Notices

Freeze plugs popped

Old 03-31-2010, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what is the next step, put new brass plugs in and fire it up and see if there is water spraying all over??

No point upgrading power in that hull. The hull isn't speed efficient, it does everything real good, not great, putting in bigger power will not yield a whole lot of top end. I can buy a gen VI long block for $500 and just swap my magnum parts.

But I need this like a hole in the head right now. Damn I just purchased a new Hydromotive Quad IV too.

Last edited by bert4332; 03-31-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:52 PM
Registered

Angry

nt
Old 04-01-2010, 06:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
How do you think they make the blocks . With out the freeze plug holes they would have to make the block solid .
exactly, they really arent freeze plus, this name got added to them. they are casting plugs, in order to shake the sand out from the casting process.

Unfortunatly I have to agree with the others, have the block checked, i lost a 383 stroker motor the same way it was brand new in my truck w/ antifreeze but i couldn't get it running right and enough to circulate it, and then the cold set in
Old 04-01-2010, 06:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you remove the block drains you have to put a piece of wire in the hole and move it around. This clears it out so all of the water drains. If you do this you will get all of the water out, leaving nothing to freeze. Then all the anti freeze is used for is the anti rust protection. I've taken many drain plugs out and no water came out, you must clear the drain hole or you're leaving water in the block.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=bert4332;3079210]So what is the next step, put new brass plugs in and fire it up and see if there is water spraying all over??

If its cracked internal you will not see it spraying. If you don't get it pressure tested then start it up and pray your oil does not turn to a milkshake color.
Should be a four bolt main block in case you need to look for one.
Good Luck
Old 04-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you just want to hope for the best and fire it up they make rubber freeze plugs at NAPA and similiar that you could get and just put in to try. I am not sure how tight your bilge is but there is no way I could get freeze plugs into any of my boats with out pulling the motor unless I used the rubber napa ones.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by bert4332
I drained the block just like every other time, don't use anti-freeze, but I guess I need to start.
Kinda weird if you drained the blockl that you popped the plugs
Sounds like you must not have drained block all of the way
Old 04-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is unfortunate that freeze plugs have come to be thought of as a measure of protection against block damage. I guess aside from the real reason they are there, they let you know you are screwed before you run the boat and tear up everything else inside the motor.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep your ****ed... sorry
Old 04-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Registered

I cant get enough torque to punch them in, not enough space, stringer is getting in the way. My drive is has been off the boat for a while. So I'm about to pull it, the slalom shop in Lewisville is letting me use there puller for a case of beer, once again. So I'm going to pull it, inspect, pop in the new plugs and put it right back in. The mechanic said he has seen 4 blocks this year with popped plugs and they were all ok. So I'm hoping for the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.