Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Do you drive on or winch on the trailer? >

Do you drive on or winch on the trailer?

Notices

Do you drive on or winch on the trailer?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
I keep 1/3 of the trailer out of the water, line boat up and drive on slowly, then get up a little more with slight throttle as my wife backs up slowly..turn off everything walk across the deck and climb down, hook up and winch up rest of way and if need be my wife backs up a little more to get up the rest of the way. move out the way for the next guy and then put the 4 straps on.
Ditto except I have a girlfriend, not a wife!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I winched it on the last couple of feet...
Old 08-25-2008, 01:48 PM

Winch it up, if it is not lining up, move your trailer bunks closer together. If you can't winch, back up a foot into the water. I see more boats damaged by driving onto the trailer. You can hit the prop on the trailer, hit a rock, hit your truck with the boat (yes it happens), not to mention we usually have 4 boats deep waiting to get out, you send everyone holding onto their boats for dear life.

Honestly when I see someone at the ramp throtteling up on the trailer I tell everyone to get the hell back because this guy has no idea what he is doing!!!!

Will
Old 08-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
Winch it up, if it is not lining up, move your trailer bunks closer together. If you can't winch, back up a foot into the water. I see more boats damaged by driving onto the trailer. You can hit the prop on the trailer, hit a rock, hit your truck with the boat (yes it happens), not to mention we usually have 4 boats deep waiting to get out, you send everyone holding onto their boats for dear life.

Honestly when I see someone at the ramp throtteling up on the trailer I tell everyone to get the hell back because this guy has no idea what he is doing!!!!

Will
Funny, we think the same thing about the winch-on guys at our ramps. It all comes down to trailer placement in the water. I can load by myself...have had to do it for years due to a lame duck wife. I hit the center of the trailer slowly, let it glide up, burp the throttle once, twice max, and I have the bow eye right up against the roller. Hop off the bow to the trailer, attach the strap and crank her tight, and I'm off and on my way. No muss, no fuss, and have not tore one thing up in 11 years of doing it. I've seen others at the ramp that appear to be full throttle trying to drive the boat, trailer, and truck clear up the ramp. Those are the guys that give power loading a bad rap.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Like I said on another forum if you powerload in Michigan you might get shot!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is how we do it
Attached Thumbnails Do you drive on or winch on the trailer?-jag-fork-lift-8-11-07.jpg  
Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Funny, we think the same thing about the winch-on guys at our ramps. It all comes down to trailer placement in the water. I can load by myself...have had to do it for years due to a lame duck wife. I hit the center of the trailer slowly, let it glide up, burp the throttle once, twice max, and I have the bow eye right up against the roller. Hop off the bow to the trailer, attach the strap and crank her tight, and I'm off and on my way. No muss, no fuss, and have not tore one thing up in 11 years of doing it. I've seen others at the ramp that appear to be full throttle trying to drive the boat, trailer, and truck clear up the ramp. Those are the guys that give power loading a bad rap.

The only thing I hear you load up is Mentlepause's head on his 350SS
Old 08-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Power loading is for people who do not know how to load!
It ruins the ramp.

Float them on and do it right!
Old 08-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
The only thing I hear you load up is Mentlepause's head on his 350SS
Ask MP how many guys it takes to open a fridge door in the cockpit of a 350SS and what the best way is to cook frozen ribeyes!! We missed you and Sandy!! Maybe next year?!
Old 08-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I agree with you. Its about the trailer placement. I'm in and out before you guys get your winch cable hooked up.

Quick Reply: Do you drive on or winch on the trailer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.