Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   2 NFL Players Missing Off Clearwater (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/204077-2-nfl-players-missing-off-clearwater.html)

LapseofReason 03-03-2009 01:11 PM

It is very sad to think about anybody just floating out in the water. Even more when you know they only have hours with the water temp where it was. We dont know why they were that far out. I would not go that far in a little boat but thats me. As much as I hate rules maybe there should be some as to how far out you can go in certain size boats, you cant drive a moped on a hwy. because it's not big or fast enough, maybe they should do something like that. In a little 21 foot single eng. boat I am going to keep land in sight and a phone in some sort of water proof bag.

As far as what they get paid, Corey Smith made more in the last year and a half than I have made my whole life, and I have owned boats that can go that far out in big seas. So I feel they could have chartered a big boat but they more than likely just wanted to hang with friends and they have every right as Americans. Everybody just needs to be safer on the water, even more this time of year with higher winds and lower temps.

Again this is very sad and only hurts what we all love to do but when things like this happen we have to look at ways to make sure it doesnt happen again, as humans we have to learn from our and others mistakes and make adjustments to how we do things to insure we and loved ones are safe.

mmareno 03-03-2009 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993 (Post 2812704)
Kind of like your DUMB post. :rolleyes: Pretty tasteless....

I am sorry for the people that I offended.... When I first got a boat...My father looked me in the eye and said.. Three people you should never disrespect!!!.

1. Your mother

2 Your wife

3.and the most important Mother nature..

Sometimes people just don't see what she (mothrer nature) can do to you.. I do feel horrible that these men are still missing.. I know it affected a large community of people.. Family, Children, Friends, Team mates.etc...

It is times like this where I think people should be "Certified" to be able to take such a small boats in big waters, Be responsible enough to have the proper safety equipment for this type of situation, and know the limits of a boat..

We have accidents all the time.... That is why they are called accidents. I feel as though many could have been avoided if Ignorance didn't play a roll.

Again... Please except my apology for anyone this offended... It was not my intention at all, I just simply see "Maybe" a waist of human life over something that may have been prevented.

mmareno 03-03-2009 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 2812767)
This is a great post..who are we to judge, we've all been there one time or another, maybe different situation..but none the less....MMareno, is it possible to think before you post. I'm surprised at you're sarcasm... put yourself in the situation, you'd being saying different.

I again apologize for any mis understanding..

No I have not been in that situation because.. When I decided to go out in the water in something I was not in full control of I took a course.. The same when I started driving a car.. I took a course... and now that I bought a cat.. I am taking a course... Again.. It was not my intention to degrade these guys for going out and getting caught in a situation that resulted in this thread.. It is these guys have more avenues then most of us will ever have.... Better steps could have been taken "MAYBE"

Indy 03-03-2009 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by mmareno (Post 2813079)

:ernaehrung004:

I have not been in that situation because.. When I decided to go out in the water in something I was not in full control of I took a course..

If it were only that simple. The best meteorologists get it wrong quite often. There is an unpredictability with mother nature, coursework, common sense, and checking forecasts go a long way, but it still happens when you least expect it right? If you go out and expect it then you're prepared for it and deal with it, but the opposite is when there's trouble.

PhantomChaos 03-03-2009 02:47 PM

Obviously some posts are missing!!!!!!!! :D Let the $hit stay!

Jassman 03-03-2009 03:35 PM

No I have not been in that situation because.. When I decided to go out in the water in something I was not in full control of I took a course.. The same when I started driving a car.. I took a course... and now that I bought a cat.. I am taking a course... Again.. It was not my intention to degrade these guys for going out and getting caught in a situation that resulted in this thread.. It is these guys have more avenues then most of us will ever have.... Better steps could have been taken "MAYBE"

When I was coming back from KW in Nov 07, as soon as we came out of the inlet, it was 2-3's..I knew it was going to be a long way home..On the way up I burned from Pompano inlet to KW 187 gallons...I filled up with 220 for the departure..well guess what..it wasnt enough...I should have put 3 more gallons in..We went through 4-6 footers, which required obviously more throttling and my smart craft was not working properly going in and out..so that when I hit Miami it showed I had 45 gallons..no problem:eek:..I thought I will make it...it went to 18-19 gallons half way to the Pompano..so I was faced with turn around and possibly get back to Miami or stay on plane in an idle situation best as possible to get to the Pompano inlet..I ran out of gas about 1 mile short...water was splashing over the side..Sandy was freaking...thank god one of the A.T. guys CLARK and CHUCK BEECHER in their 37 AT turned around and came back for me..otherwise my new 43 Nortech could have been up against the rocks, or if I dropped anchor might have also had a bad situation like these guys. You just never know. They lassoed a rope in which I tied to my boe cleat and proceeded to pull me in through this sh#t..(6+ sea's). My point is even if you don't ever plan on it, and use good judgement, it might just happen...Clark's nick name is now CLARKSTAR..just like GM's Onstar...Thank You again buddy..:ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004:Jeff

tomtbone1993 03-03-2009 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 2813129)
Obviously some posts are missing!!!!!!!! :D Let the $hit stay!

Here it is......

Originally Posted by mmareno (Post 2812492)
I feel bad for them like I feel bad for Plexico Burris.. See it does prove it... Money can't buy brains...

Guys like that got enough money to hire someone to drive them out to fish... Put the bait on for them... Take the fish off... And have 42 women run around Naked... But instead... they take a 21' boat into the perfect storm...

I honestly feel bad for the kids and families BUT.. I never realized how many DUMB people have a boat!!

LapseofReason 03-03-2009 03:58 PM

Looks like they are calling off the search at sundown.

happy hours 03-03-2009 04:28 PM

They found some debris (cooler and empty life jacket) close to where the boat was found. I know some people are going out tomorrow at sun up to search, what a terrible feeling for the family's to have no closure. My stomach hurts just thinking about it, what a tragic deal. I think I will go home and hug my wife and dog.

bonecrusher 03-03-2009 05:12 PM

I have just read your pathetic apology and it amazes me that even after all the quotes you have read of these heart felt concerns that many of our OSO community have been giving you came up with another couple quotes still talking trash. Shame on you. I hate to say it but some people just think they know everything and (mmareno) you happen to be one of these guys who never does anything wrong or has never made a mistake. An apology from you would have been appreciated and accepted. We all make mistakes and say things we dont always mean but you continued on. Remember a sorry goes a long way. But then your ignorance and lack of respect for HUMAN LIFE continued to show as you were trying to reason why these men (as you say SUPERSTARS) should of and could of had a bigger boat which would have made everything alright. Well judging people in times of tragedy it down right appalling and disgusting. I pray to god you never experience tragedy like these men and their families but if you do maybe your outlook on life may change. God Bless these families who have been struck with a terrible tragedy.