Like Tree0Likes

Diesels for boats

Reply
Old 04-25-2008, 08:02 AM
  #151
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matador View Post
we need a light engine like yanmar or cat and multiple gear tranny 2-3 speeds ZF or Weissman and should get decent reliable results.....

I agree..problem with Yanmar..they are too smokey..especially in reverse...The 480 Cummins is heavier and will work if they can put a few more horses behind it like they are talking about to 600hp. Multiple tranny's are great..but why dont we see them in applications???????Still 5 years out or behind the times with technology...and it also doesn't help that diesel is 40 cents a gallon more at this point.
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:27 AM
  #152
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Knot 4 Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central IL
My Boats: Old/Heavy/Slow
Posts: 6,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
I agree..problem with Yanmar..they are too smokey..especially in reverse...The 480 Cummins is heavier and will work if they can put a few more horses behind it like they are talking about to 600hp. Multiple tranny's are great..but why dont we see them in applications???????Still 5 years out or behind the times with technology...and it also doesn't help that diesel is 40 cents a gallon more at this point.
55 cents more in bum-puk Illinois.
Knot 4 Me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:35 AM
  #153
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Freehold, NJ
My Boats: 32 SeaCraft
Posts: 1,381
Default

80 cents in NJ
HabanaJoe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:46 PM
  #154
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West edge of the Pacific
My Boats: Beat up ole Sleekcraft
Posts: 610
Then and now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabanaJoe View Post
First things first

firefox - I like you, we talk on here have some fun, but your miles that a truck can run are just not possible ie:
24 hr/day x 365 days = 8760 hrs

500,000 mi divided by 8760 hrs = 57 miles per hours average speed.

I'm trying not to be insulting here but there is no way anyone can look at that and say it's possible.
Joe,

As I explained the industry has evolved a long way. Lets get the speed thing out in the open. In todays OTR industry its all efficiency. The "Log" speed is the actual average speed. Then there is the governed speed how fast the truck is set to run flat out. If a driver keep his truck's log speed within 10 mph of the trucks governed speed he won't be working for any "A" class trucking company very long. If a team can't get their log speed within 5 mph of their governed speed same thing. The company I drove for, solo's without a million miler safety award were governed @ 65 mph. Million milers, teams and some special accounts were governed @ 75 mph. There are teams that do the NY to LA run in less than 4-1/2 days on a regular basis. Back in your day that was the holy grail. In today's world it business as usual. When I was running solo I had 48 hrs home time a month. The company was cool with 60 hrs but I live in Kalifornia and had bills to pay and they didn't get paid with the truck standing still. However if I wanted to take more than 96 hours off the company's policy was clean your truck out. The biggest present day joke in the industry is the only thing "air" about air freight is the the air ride suspension on the trailer.

Last edited by 29Firefox; 04-25-2008 at 12:54 PM.
29Firefox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:52 PM
  #155
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West edge of the Pacific
My Boats: Beat up ole Sleekcraft
Posts: 610
Ouch

Saw $4.78 a gal for #2 yesterday
29Firefox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:21 PM
  #156
Registered
 
matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
My Boats: 42 victory offshore racing team
Posts: 51
Default

guys,what are we talking about,oil prices or diesel configurations,anyway if you want to get into that how about burning 35-45gph vs 70-80gph,and 3000hrs vs 500 max with lots of problems in between........you do the math then.
matador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:20 AM
  #157
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West edge of the Pacific
My Boats: Beat up ole Sleekcraft
Posts: 610
Pennies on the mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
And I drive currently a MAN...
Thats the same truck maker that built the Very first diesels ever and many U-boats had them too.

Now regarding the claims of how much a US trucker makes I have to take Firefoxes claims with a load of salt and the miles would be 5 times more than I do at 60hrs weeks working 5 days a week.
Now you had to talk about gross pay and as a O/O which equals to about 60-70thou at the bottom line max.
I know a few Truckers overthere as O/O and they cry out currently when they hear what I make as an employee...
Read all my posts did I mention one word about how much a driver makes? You hit it right on the head a US driver has to run max miles just to make a living. Thats why I'm wrenching and not driving
29Firefox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:49 AM
  #158
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Firefox View Post
Read all my posts did I mention one word about how much a driver makes? You hit it right on the head a US driver has to run max miles just to make a living. Thats why I'm wrenching and not driving


get back on topic U guys..or start you're own thread.
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:12 AM
  #159
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Turku, Finland
My Boats: Something small blown and light
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabanaJoe View Post

For you doubting Thomases, I attached a my first peice of press ever. Look at the bottom it talks about classes starting in 1983. If you can read it I all ready had 350 trucks and trailers by that time, I started the business in 1979 running all team trucks from NY to LA and back. I may not be able to give you exact reasons as to why the V-8's were bad, but I know they cost me money and couldn't stay together.
Scania had a Similar problem with the 143 model..the ones before it was good and all after it.
Nowadays MAN has a 680hp Truck V8, Mercedes has a V8 in the Actros and Scania is well known as the best of the best and was before Euro5 emission at 620 hp.
Even Cat has to agree.
The Scania V8 is a 800hp version as a Marine engine..used to be 850/1100hp and 100c.i less than the old 3408 Cat.
I know the US V8 diesels have been quite troublesome-..except the Two Strokes.
MikeyFIN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:20 AM
  #160
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Turku, Finland
My Boats: Something small blown and light
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Firefox View Post
Joe,

As I explained the industry has evolved a long way. Lets get the speed thing out in the open. In todays OTR industry its all efficiency. The "Log" speed is the actual average speed. Then there is the governed speed how fast the truck is set to run flat out. If a driver keep his truck's log speed within 10 mph of the trucks governed speed he won't be working for any "A" class trucking company very long. If a team can't get their log speed within 5 mph of their governed speed same thing. The company I drove for, solo's without a million miler safety award were governed @ 65 mph. Million milers, teams and some special accounts were governed @ 75 mph. There are teams that do the NY to LA run in less than 4-1/2 days on a regular basis. Back in your day that was the holy grail. In today's world it business as usual. When I was running solo I had 48 hrs home time a month. The company was cool with 60 hrs but I live in Kalifornia and had bills to pay and they didn't get paid with the truck standing still. However if I wanted to take more than 96 hours off the company's policy was clean your truck out. The biggest present day joke in the industry is the only thing "air" about air freight is the the air ride suspension on the trailer.
Oh boy...I see a lot of problems in that and how to improve the business..but lets just say with that you just wrote you ainīt gonna solve any efficieny or employment shortages,, You just run the guys and the equipment to the ground.
I have 48hrs at home every week and still earn about double and our companies somehow can afford it.
now if that same thinking you wrote goes on in the US marine industry no wonder they are in a problem too while trying to figure out diesels and highperformance boating.
Now Europeans do it constantly already..the key is Surface drives high Rpm Diesels and multigearboxes...
Enter Pat Weissman.
MikeyFIN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
FROGMAN524
MTI (Marine Technologies)
31
06-02-2009 11:53 PM
45sonic
General Q & A
18
12-30-2008 08:06 AM
Fenderjack
General Boating Discussion
2
03-11-2008 09:37 AM
Quicksilver
Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
12
02-02-2008 12:21 AM
Jassman
General Boating Discussion
27
01-27-2007 10:01 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.