Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   42' Epoxy OL, your opinion? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/222818-42-epoxy-ol-your-opinion.html)

Panther 01-15-2010 01:10 PM

42' Epoxy OL, your opinion?

I've been on the 42' Legacy (glass) with a pair of 1050's and thought it was a great ride....

How does it compare to the 42' Legacy, epoxy with a pair of 1075's. I've heard some good/bad... An honest assessment (not sure if that's possible:lolhit:) would be greatly appreiacted.

Also, how does it compare to some of the other stand-up pleasure models like the 46' etc.?

Trying to get some info for a friend, your thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated!:coolcowboy:

glassdave 01-15-2010 01:52 PM

we'll have an answer for ya in four or five years :D

Panther 01-15-2010 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 3024727)
we'll have an answer for ya in four or five years :D

Classic!:drink:

Uncle Dave 01-15-2010 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 3024733)
Classic!:drink:

From what the builders that use it tell me - epoxy tends to post cure and although light and strong and ideal for ultimate performance- tends to have cosmetic implications down the road.

As one guy put it, when you look at the side of your boat in ten years all you should see is ten more years on yourself in the reflection.

U.D.

Panther 01-15-2010 02:46 PM

TTT....

Anyone own a 42' vinylester and epoxy or a 42' and 46?

animalhouse 01-15-2010 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3024751)
From what the builders that use it tell me - epoxy tends to post cure and although light and strong and ideal for ultimate performance- tends to have cosmetic implications down the road.

As one guy put it, when you look at the side of your boat in ten years all you should see is ten more years on yourself in the reflection.

U.D.

OL's are post cured in an oven, and then longboarded to get any imperfections out.

Panther 01-16-2010 10:58 AM

TTT, any other opinions?

Jassman 01-16-2010 11:40 AM

I like glass, better on my a$$

Uncle Dave 01-16-2010 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by animalhouse (Post 3024817)
OL's are post cured in an oven, and then longboarded to get any imperfections out.

Yes I know.

Outerlimits has a fantastic resin infusion process, and then bakes them in an oven. They are first rate.

The epoxy is the issue not anything outerlimits does or doenst do.

my understanding is that the oven itself is not an autoclave, but more an oven so its cure temp is limited.

In extrem heat say like in arizona dark colors in the summer time can actually cause "post Curing" well on later in the boats life. The postcuring when the dark hot spots hit 230+ causes cosmetic issues after an extended period of time.

This doenst effect the structure of the boat you still get a super light strong hull, but there are cosmetic implications later.

The boats as they leave OL are perfect its just the material has plusses and minuses.

the epoxy boat will be lighter and stronger than the glass, but 10, 20, 30 years from now is liekly to look rougher.

This is my understanding from many many builders Ive spoken to.

UD