Notices

Diesels for boats

Old 04-25-2008, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by matador
we need a light engine like yanmar or cat and multiple gear tranny 2-3 speeds ZF or Weissman and should get decent reliable results.....

I agree..problem with Yanmar..they are too smokey..especially in reverse...The 480 Cummins is heavier and will work if they can put a few more horses behind it like they are talking about to 600hp. Multiple tranny's are great..but why dont we see them in applications???????Still 5 years out or behind the times with technology...and it also doesn't help that diesel is 40 cents a gallon more at this point.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
I agree..problem with Yanmar..they are too smokey..especially in reverse...The 480 Cummins is heavier and will work if they can put a few more horses behind it like they are talking about to 600hp. Multiple tranny's are great..but why dont we see them in applications???????Still 5 years out or behind the times with technology...and it also doesn't help that diesel is 40 cents a gallon more at this point.
55 cents more in bum-puk Illinois.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

80 cents in NJ
Old 04-25-2008, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Then and now

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
First things first

firefox - I like you, we talk on here have some fun, but your miles that a truck can run are just not possible ie:
24 hr/day x 365 days = 8760 hrs

500,000 mi divided by 8760 hrs = 57 miles per hours average speed.

I'm trying not to be insulting here but there is no way anyone can look at that and say it's possible.
Joe,

As I explained the industry has evolved a long way. Lets get the speed thing out in the open. In todays OTR industry its all efficiency. The "Log" speed is the actual average speed. Then there is the governed speed how fast the truck is set to run flat out. If a driver keep his truck's log speed within 10 mph of the trucks governed speed he won't be working for any "A" class trucking company very long. If a team can't get their log speed within 5 mph of their governed speed same thing. The company I drove for, solo's without a million miler safety award were governed @ 65 mph. Million milers, teams and some special accounts were governed @ 75 mph. There are teams that do the NY to LA run in less than 4-1/2 days on a regular basis. Back in your day that was the holy grail. In today's world it business as usual. When I was running solo I had 48 hrs home time a month. The company was cool with 60 hrs but I live in Kalifornia and had bills to pay and they didn't get paid with the truck standing still. However if I wanted to take more than 96 hours off the company's policy was clean your truck out. The biggest present day joke in the industry is the only thing "air" about air freight is the the air ride suspension on the trailer.

Last edited by 29Firefox; 04-25-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:52 AM

Ouch

Saw $4.78 a gal for #2 yesterday
Old 04-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Registered

guys,what are we talking about,oil prices or diesel configurations,anyway if you want to get into that how about burning 35-45gph vs 70-80gph,and 3000hrs vs 500 max with lots of problems in between........you do the math then.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:20 PM

Pennies on the mile

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
And I drive currently a MAN...
Thats the same truck maker that built the Very first diesels ever and many U-boats had them too.

Now regarding the claims of how much a US trucker makes I have to take Firefoxes claims with a load of salt and the miles would be 5 times more than I do at 60hrs weeks working 5 days a week.
Now you had to talk about gross pay and as a O/O which equals to about 60-70thou at the bottom line max.
I know a few Truckers overthere as O/O and they cry out currently when they hear what I make as an employee...
Read all my posts did I mention one word about how much a driver makes? You hit it right on the head a US driver has to run max miles just to make a living. Thats why I'm wrenching and not driving
Old 04-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
Read all my posts did I mention one word about how much a driver makes? You hit it right on the head a US driver has to run max miles just to make a living. Thats why I'm wrenching and not driving

get back on topic U guys..or start you're own thread.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe

For you doubting Thomases, I attached a my first peice of press ever. Look at the bottom it talks about classes starting in 1983. If you can read it I all ready had 350 trucks and trailers by that time, I started the business in 1979 running all team trucks from NY to LA and back. I may not be able to give you exact reasons as to why the V-8's were bad, but I know they cost me money and couldn't stay together.
Scania had a Similar problem with the 143 model..the ones before it was good and all after it.
Nowadays MAN has a 680hp Truck V8, Mercedes has a V8 in the Actros and Scania is well known as the best of the best and was before Euro5 emission at 620 hp.
Even Cat has to agree.
The Scania V8 is a 800hp version as a Marine engine..used to be 850/1100hp and 100c.i less than the old 3408 Cat.
I know the US V8 diesels have been quite troublesome-..except the Two Strokes.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
Joe,

As I explained the industry has evolved a long way. Lets get the speed thing out in the open. In todays OTR industry its all efficiency. The "Log" speed is the actual average speed. Then there is the governed speed how fast the truck is set to run flat out. If a driver keep his truck's log speed within 10 mph of the trucks governed speed he won't be working for any "A" class trucking company very long. If a team can't get their log speed within 5 mph of their governed speed same thing. The company I drove for, solo's without a million miler safety award were governed @ 65 mph. Million milers, teams and some special accounts were governed @ 75 mph. There are teams that do the NY to LA run in less than 4-1/2 days on a regular basis. Back in your day that was the holy grail. In today's world it business as usual. When I was running solo I had 48 hrs home time a month. The company was cool with 60 hrs but I live in Kalifornia and had bills to pay and they didn't get paid with the truck standing still. However if I wanted to take more than 96 hours off the company's policy was clean your truck out. The biggest present day joke in the industry is the only thing "air" about air freight is the the air ride suspension on the trailer.
Oh boy...I see a lot of problems in that and how to improve the business..but lets just say with that you just wrote you ainīt gonna solve any efficieny or employment shortages,, You just run the guys and the equipment to the ground.
I have 48hrs at home every week and still earn about double and our companies somehow can afford it.
now if that same thinking you wrote goes on in the US marine industry no wonder they are in a problem too while trying to figure out diesels and highperformance boating.
Now Europeans do it constantly already..the key is Surface drives high Rpm Diesels and multigearboxes...
Enter Pat Weissman.

Quick Reply: Diesels for boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.