Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Engine Builder Beware (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/204488-engine-builder-beware.html)

KAAMA 03-10-2009 10:45 AM

People invest THOU$AND$ of dollars into this sport and some of these builders couldn't care any less how they hurt people-----they just want to take your hard earned money, but that is the day we live in----cheat your neighbor...cheat a friend, but those who don't Repent for the wrongs they have done in life will pay one day.

What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his own soul in hell???

ActiveFun 03-10-2009 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Nmocean (Post 2816909)
A good screwing from another engine builder JTM machine from Ohio. Had to get into a fresh engine that was done by them and dyno'ed that was leaking oil out of it on the stand. I found loose valve cover bolts, a 1/2 a$$ install of the oil cooler and lines (all were loose) I also found three different brands of head bolts installed on the motor what a magnificent piece of workmanship. I wouln't trust them with a leaf blower motor better yet one for my model airplane.

Wow that is wild. What did they charge? What kind of engine?

Raylar 03-12-2009 02:38 AM

Brain surgery or Proctology !

Keep telling OSO'ers to keep their MARINE HIGH PERFORMANCE engine building with the real reputable marine engine builders and stay away from these machine shops that dabble and dribble in marine engine disasters ! When you need brain surgery you don't go to a proctologist !, they are both doctors , but that's where the similarity ends !

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

macez281 04-23-2009 08:34 PM

Engine Builder Beware "MYSTERY CUSTOMER"

That's BULL****! That motor would have never left my shop in that condition. My policies are to back all of my work. Why didn't you call me if you had issues. My question...If you didn't contact me, Do you still owe me money??? Bring ANY ENGINE YOU CAN BUILD...I'll meet you at the lake, river, ocean...whatever! I don't recall your customer status.

Thank you!

Call me if you have any questions.
JTM Marine

carrboy 04-24-2009 06:25 AM

The best part is the idiots that will start chiming in and start bashing u for making these claims saying "those guys never did me wrong", "they're the best". WTF. That sux. Nothing worse than spending money for nothing. Very, very legit reasons for being PO'd. Go in there with a gun and tell them to make it right.

CLA 04-24-2009 08:34 AM

I have been there myself......:mad: Goodluck getting it 100%.:ernaehrung004:

cigrocket 04-24-2009 09:08 AM

Post some pictures of the motor with the parts. We would like to see them.

89scarabIII 04-25-2009 07:16 AM

I think there is always two sides to the story, Yes there are a alot of fly by night builders out there. Then there are guys that want horse power cheap (like me) cant blame the builder if you opt to reuse something and it fails later is it the engine builders fault? Why do you think mercruiser rebuilts are $20,000 plus? H@ll they change the valve covers on there rebuilds.

I met Jtm at the islmarado poker run and he seemed like a stand up guy. I think we should hear his story. I also think He would have been the first person I called to make it right if no effort is made to remedy the problem then defiantly would be black eye material.
Dont bother trying to sue more headache then its worth been there. Sometimes shady characters need taught a lesson or they'll keep on doing it. Remember dark place no witness.

Indy 04-25-2009 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by 89scarabIII (Post 2852375)
I think there is always two sides to the story, Yes there are a alot of fly by night builders out there. Then there are guys that want horse power cheap (like me) cant blame the builder if you opt to reuse something and it fails later is it the engine builders fault? Why do you think mercruiser rebuilts are $20,000 plus? H@ll they change the valve covers on there rebuilds.

I understand what you're saying, however if the customer request will compromise the integrity of the engine then I would expect the builder to decline the job. I do it once in a while, I'm in construction/remodeling and if the customer wants something that I consider to be a compromise with future negative ramifications then I'll not do the job. It's not worth the headaches for myself and the customer down the road. I'm not saying this happened here, I have no idea, just a general response to your comment.