Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best way to sell a boat in this market? >

Best way to sell a boat in this market?

Notices

Best way to sell a boat in this market?

Old 05-28-2009, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
I decided to do another boat. I want to move the Mercedes boat. --NOT Before the Bimini race!! I will be needing it for that weekend!!

In this market do you think the best way to sell a boat is just market it "open to offers"? I look at the classifieds like we all do and it seems most of the same boats are always there. I wonder if it's over price or is it another reason. The part that confuses me is new boats are selling. There are New MTI's, Nortechs, Skaters showing up all the time. You know the price of new is proabably 40% to 50% more that a year old boat with low hours. What makes those buyers buy a new boat over some of the other beautiful, dialed in, like new boats out there? For once, I would like to sell my boat without the 6 month stomach ache that goes along with.
When I sold Lubejobs, I was insulted and pissed off at least a dozen times.
I would really like to avoid that. Any suggestions?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o29247-en.html
Well people buy new for the same reason you built your new boat!! They want it new and original to their creation, and lets be honest the people who can buy a new/used MTI are not worried about the cost. I direct the question back at you, are you going to buy a used boat next??

Will
Old 05-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
Well people buy new for the same reason you built your new boat!! They want it new and original to their creation, and lets be honest the people who can buy a new/used MTI are not worried about the cost. I direct the question back at you, are you going to buy a used boat next??

Will
I bought the boat 2nd hand. It was Stuart Haims boat. I bought it becauuse the $$ was right!
Old 05-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe we can work out a trade for my classic 1971 Donzi sweet 16?

http://www.salvagedirect.com/asp/vie...?itemid=689534
Old 05-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Over 40'
Under 60'

It will be a cat.
will probably run somewhere over 100 MPH!
Not enough information...looks like we're going to have to waterboard you...
Old 05-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

If you are selling a used boat in order to upgrade to another used boat, it's a wash in this mkt because the value of both boats is horrible. If you are selling a used boat to upgrade to a new boat, prepare to bend over.

In this market it's all about price. For the US market I would come up with an absolute bottom figure that you are gonna take for the boat and price it pretty darn close to that figure. IMO that lets buyers know that you are serious about selling it. Put a high price on it or no price at all and it's just gonna sit IMO.

Or do what someone else mentioned - don't advertise it in the US just yet and give someone like LCM the rights to sell it overseas to the Arabs - (while you retain the rights to sell it here in the US).

With the price of oil going up again they might jump all over a Mercedes themed boat - and at a much higher price than you are likely to get here in the US.

That 06 36 Nortec with 800's and #6s selling for less than $200K a few months back is a pretty good indicator of what it takes for "most" sellers to move their boats in this mkt.

Either way good luck.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
If you are selling a used boat in order to upgrade to another used boat, it's a wash in this mkt because the value of both boats is horrible. If you are selling a used boat to upgrade to a new boat, prepare to bend over.

In this market it's all about price. For the US market I would come up with an absolute bottom figure that you are gonna take for the boat and price it pretty darn close to that figure. IMO that lets buyers know that you are serious about selling it. Put a high price on it or no price at all and it's just gonna sit IMO.

Or do what someone else mentioned - don't advertise it in the US just yet and give someone like LCM the rights to sell it overseas to the Arabs - (while you retain the rights to sell it here in the US).

With the price of oil going up again they might jump all over a Mercedes themed boat - and at a much higher price than you are likely to get here in the US.

That 06 36 Nortec with 800's and #6s selling for less than $200K a few months back is a pretty good indicator of what it takes for "most" sellers to move their boats in this mkt.

Either way good luck.
Makes sense! Thank you