Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT : home stereo speakers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/18562-ot-home-stereo-speakers.html)

ActiveFun 02-21-2002 11:58 AM

Hey Audiofn,
Installing a pair of Wilsons or Genesis?

BigMike 02-21-2002 04:38 PM

Be very careful when shopping for speakers (especially on EBAY). I have done alot of research and shopping over the past few months and can attest that a speaker system seems to be one of those things in life where you get what you pay for (to a point). B&W makes great speakers. I have a CC6 center channel and like it. Be warned though that B&W speakers seem to have a much "smoother and mellow" sound than some of its competitors. I loved the CC6 when I first bought it, but after listening to a Klipsch Reference Series center channel speaker, I hate my CC6 now. Its all in your taste. I thought I would like the smooth, mellow B&W's until I realized that my tastes in music favor a more "in your face speaker system" like the Klipsch Reference Series with the loaded horn. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the popular mid-price brands including B&W (yes, they do make reasonably priced speakers), Definitive Technology (check out the new Power Monitors--AWESOME!!!), Jamo, Paradigm, Klipsch, Mirage, etc.

Whatever you do---LISTEN BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!!

Also check out SVS for subwoofers. They are nasty!!!

Mike

26scarab 02-21-2002 05:06 PM

Thanks everyone for the all the replies.

Now I'm more confused than ever !!LOL

I know now that I need to win the loto and have Audio come over to my $150k house and put in a $100k stereo system !!!:D

I think I'm better off buying a walkman and spending the money on the boat !

Lee 02-21-2002 05:10 PM

Chuck, What's up with you working noons? that has to put a crimp in the lifestyle.

FWK 02-21-2002 07:07 PM

In most cases a great home theater speaker like M and K will not play music as well as a B and W. I have found in most cases a home theater speaker is designed for just that and a musical speaker will play music well and not do the home theater as well as we would like. Be careful of purchasing on e-bay or on the net as you can get burned. You may get a great deal and find you have no manufacturers warranty only the seller provides there own . Which is normally not good. Forrest

26scarab 02-21-2002 07:15 PM

Lee,
With all the Corporate (bull****) cutbacks,they eliminated our overtime.
Well the night shift gets a 10% premium and only
works Monday night thru Thursday night (4 10's).
I get more work done since there isn't too many interuptions (sp).
It works out quite well , a 3 day weekend every
weekend !!

Lee 02-22-2002 10:55 AM

WOW Chuck that sound like a better deal, even better with summer just around the cornor:D

obnoxus 02-22-2002 11:05 AM

BIG MIKE is right,,, I tried buying a cd changer from ebay from Dan Scontos ( beware ) I paid with Paypal 2 minutes after the auction eneded,,, he took the money, I never got the changer. And just for the record I have one comming from Audiofn !!!! At least I know I can trust him !!!!!