Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who's running a #6 in a single engine application (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/215991-whos-running-6-single-engine-application.html)

DMOORE 09-02-2009 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by cougarman (Post 2945237)

Here is Check300's set up, runs triple digits too

As for the box it was Designed by Tom Earhart, and he had BAM build it, BAM, had Stellings Marine build it now we have have Stellings Marine Extension boxes.

Now you know the rest of the story :drink:

So if your order your Stellings Stand off Box you will have to make a few adjustments to the flange for clearance.

The early boxes like this one pictured were all hand fabricated
Now they are all cast.

Jon

Jon thanks for posting the info, and the pics. It's a great solution for a lot of smaller boats out there.

Darrell.

stripp 09-02-2009 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow (Post 2945241)
I will disagree on the weight not being a problem. I have owned a few cats 24 and 25' They were very sensitive to extra weight hanging off the back. I was running twin 2.5's that only weigh 350 lbs each. Adding setback changes the center of gravity a lot. Adding just a few inches of setback on a outboard boats makes big chenges. You are adding about 12 inches with a box. You will also have a 100 lb transmission and a 350 lb drive to the back of the boat. I have noticed the difference in how a 40' cat will ride with the engines mounted on the transom or moved forward. Big differences. The tail heavy boat will pop the nose up every time you hit a wave. Can be very scary.
Is there no way to move the engine forward?

I fully agree with you that weight can make a significant difference in how the boat handles and "flies". Yes we have room to move the engine forward which we will already be doing by adding the tranny. We could use a 9" shaft but that actually may be too far forward when you add the trans length to it. We have the room to do it but I think that it is too much. We should be adding around 250 lb over what he has now but moving the engine forward will offset most of that. If we did the trans in the standoff box, I think that we would notice a huge diff in CG but otherwise the boat should not react adversely to the additional weight. The hull has been tested with more tail weight then we are talking here and still flies very flat in the rough stuff. Plus we have the ability to move the fuel tanks forward if needed.

Steve

Catmando 09-02-2009 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by stripp (Post 2945399)
I fully agree with you that weight can make a significant difference in how the boat handles and "flies". Yes we have room to move the engine forward which we will already be doing by adding the tranny. We could use a 9" shaft but that actually may be too far forward when you add the trans length to it. We have the room to do it but I think that it is too much. We should be adding around 250 lb over what he has now but moving the engine forward will offset most of that. If we did the trans in the standoff box, I think that we would notice a huge diff in CG but otherwise the boat should not react adversely to the additional weight. The hull has been tested with more tail weight then we are talking here and still flies very flat in the rough stuff. Plus we have the ability to move the fuel tanks forward if needed.

Steve

Sounds like no matter which way you go, lots of testing will be needed. I believe the Weismann and Arneson shaft drives will cause the least amount of CG issues and thus the least amount of testing which as we all know burns precious fuel not to mention time.

shifter 09-02-2009 10:23 PM

Have you ever checked the cg of the boat the way it is?

The weight of a #6 with gimbal 501.

Stand off box 65 to 80 lbs

Velvet drive 140 lbs

We are the only ones that have checked the 6 that I know of and there is a lot of hear say out there to what the efficiencies are of a bravo. I did not bother with the bravo. It needs a shower to cool it, that should tell you something. Anything over 500hp and you should forget that drive anyway.

Some day I will check a "targeted Oil #6 drive" that merc makes vs our dry-sump #6 just to set the record straight.

Do not be shocked when the boat does not hit 132 again.

pat W

jayhawk261 09-02-2009 10:50 PM

Not to threadjack, but I have to ask. What does a stand off box do for you?

shifter 09-02-2009 11:45 PM

adds to leverage on the transom and shifts cg aft and extends the overall length to add stability at speed.

pat W

cougarman 09-03-2009 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by DMOORE (Post 2945279)
Jon thanks for posting the info, and the pics. It's a great solution for a lot of smaller boats out there.

Darrell.

No Problem Check300 is a great guy and went through great efforts with Tom Earhart to get this boat dialed in.
Lot's of nay sayer's for a few years when they designed and started the project. Bill & Tom were told repeatedly it would never work.

End product is a very stable, very well mannered sleeper.
Around here the boat is very well known, by some frusted boaters :drink:

Jon

Coolerman 09-03-2009 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by cougarman (Post 2945632)
No Problem Check300 is a great guy and went through great efforts with Tom Earhart to get this boat dialed in.
Lot's of nay sayer's for a few years when they designed and started the project. Bill & Tom were told repeatedly it would never work.

End product is a very stable, very well mannered sleeper.
Around here the boat is very well known, by some frusted boaters :drink:

Jon

Didn't check300 end up not surfacing the prop like Masher did on his activator?

cougarman 09-03-2009 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by saxman (Post 2945636)
Didn't check300 end up not surfacing the prop like Masher did on his activator?

Correct, she is below hull,.......can't remember how deep though.

Maybe Bill / Check300 will chime in again ?

I need to send you and your dad an email with the latest pictures / upgrades I think you will be pleased ;-)

Lots of home work over the winter:drink:

Jon

ZXXX Donzi 09-03-2009 01:03 PM

Does anyone know the weight of an Arneson with a box and tranny to a #6 with that same setup? I think that weight and balance will be a huge factor in this project. Filling in the notch and moving the engine for the Arneson may very well be easier than dealing with the weight and balance issues of a #6.

Either way the project will be costly and difficult. I would like to see it pulled off successfully though.