Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Raw water pump on 496, how long? >

Raw water pump on 496, how long?

Notices

Raw water pump on 496, how long?

Old 05-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ended up doing it. took me about an hour, pretty sure now that i know how to do it i will do it every season, the old one was all dry rot and looked pretty bad.

pretty sure i could do it in under an hour now, atleast on my boat as the seat back lifts up and makes more room and easy to work on
Old 05-29-2009, 09:11 AM

I changed both of mine last year and lost one memorial day weekend. This is the first year i didn't change them "Shame on Me! so I will be replacing both.. It is not worth the aggravation when you overheat and have to idle for hours to get in because of a rubber impeller.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shanghied Again
I changed both of mine last year and lost one memorial day weekend. This is the first year i didn't change them "Shame on Me! so I will be replacing both.. It is not worth the aggravation when you overheat and have to idle for hours to get in because of a rubber impeller.
thats what im talking about. for the 60 bucks and 2 hours, its worth it
Old 05-29-2009, 10:33 AM
NoQuarter

My 496 had 200 hours on the original impeller when I got the boat and it blew. The rubber of the impeller was super hard and not flexible. The pump also was significantly scored. The scoring could cause a new impeller to cavitate and reduce pressure. New pump is expensive. I bought the R&R rebuild kit ($150). Really nice kit and easy to do. The wear plates are stainless and can be flipped over and re-used if they get scored.
Attached Thumbnails Raw water pump on 496, how long?-dscn0367resized.jpg   Raw water pump on 496, how long?-damaged-cup.jpg   Raw water pump on 496, how long?-damaged-cover.jpg  

Raw water pump on 496, how long?-kit1.jpg   Raw water pump on 496, how long?-completed-pump.jpg  

Old 05-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Registered

that sucks. i h=guess another good reason to swap them each year