Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Are cats really that dangerous? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/185936-cats-really-dangerous.html)

stainless 05-07-2008 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 2550838)
El Boss ....... 36 Cig Sport class.... 30 Shadow Sport class. The owner, Willie Diaz, had both and chose the Shadow for the entire 1982 season...rough or calm...and beat a number of 36 Cigarettes (White Heat, etc).

P.S. with identical aluminum Eickhert engines the cat was 36 mph faster

Maxon 30' Chris Cat.....Open class 1985-86.......... against various Cigarettes............. and Apaches.

Various modified Chris cats and Shadows..... versus Wild Turkey 36' Modified Cigarette.

etc, etc, etc,

Nice try.......... Wrong debate:p

T2x

Are you guys aware T2x has an entire dvd series adressing this issue? I believe it's entitled "Cats conquer offshore" and it's excellent ! Should be required viewing for anyone interested in this topic !!:D

fountain4play 05-07-2008 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Von Bongo (Post 2550019)
Boy that's different than I was quoted. A 26 daytona with a 496ho is about an 80 MPH boat, and it was between 3 and 4K plus the tres course.

Never even came close to $1000 on my 28 pantera that ran close to that. 30 years of boating, never a claim, married with children, 760 credit scores, last speeding ticket was 15 years ago.

You must have a source other than Merkel.

The only other carrier besides Markel that I know of is American Reliable and they will insure a cat...

I have mine with them but they typically won't insure a a first time cat owner and you still need to have gone through and passed a course like Tres' offers, which is well worth the investment in my opinion.

All said and done it was still around $5600.00 with a 6 month lay-up, designated driver policy and inland waterway's only, not including Tres's course... Even if you could find someone else to write the policy at a lower premium they probably wouldn't cover what you need if there was a claim.

aex 05-07-2008 07:55 PM

In the late 80s I ran a 30 Chris Cat . We consistently beat the 41 Apaches , Gigarettes , 12 meters etc . in any water conditions .
In 1990 at Virginia beach we placed second in nasty water to a big V hull and trailed by only 30 seconds , with a snapped off trim hose I might add . Ask any throttleman how hard that is , talk about feathering the throttles .
The cat / v debate will never end . Once I got in the cat I never looked back . To each his own and respect for all .
As far as danger is concerned let's face it speed kills , the faster you go , the faster you may go .

Michael1 05-08-2008 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 2550817)
Cats ride smoother than vees..to the point that you need to stand up in a small vee or risk injuring your back...versus cats that all have seats........ a 24 Skater has much less impact than a 24 vee in racing conditions.......

Cats slap up to about 40 or 50 mph, which while fast for a vee, is a "transition speed for cats

I'm not really disagreeing with you, but I think there is probably more to this subject, than just one riding better than another. I think the type of water has a lot to do how each hull type is going to respond. Even the Skater guys say you really need a 36 for the slop we have here in So. Cal.

Michael

randian 05-08-2008 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by fountain4play (Post 2550898)
I have mine with them but they typically won't insure a a first time cat owner and you still need to have gone through and passed a course like Tres' offers, which is well worth the investment in my opinion.

How can those of us who didn't own a cat before the "no first-timers" rule came into effect buy a cat? The logic of that rule means that when all the long-time cat owners have died or quit cats will be uninsurable (because all owners will then be first-timers).

Chris Sunkin 05-08-2008 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by aex (Post 2551166)
In the late 80s I ran a 30 Chris Cat . We consistently beat the 41 Apaches , Gigarettes , 12 meters etc . in any water conditions .

Stop by sometime. We'll pop in a couple of my old Needle Nose video tapes and you can watch the Apaches motoring past all the cats in heavy water.

stainless 05-08-2008 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2551516)
Stop by sometime. We'll pop in a couple of my old Needle Nose video tapes and you can watch the Apaches motoring past all the cats in heavy water.

Are you aware that it was T2x who was flying in the helicopter and narrating those old Needle Nose Video tapes ? See what he has to say on this topic in his previous posts !:D :party-smiley-004:

Chris Sunkin 05-08-2008 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by stainless (Post 2551528)
Are you aware that it was T2x who was flying in the helicopter and narrating those old Needle Nose Video tapes ? See what he has to say on this topic in his previous posts !:D :party-smiley-004:

Yes, I do. I was at many of those races as well.

Like I said, you can come and watch the tapes. When it was really rough, the big vees were passing cats. Did the cats blow past on the inlet legs of the course- sure.

T2x 05-08-2008 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2551567)
Yes, I do. I was at many of those races as well.

Like I said, you can come and watch the tapes. When it was really rough, the big vees were passing cats. Did the cats blow past on the inlet legs of the course- sure.

Memories are selective...... but, in truth the 41 Apache with Bobby Saccenti on throttles ran one of the greatest rough water legs ever...as seen all over the web. However, once the Chris Cats, Jaguars and 40' Skaters hit the scene..... things changed dramatically and I have to say the best rough water performance I ever saw.....and I saw a LOT...... was the Spirit of Norway at Ocean City Maryland in small craft warning conditions eating the 46' Apache "Tweets Revenge" for breakfast.

What made that performance such a slam dunk was the fact that the Skater was so much smaller than the Apache.

I also remember the great Bobby Idoni, in Lorne Liebel's Apache CAT....running heads up with Billy Martin in an Aluminum CUV vee bottom (one of the best rough water hulls ever) in stormy seas on Lake MIchigan.

While there may still be a debate in some minds, to me the discussion ended regarding cats and rough water in the early 80's.

The only caveat, I have, regards the West Coast cats, which came on the scene in the early to mid 90's and barrel rolled, stuffed, and slogged there way along, and generally put the progress that other cat builders (Cougars, Shadows, Skaters, Jaguar, etc) made back at least 20 years. and while they fill the pages of our major magazines seemingly every month, they are still the same combination of awkward lines, poor forward entry and faulty aero and hydro dynamics that characterized them from day one.

T2x

stainless 05-08-2008 07:56 AM

T2x , do you remember the year on that one? (Ocen City, MD) We ran there in 92 with us offshore and it sounds like the same race . Remember the whiplash 28 skater ?