Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Some residents and businesses trying to ban personal watergraft on Lake George, NY (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/20514-some-residents-businesses-trying-ban-personal-watergraft-lake-george-ny.html)

georges 03-21-2002 10:24 PM

Shane,

Go to: www.ijsba.com, you will find everything you need!
Today PWC's, tomorrow they will come after all powerboats.:mad:

Chris288 03-22-2002 09:02 AM

A few more HELPFUL sites....

PWCTODAY.com and jetski.com

PWCTODAY has a lot of useful info on this problem, and I would bet could be very helpful.. give them a try...

straycat 03-22-2002 09:57 AM

alternate solution?

Since this proposed legislation would also affect me as a summer home owner on Lake George I can only hope it doesnt go through as law. The LG Police already have pretty strict ordinances regarding boating/PWCs. As both a boater and a jet skier, i would not want my rights unilaterally taken away due to the few or even many that screw it up . Answer? Do the same thing that exists for motor vehicle offenders. Based on the type and severity of the infraction, step up the fines and penalties! A loss of driving priveleges and or impound and loss of your toy would make the morons think twice. Also the proceeds could be used to offset the additional costs involved! Dont get me wrong, I am not a big fan of policing the sport, ( I have received numerous noise tickets already!) but there has to be a happy medium! If not we all become potential targets of special interests extinction !:confused:

supercrash 03-22-2002 09:59 AM

Shane.You forgot to thank me ...for staying off your thread..;) ....just joking...anyway , I have to agree with the general opinion on this thread..If they wipe out the PWC then the boats might be next...It is a big step to ban boats but they might just impose a bunch of restrictions that would kill the pastime anyway...We must fight for PWC rights but there should be some restrictions on use near shore and other vessels..I think the biggest problem is that any dingbat can get on one and ride it...I see these people all the time and they are a hazard to everyone

Sunseekerny.could you confirm for me that Ross Perot is the life of the party kinda guy that he seems to be..:)

SunseekerNY 03-22-2002 10:09 AM

I found him to be very businesslike. I worked in his Bayshore, NY office and only met him once at a fund raiser in Manhattan.

buck183 03-22-2002 06:59 PM

I agree 100%, Rob @ PWCToday is the man!

Buck

BryanTuvell 03-22-2002 07:28 PM

SUNSEEKER, I stand by my last post, this board has influence on nothing, not squat, if you think it does, please review the thousands of posts and tell me what this BB has changed in any area or community.
Money talks for politicians. We all know that. Enough rich waterfront home owners can change anything! I have seen it and lived it.... soft money, hard money etc... like it or not it is reality. We can buy and sell them all, one way or another.
Most in life have problems with reality, I do too at times when I don't get my way. A rare occassion.
I do wish you luck on your goals, I sincerely mean that. I was just giving my thoughts on a public board, not attacking you or your cause.

CHRIS232, (nice AVATAR, could we get a blow up? for the board?) Yep, I do have that attitude, I don't like them, I am a navy officer who has spent over 20 years (still in, oh, and we are at war ya know!) defending "others wants" regardless of my opinion. So, again, my opinion is I do not care for PWC's on inland waterways and park areas, do we need legislation, yes? But we also need it on performance boats also. We all know what REALLY goes on, how about the laws about DUI in a boat? They also need to be tougher, and PFD usage. Again, opinions are like ass holes, we all have one, this is mine.... and I will save you the trouble, I am an ass hole most of the time.
Good luck to you also.
Bryan

Skypirate 03-24-2002 06:09 PM

Ban on PWC

Shane, I have lived at Lake George and Lake Tahoe. They did ban PWC on Lake Tahoe. The ban was EPA based, but in reality it was reckless behavior that drove the ban. The local residents where tired of the noise and reckless behavior. On another note Lake Tahoe is well known for it's love of old classic mahogany inboards (read loud!) and offshore boats (loud again). But no complaints about them what so ever. I agree with you. I hate to see more restrictions or any bans. But if they attack this from a enviromental issue you are screwed. I think Lake Tahoe would set precedence. Good luck.

IRONMAN 03-24-2002 11:20 PM

I am sure that the ultimate goal of whomever wants to ban PWC use on lake george is that the only form of acceptable boating will be done in a generic 18' bowrider or on a sailboat. The next ban will be aimed on removing all performance and wooden boats from the lake that have through hulls on them. Maybe we should try to restore more freedoms and raise or eliminate the 45mph speed limit at least for weekdays and off season. We should also get disclosure from LGA ,FUND and others as to where they stand on theese issues. I think that many people may be unknowingly supporting groups that want to restrict their own freedoms or business intrests. I would like to contribute to an orginization that protects the water quality as well as recreation but I don't know who to trust anymore. The Ironman.

Coddigtion 03-25-2002 01:04 AM

Everyone is right here, one thing though that we have to all look at is that PWC's can be a great entry drug for this obsession that we have.

The first water craft that I owned was a PWC; I grew up on a large lake in Oklahoma, and have driven boats for a long time. But after attending college I couldn't afford a large boat, but a PWC, had it and was hooked again. I now have a renewed interest in this hobby, without the PWC I would still be racing cars. This keeps everyone happy we need to sell the boats that we currently have to new blood in a few years.

Cheers