Notices

Kilo Record Mania

Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Kilo Record Mania

Does anyone here miss the kilo record rivalry that used to take place between Fountain and Scarab? I know top speed kilo runs are only a fraction of what an offshore boat is really all about, but so many people credit this with a boats capability it was something that everyone chased.

With Scarab out of the offshore scene (which is a shame in and of itself) the last real rivalry was between Fountain and Outerlimits...that seems to have died down too...the economy has more than likely taken its toll on the needless spending that went along with running boats at unreal speeds. I guess I just kind of miss that back and forth battle for offshore kilo record dominance!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by MrOffshore
Does anyone here miss the kilo record rivalry that used to take place between Fountain and Scarab? I know top speed kilo runs are only a fraction of what an offshore boat is really all about, but so many people credit this with a boats capability it was something that everyone chased.

With Scarab out of the offshore scene (which is a shame in and of itself) the last real rivalry was between Fountain and Outerlimits...that seems to have died down too...the economy has more than likely taken its toll on the needless spending that went along with running boats at unreal speeds. I guess I just kind of miss that back and forth battle for offshore kilo record dominance!

The day the battle was over:

see link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2NHB...eature=related

It would be interesting to see what either builder could do today, alot has changed since then. OL is building some fast, fast boats and may have something for Fountain. Skater may have something for both Fountain and OL. It would be interesting.

Last edited by Smarty; 02-10-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back MrOffshore!!

Yes a three way between the Fountain and OL 42s and the Skater 39, all with the same weight, Sterling 1550s and Hering props. Make it a Kilo AND a mile run.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smarty
The day the battle was over:

see link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2NHB...eature=related

It would be interesting to see what either builder could do today, alot has changed since then. OL is building some fast, fast boats and may have something for Fountain. Skater may have something for both Fountain and OL. It would be interesting.
I didn't catch a year on that video.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Poor little Mikey packed up in the middle of the night and left. Fountains two way average was 10 better than little Mikey's claimed all time best, and 16 off the one way 177+ the Fountain ran. This is old news, but note little Mikey has never opened his mouth since.

Don't take this wrong, OL builds a great boat, it just can't run with a Fountain.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Poor little Mikey packed up in the middle of the night and left. Fountains two way average was 10 better than little Mikey's claimed all time best, and 16 off the one way 177+ the Fountain ran. This is old news, but note little Mikey has never opened his mouth since.

Don't take this wrong, OL builds a great boat, it just can't run with a Fountain.
OK think what u want. Prove to me where the same size Fountain with the same power goes faster than an OL??
Old 02-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Registered

But yes, Reggie has the record and ran that boat very fast in a short 42ft boat!
Old 02-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
OK think what u want. Prove to me where the same size Fountain with the same power goes faster than an OL??

Not my thinking, the deal was under the control of three sanctioning bodies. They decided the rules, the numbers and the results, pretty simple in my mind.

But as they say, "To finish first you must first finish". Hard to do when you leave in the middle if the night. They were both talking smack the day before in the parking lot, difference between the two is that Reggie was on the dock the next morning.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Not my thinking, the deal was under the control of three sanctioning bodies. They decided the rules, the numbers and the results, pretty simple in my mind.

But as they say, "To finish first you must first finish". Hard to do when you leave in the middle if the night. They were both talking smack the day before in the parking lot, difference between the two is that Reggie was on the dock the next morning.
The truth is mechanical problems held them back. I wish it didnt happen but chit happens. Reggie's stuff held together and he was able to put together a great run. I have a feeling the Reginold wont be up there forever! I have to hand it to him though cause he is now.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You know, I think it was a bit odd that Fiore left under cover of darkness...sticking around and explaining your boat just isn't running right and that it wasn't worth going after the kilo would have been the better move...it might have removed the speculation that has come to be known as fact...remember, perception is reality...the Outerlimits simply didn't have the capability to run in the high 160's or 170's. Stick around and congratulate the winner...that's the right thing to do.

You can hate on Fountain all you want, but I think most people who really appreciate offshore powerboating would agree, Reggie Fountain has done more for offshore powerboating than any other icon since the death of Don Aronow. He lived it and breathed it...he put his name on it and most people have trouble beating his boats.

I think Outerlimits has seriously raised the bar when it comes to quality, fit and finish on a custom boat...they quite frankly are second to none. Their performance is nothing to shake a stick at...they're solid performers all the way around. Thank God Mike Fiore has remained in this business to become a benchmark that others are often measured by...but I wish the Fountain haters could see the value that Reggie and his company have brought to the sport as well.

I think the love/hate over some manufacturers isn't too distant from what we see in NASCAR...Ford, Chevy...they both have loyal fans and I guess it's the rivalry that keeps things interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.