Notices

Engine/Propshaft Dyno

Old 11-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmyjr
buy it it works awesome.i have had two of them and they have made me alot of money.remember not all boaters are h.p. boaters
Good to hear! What did you charge for the service? Which equipment did you have.....please elaborate. Interested in any info you have to offer. What was your selling point???
How did you promote the service?? Were your customer's satisfied with the results??
Old 11-15-2009, 12:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought my last land and sea dyno in 2002.i would charge 1 hour shop time to test [email protected] per hour.the dyno would allow me to prove the engine was not running the way god and mercury said it would.ie:4.3 mercury i/0 only making 97 hp.customer said boat was sluugish.and hard to get on plane.1 hour dyno time and 5 plus hours of diagnosis and repair.it cut alot of bull**** in repair and diagnosis time.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:36 AM
Registered

Thanks for your input! I think you're right the before and after test could mean a lot to your customer. I will use it in my sales pitch if I get the dyno.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Registered

just so you know the dyno increased my hourly rate sales by almost 97 hours per year.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Registered

thats 97 x 79.5 per hour just for hooking it up.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Registered

ttt
Old 11-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the land & sea dual rotor prop shaft dyno. Been using it for several years. I believe it will only do up to 800 at the prop due to the low rpm. The most I've seen at the prop is around 725. That was a Teaque 800 and Bravo drive. I've tuned and reprogrammed ECM's on many engines using this dyno. I also have an engine stand so I can dyno at the flywheel also. We charge $400 for prop shaft session. It almost always takes at least 4 hrs to do a session, plus any programming/tuning you might end up doing. Give me a call if you would like to talk live about it.

Bob

830 6935591
Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Registered

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to take you up on your invitation to talk later this week. Whose software are you using to reprogram the ECM's? Do you the dyno in your day to day business for stock tune-ups?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the dyno a lot. I've used it just a couple of times on trouble shooting stock engines. I don't think it would cost justify one just for that. We build engines and do performance upgrades and tuning. We dyno every engine we build before it goes in the boat. I mainly use the prop shaft dyno for tuning performance engines or diagnosing low performance. It's really handy to be able to say an engine is performing to spec when someone is complaining that the boat doesn't run properly. I use Mefical to program the ECMs.