Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   clear anodizing on polished aluminum (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/182967-clear-anodizing-polished-aluminum.html)

open87 03-25-2008 04:48 PM

clear anodizing on polished aluminum

can it be done?

phragle 03-25-2008 04:53 PM

it will dull the finish abit, but polishing is a usual step before the anodizing process.

ROTAX454 03-26-2008 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by CIGARETTE 1972 (Post 2499242)
can it be done?

If you are trying to keep the polishing lustre, then try using Zoops ceramic coating. Summit or Jegs has this product. The hot rod guys swear by this stuff.

Cat man do 03-26-2008 01:15 PM

Its Been Done By The Billit Companys And They Stopped Doing It Because It Peeled Off In A Year Or So.

phragle 03-26-2008 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cat man do (Post 2500495)
Its Been Done By The Billit Companys And They Stopped Doing It Because It Peeled Off In A Year Or So.

?? anodizing is a chemical change to the surface of the metal,not a coating. anodized colors may fade but it doesnt peel.

SLINGSHOT 03-27-2008 07:16 AM

Powdercoat It

Cat man do 03-27-2008 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 2500696)
?? anodizing is a chemical change to the surface of the metal,not a coating. anodized colors may fade but it doesnt peel.

NO IT WAS POLISHED BILLIT THAT HAD A CLEAR COAT OVER IT AND IT FAILED LOOKED GREAT TILL IT STARTED TO PEEL.

open87 03-27-2008 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by SLINGSHOT (Post 2501696)
Powdercoat It

sling .it was powdercoated , all of my Keith Eickert brackets , crossover etc , the powdercoat is bubbling up where the bolt/washer goes through the brackets .

sad part is the engine is sitting on a frame i built with the trans and tailstock ready to drop in . engine has not even been used and the powder coat is doing this.

i know the paint sticks i use to mix paint are anodized and i have used the same measuring sticks for years.. and the clear anodize is still intact.

Njawb 03-27-2008 02:54 PM

Anybody know what American Airlines uses?

C_Spray 03-28-2008 07:55 AM

Use "Tef-Gel" at all stainless/aluminum interfaces. It looks like the same stuff that you put on pipe threads, but it's not. Aluminum and stainless are at opposite ends of the Galvanic scale and react badly to the presence of water, especially if there is any salt in it.

I had the wheels on my car polished and powdercoated 16 years ago, and they still look great (but it is a garage queen with only 21k miles). On the other hand, I had some polished diamond plate powdercoated clear and it did kill the lustre somewhat...

Raw polished metal surfaces are a pain in the a$$ anyway. Buff it up real good and go with a colored candy powder coat (or anodizing if it's aluminum).