Accident at Cumberland Poker Run >

Accident at Cumberland Poker Run

Notices

Accident at Cumberland Poker Run

Old 09-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boatme
Kevin was a great guy and very giving when it came to helping others I enjoyed the time I spent talking with him about boats, charities, and life in general. We were not super close friends but we were good boating friends and I will miss his enthusiasm for the sport we all love

I feel I need to tell this story as I think it had great irony in the wake of his death

In 2005 a 42’ Outerlimits was running in our poker run (Smoke On The Water) when it flipped over and 4 men were ejected. Two men survived and two perished at our event one body was never recovered.
Kevin sellers was one of the first boats at the accident site and immediately jumped from his boat into the cold lake Michigan waters to provide assistance.
Kevin helped the two men who were struggling in the water the best he could,and then tried to help with the body of one man floating unconscious. (as well as OU Want Some, MTI 42 and a few others ) Kevin acted heroic and with great concern for others with never giving a second thought to his exposure to fuel, cold water, and floating debris

Once the coast Guard arrived they took the body of Johnny Desusa (One of the men that perished) aboard there vessel, and then fished Kevin out of the cold waters onto there boat. By this time I had arrived at the accident site in our Cigarette. As we pulled up to the Coast Guard boat we informed them that I had two nurses aboard (My wife Cherie and her best friend Karen) and asked if they need there assistance The CG asked them to get aboard to help. At this point both girls went to the bow of our boat to be transferred to CG boat My wife stepped off and got on board the CG boat. Next was Karen, as she attempted to transfer from one boat to the other, the boats separated and Karen ended up falling in the water. At this moment it was not the CG that dove in to provide Karen with assistance, but was Kevin Sellers diving back in the cold water off of the CG boat to make sure Karen was ok, and helped her get on board the CG boat safely.
Kevin knew more than most, the risks involved with this sport, and has seen first hand the outcome of a high speed accident.

Kevin and I talked a few times about that day, and how he was affected by being involved in the SOTW rescue.

Kevin gave of his time to take the Make A Wish kids for rides and support of our event.
He gave of himself in helping to rescue at our event
He gave us all a smile with his enthusiasm
He gave us pause as we walked passed his eye catching boat
He gave his life doing what he loved almost more than anything else in life (Performance Boating)

I am sure when Kevin gets to the pearly gates the first thing he is going to want to know is where the boats are

God speed my friend your life here gave us all much joy and in your passing I am sure it will give us change

Marc Blondin
PRO LLC
Smoke On The Water Poker Run
Great Story Thanks . R.I.P
Old 09-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cannot believe it! Kevin was a great guy! So sad to hear!
Old 09-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BatGirl
Just asking a question. Does not seem likely one would operate a boat with one drive all the way up and the other down.
when a boat flips, the water usaully shorts wiring and causes the trim pumps and all electical to short out and start running.
drives and tabs will move and make them look just like what is pictured
people ask questions, and we need to answer them correctly. some people dont know the results after a tragic accident
mike
Old 09-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

I am still choked up over this

RIP Kevin
Old 09-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
Kevin was a great guy and very giving when it came to helping others I enjoyed the time I spent talking with him about boats, charities, and life in general. We were not super close friends but we were good boating friends and I will miss his enthusiasm for the sport we all love

I feel I need to tell this story as I think it had great irony in the wake of his death

In 2005 a 42’ Outerlimits was running in our poker run (Smoke On The Water) when it flipped over and 4 men were ejected. Two men survived and two perished at our event one body was never recovered.
Kevin sellers was one of the first boats at the accident site and immediately jumped from his boat into the cold lake Michigan waters to provide assistance.
Kevin helped the two men who were struggling in the water the best he could,and then tried to help with the body of one man floating unconscious. (as well as OU Want Some, MTI 42 and a few others ) Kevin acted heroic and with great concern for others with never giving a second thought to his exposure to fuel, cold water, and floating debris

Once the coast Guard arrived they took the body of Johnny Desusa (One of the men that perished) aboard there vessel, and then fished Kevin out of the cold waters onto there boat. By this time I had arrived at the accident site in our Cigarette. As we pulled up to the Coast Guard boat we informed them that I had two nurses aboard (My wife Cherie and her best friend Karen) and asked if they need there assistance The CG asked them to get aboard to help. At this point both girls went to the bow of our boat to be transferred to CG boat My wife stepped off and got on board the CG boat. Next was Karen, as she attempted to transfer from one boat to the other, the boats separated and Karen ended up falling in the water. At this moment it was not the CG that dove in to provide Karen with assistance, but was Kevin Sellers diving back in the cold water off of the CG boat to make sure Karen was ok, and helped her get on board the CG boat safely.
Kevin knew more than most, the risks involved with this sport, and has seen first hand the outcome of a high speed accident.

Kevin and I talked a few times about that day, and how he was affected by being involved in the SOTW rescue.

Kevin gave of his time to take the Make A Wish kids for rides and support of our event.
He gave of himself in helping to rescue at our event
He gave us all a smile with his enthusiasm
He gave us pause as we walked passed his eye catching boat
He gave his life doing what he loved almost more than anything else in life (Performance Boating)

I am sure when Kevin gets to the pearly gates the first thing he is going to want to know is where the boats are

God speed my friend your life here gave us all much joy and in your passing I am sure it will give us change

Marc Blondin
PRO LLC
Smoke On The Water Poker Run
Thank you for posting this Story on what kind of person
was lost.

May God Bless his family and friends.

RIP
Old 09-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poker run accident

hello , my name is craig stumpf. i was the passenger on the 36 skater know as pammy, with my long time friend kevin sellers. i want to thank you for your thoughts and prayers. he was a great friend and loved by many. he passed from a neck injury. im fine just beat up . thank you
Old 09-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BatGirl
Just asking a question. Does not seem likely one would operate a boat with one drive all the way up and the other down.
In looking at the pics that were posted earlier the port side was the one that appears to have struck the water first when it was sideways, the amount of force at an odd angle of attack would have been tremendous.

I'm sure that will be looked at but it's entirely possible the force of the impact caused it to raise, but then again the experts I'm sure will look at everything to see if anything failed prior to the crash or was something that happened during or possibly when they were attempting to put it on the trailer.

Either way it was a very sad occurrence and from all accounts a quality individual was taken from all of us in the boating community.

Godspeed....RIP
Old 09-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered

Location: Home of WILD TURKEY 101 & State Dock Lake Cumberland
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by craig s
hello , my name is craig stumpf. i was the passenger on the 36 skater know as pammy, with my long time friend kevin sellers. i want to thank you for your thoughts and prayers. he was a great friend and loved by many. he passed from a neck injury. im fine just beat up . thank you

Good to hear you're ok, I was in the white chevy pick-up when you and your party pulled in to the "Marine Assist" property...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0-100mph in 10 seconds!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvRllFBsNn4

HOUSEBOAT WEBCAM
http://66.38.54.83:5001/

Last edited by Boat Racer; 09-07-2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: FREAKIN' typo
Old 09-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very sad to read, we met him once or twice at a Poker Run the boat sure was a crowd pleaser.

Rest in peace Kevin, and condolences to his family and many friends.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Rip

Quick Reply: Accident at Cumberland Poker Run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.