Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Accident at Cumberland Poker Run >

Accident at Cumberland Poker Run

Notices

Accident at Cumberland Poker Run

Old 09-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Very sad. Just sucks. Great boat and from what I heard great crew/owner.

There was a really cool article on Kevin Sellers and the "Pammy" boat a few months back in (I believe) Extreme boats mag.
Attached Thumbnails Accident at Cumberland Poker Run-accident.bmp   Accident at Cumberland Poker Run-accident2.bmp   Accident at Cumberland Poker Run-accident3.bmp  

Old 09-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

(If some think the pics posted are in bad taste, I'll remove them. The only reason I thought they should be posted is to give and Idea of what happened, since it's in all our natures to wonder and learn how to avoid this type of thing if possible. They were taken from another website.)
Attached Thumbnails Accident at Cumberland Poker Run-accident4.bmp   Accident at Cumberland Poker Run-accident5.bmp   Accident at Cumberland Poker Run-accident6.bmp  

Last edited by thisistank; 09-06-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those pics are hard to look at knowing that a life was lost.

Prayers to all involved.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

I was in the Poker Run today but I didn't see what happened as this terrible accident happened with the first wave of boats. Here is what I do know from a friend of mine who pulled the driver out of the water, and from another friend who was sitting right in front of the accident and also saw it happen.

These two eyewitnesses both said that the boat was running "balls to the walls" to catch up to the three or so boats in front of him - that he was gaining on them quick when it happened. They estimated that he was doing 120 (maybe more) when he hit a big roller - launched 20+ feet into the air, inverted upside down in the air ejecting the passengers, then the boat barrel rolled. Contrary to what others have reported, these two eyewitnesses say that he was not avoiding spectators, that he just hit a big roller and launched.

Boaters who knew him on the dock say that this gentleman had been talking last night about how this boat and the speeds that it could achieve were making him uneasy, and that he was seriously considering buying a much slower and less stressful top gun to take to poker runs. Everyone said he was a heck of a nice guy.

The one friend says a buddy on our dock caught the accident on video so authorities should be able to determine exactly what happened.

It's just a sad scene here on Cumberland.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
since it's in all our natures to wonder and learn how to avoid this type of thing if possible).
one word.

OFFSHORE
Old 09-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, RIP, get well quickly.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
(If some think the pics posted are in bad taste, I'll remove them. The only reason I thought they should be posted is to give and Idea of what happened, since it's in all our natures to wonder and learn how to avoid this type of thing if possible).
Some of those pics look very much like ones that I took

I did not see any spectators in the way, but they were out of control and the water was VERY rough. He looked to be crossing a wake to overtake a boat, I grabed the camera, stepped up onto the deck and that is what I saw happen. The police had no mention of spectators. I don't know who was with him, needless to say everyone in the Indy group as well as all who knew him were shaken by the events of the day. I was told it is all on video from the helo above him in the picture.

RIP Kevin you will be missed
Old 09-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Met and ran with Skater Bro Kevin a couple times l. He was truly top of the line in this sport. He will be missed. Our condolences RIP..godspeed
Old 09-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Registered

From Lk Cumberland site...another eyewitness...

Pop-O_826

Master Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mood: FLORIDA-41-ohio state-14 & LSU-38-ohio state-24
posted on 9-6-2008 at 05:25 PM

Not how I saw it

Quote:
Originally posted by cumberline
Perhaps someone who actually saw the incident can tell, but I've been told 2nd hand that he was near a houseboat and hit wake.

We were on the right bank on our houseboat. MOTORS OFF and drifting with the wind! They had passed us and were 1/2 to 3/4 mile past us starting to make a left turn. There were lots of boats on both sides of that turn and it was close in there. He had to turn hard left because he didn't have room to make a wide easy turn. Hooked and barrel rolled at speed.
Didn't see any houseboats near!
Old 09-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Registered

Rip

Quick Reply: Accident at Cumberland Poker Run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.