525 EFI Upgrade

Notices

525 EFI Upgrade

Old 01-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Hey Guys:

The moderators are removing my answers because they are construed as advertising, which we are not supposed to do here on OSO unless we buy add space. The new Raylar HP525efi to HP675efi package is as described on the attached description sheet.
We will be doing something special to a few first time customers so PM me or call (866) 496-8181 if you are interested in the package.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Thats frustrating. I guess I kind of understand but whats the difference of you telling us what your able to do or someone who had done the upgrade? Except, I prefer the info straight from the horses mouth. Thanks Ray. Sounds great
Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Ray. I like the whole approach of your package. I am definitely interested, but just in the planning stages right now. I only have 130hrs on mine..but climbing fast.

Another thought--will you plan to offer an interim package that would be just upper engine mods, but compatible with the total rebuild later? I was just thinking that it would be nice to be able to do something at the valve spring replacement point--maybe head mods and a reprogram...Sort of a stage 1, stage 2 thing.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink How do you get a Lot for a Little??

Suntimes and interested HP525efi owners:

I know most everybody has somewhat restricted engine and boat upgrade budgets in this economy, but when it comes to the HP525efi package this Mercury Racing offering has a certain build specification and output that is operating pretty efficiently at it's 550HP from 500 cubic inches. Obviously we have studied the engine package very carefully and we determined that the HP525efi engine does a really good job of producing its very reliable power from a nice array of parts and pieces. Even the ECM programming is somewhat optimized to provide good power and reliability from its basic package. Bottom line; there really is no moderate or big power hidden unlocked in this Mercury package!
What I am trying to say here is that with today's general operating conditions the only mods which would make a reasonable addition to power versus cost of the modification would be a serious increase in compression which is not possible with today's average pump gas and a bigger camshaft which would create serious reversion issues.
The only real reliable, reasonable life (400-600HR) way to get an HP525efi up seriously over 100HP which is what is going to be really justifiable based on cost for the 100HP is to get the cubic inch size of this engine up with the also required breathing improvements that need to be made to the heads and intake manifold to see this kind of horsepower increase and still end up with a reliable, long lived, put the hammer down for long period type of EFI engine that the majority of performance boaters will need and want.
This is why we engineered this package at 540 cubic inches (There is no replacement for Displacement) and made improvements to the overall engine parts to achieve an engine that will have the same great operating range and life of the original HP525! We kept the rpm limit the same as a stock HP525efi!
As for inexpensive quick easy upgrades to an HP525efi , save your money, be careful of people in the industry who say you can get there easily and cheaply and invest in a good solid engineered reconfigured, warrantied engine like the Raylar HP675efi engine!
Old Chinese Proverb say:
"There Ain't no Cheap or Free Great Lunch"!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 01-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

What a crock. I find Raylar's posts informative and interesting and they should remain up. I don't see them as any type of direct advertising. In fact, it is almost shameful for the website to delete these posts just because Raylar is not a paid advertiser. I know there are lines to be drawn, but I don't feel that they were crossed in this case. As far as offering that special deal, I would hope that someone from this site would benefit from it. And, they in turn could give us a review of this engine package, first hand.

Last edited by pm203; 01-21-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody running Raylars upgrade ? Comments ?
Old 06-22-2018, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m curious if anyone now, after all these years, is running rayler 675 engine

i need a rebuild and was looking for opinions
Old 06-22-2018, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

No experience with the Raylar but a big bore 525 makes for a great package. We did a pair of them, using a Dart block bored 4.600 (532 CI) made 610 HP. Besides the bore and ECM reflash to compensate for the larger bore, no other modifications were done. Stock cam, stock heads, stock intake/flame arrestor, stock fuel system, etc. We were very pleased with the results. Really woke the engines up while maintaining stock like manors and reliabity. Much more throttle responce and with the 4.600 bore unshrouding the valves definitely helped the engine maintain power in the higher RPMs.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
From one Laszlo to another. jo szerencset.
Jó napot kívánok, Gabor here!... We go to Budapest/Szentes/Nagykoros for two weeks in a few days. Hotel on the Danube across from the Parliament...

Sorry for the hijack! BTW I love my stock 525s, they never break. See Raylar post from 2011 above. I have 460 hours on mine and no problems ever.

Last edited by On Time; 06-22-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm running 500's and looking at doing some upgrades too thanks for all the info guys