If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Question Need help removing K-Planes.

The snow is melting and boating season is coming!!!

I need to remove my K-Planes from the transom of my boat. I have removed all the necessary bolts. The sealant used from the factory is very strong and I am afraid that if I "pull" them off it may take some of the gel coat/fiberglass with it.

Any hints or secrets for easier removal?

Cain Crew
    how about using a knife to cut the sealent around the tabs. and if needed use piano wire to slide under the tab

Charter Member #232 Charter Member Audiofn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
    Carlisle, MA USA
    Heat. A heat gun will work but takes a long time. If you are refinishing the tabs then a torch works as well. more then likely they are held on with 5200 so you have a project ahead of you to get them off. Take your time as your concern of ripping off the gel coat is a good one. Heat around the bolt as that is likely where they put the sealer. Good luck.

As previously suggested, try a knife to cut loose the sealant. I found that using a small stiff putty knife to slowly work in behind the bracket works well too.

Platinum Member Platinum Member laster's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1996 Progression 24LD
    Western Massachusetts
    I haven't tried this myself but have heard that if you take some monofilament fishing line you can work it behind the tab and kind of saw your way down through the adhesive. May or may not work but it is guaranteed not to damage your gelcoat. Worth a try. I would try heating with a heat gun first.
    Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way. B*tchin' about it ain't helpin'.