Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Do you drive on or winch on the trailer? >

Do you drive on or winch on the trailer?

Like Tree0Likes

Do you drive on or winch on the trailer?

Reply

Old 08-25-2008, 12:34 PM
  #21
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Tom A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New Jersey
My Boat: Necessary Evil .............Donzi 38 ZrComp.............
Posts: 4,220
Default

Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
I keep 1/3 of the trailer out of the water, line boat up and drive on slowly, then get up a little more with slight throttle as my wife backs up slowly..turn off everything walk across the deck and climb down, hook up and winch up rest of way and if need be my wife backs up a little more to get up the rest of the way. move out the way for the next guy and then put the 4 straps on.
Ditto except I have a girlfriend, not a wife!
Tom A. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:41 PM
  #22
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Big Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Westport, CT
Posts: 1,470
Default

I winched it on the last couple of feet...
Big Time is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:48 PM
  #23
Registered User
 
BAJA WILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Tampa, Indian Shores Beach
My Boat: Don't even mention the word boat
Posts: 3,300
Default

Winch it up, if it is not lining up, move your trailer bunks closer together. If you can't winch, back up a foot into the water. I see more boats damaged by driving onto the trailer. You can hit the prop on the trailer, hit a rock, hit your truck with the boat (yes it happens), not to mention we usually have 4 boats deep waiting to get out, you send everyone holding onto their boats for dear life.

Honestly when I see someone at the ramp throtteling up on the trailer I tell everyone to get the hell back because this guy has no idea what he is doing!!!!

Will
BAJA WILL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:08 PM
  #24
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Knot 4 Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central IL, LOTO
My Boat: 2018 Princecraft Tritoon w/300 VRod
Posts: 7,319
Default

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL View Post
Winch it up, if it is not lining up, move your trailer bunks closer together. If you can't winch, back up a foot into the water. I see more boats damaged by driving onto the trailer. You can hit the prop on the trailer, hit a rock, hit your truck with the boat (yes it happens), not to mention we usually have 4 boats deep waiting to get out, you send everyone holding onto their boats for dear life.

Honestly when I see someone at the ramp throtteling up on the trailer I tell everyone to get the hell back because this guy has no idea what he is doing!!!!

Will
Funny, we think the same thing about the winch-on guys at our ramps. It all comes down to trailer placement in the water. I can load by myself...have had to do it for years due to a lame duck wife. I hit the center of the trailer slowly, let it glide up, burp the throttle once, twice max, and I have the bow eye right up against the roller. Hop off the bow to the trailer, attach the strap and crank her tight, and I'm off and on my way. No muss, no fuss, and have not tore one thing up in 11 years of doing it. I've seen others at the ramp that appear to be full throttle trying to drive the boat, trailer, and truck clear up the ramp. Those are the guys that give power loading a bad rap.
Knot 4 Me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:23 PM
  #25
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
onesickpantera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
My Boat: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Posts: 4,324
Default

Like I said on another forum if you powerload in Michigan you might get shot!
onesickpantera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:38 PM
  #26
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 1,297
Default

This is how we do it
Attached Thumbnails Do you drive on or winch on the trailer?-jag-fork-lift-8-11-07.jpg  
Dueclaws is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 PM
  #27
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,374
Default

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
Funny, we think the same thing about the winch-on guys at our ramps. It all comes down to trailer placement in the water. I can load by myself...have had to do it for years due to a lame duck wife. I hit the center of the trailer slowly, let it glide up, burp the throttle once, twice max, and I have the bow eye right up against the roller. Hop off the bow to the trailer, attach the strap and crank her tight, and I'm off and on my way. No muss, no fuss, and have not tore one thing up in 11 years of doing it. I've seen others at the ramp that appear to be full throttle trying to drive the boat, trailer, and truck clear up the ramp. Those are the guys that give power loading a bad rap.

The only thing I hear you load up is Mentlepause's head on his 350SS
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:54 PM
  #28
Registered
 
KNOT-RIGHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Providence,RI
My Boat: Turbine 46 Skater
Posts: 3,183
Default

Power loading is for people who do not know how to load!
It ruins the ramp.


Float them on and do it right!
KNOT-RIGHT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:55 PM
  #29
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Knot 4 Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central IL, LOTO
My Boat: 2018 Princecraft Tritoon w/300 VRod
Posts: 7,319
Default

Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
The only thing I hear you load up is Mentlepause's head on his 350SS
Ask MP how many guys it takes to open a fridge door in the cockpit of a 350SS and what the best way is to cook frozen ribeyes!! We missed you and Sandy!! Maybe next year?!
Knot 4 Me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:12 PM
  #30
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas
Posts: 2,111
Default

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
Funny, we think the same thing about the winch-on guys at our ramps. It all comes down to trailer placement in the water. I can load by myself...have had to do it for years due to a lame duck wife. I hit the center of the trailer slowly, let it glide up, burp the throttle once, twice max, and I have the bow eye right up against the roller. Hop off the bow to the trailer, attach the strap and crank her tight, and I'm off and on my way. No muss, no fuss, and have not tore one thing up in 11 years of doing it. I've seen others at the ramp that appear to be full throttle trying to drive the boat, trailer, and truck clear up the ramp. Those are the guys that give power loading a bad rap.
I agree with you. Its about the trailer placement. I'm in and out before you guys get your winch cable hooked up.
MOBILEMERCMAN is offline  
Reply With Quote

Quick Reply: Do you drive on or winch on the trailer?


OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser