Like Tree0Likes

Freeze plugs popped

Reply
Old 03-31-2010, 09:31 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
My Boats: PQ 260/Laveycreft 29MCOB/ Now Boatless :-(
Posts: 1,087
Default Freeze plugs popped

Well I went to summerize my engine and I found four freeze plugs in the bilge.

Couple of questions, does that necessarily mean that I had a freezing problem? I drained the block just like every other time, don't use anti-freeze, but I guess I need to start. We did have some unusual cold weather in TX this winter.

Can I use the same plugs or need new ones?

How do I install them?

thanx
bert4332 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:44 PM
  #2
Registered
VIP Member
 
HotPursuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Slidell,Louisiana
My Boats: 40 Skater
Posts: 1,783
Default

You may want to pull the engine. If the ones on the side pushed out its a good chance the ones in the rear of the block also came out.
To install new ones the holes should be cleaned,,a socket that fits tight as possible will work.I have a aluminum plug that fits inside and drives the shoulder. Use a good sealer. DONT REUSE and make sure there brass or SS>
I would also pressure test the complete package sounds like you still had some water in the block.I have never seen freeze plugs push out without other problems.You might get lucky but a little time will save plenty $$$ and pain done the road!!! Good luck .
I use a electric heater in the really cold periods,some use light bulbs but to much trust in a bulb going out for me.
HotPursuit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 PM
  #3
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
My Boats: PQ 260/Laveycreft 29MCOB/ Now Boatless :-(
Posts: 1,087
Default

unfortunately I store my boat in a boat yard with no electrical access.
bert4332 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 PM
  #4
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member
 
obnoxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: New Lenox , Il
My Boats: 2000 36 OUTLAW SOLD SHOPPING
Posts: 3,913
Default

I have had dozens of engines come through the shop with popped freeze plugs.

ONE had only popped the freeze plug and not cracked the block as well

wish you the best,,,, but be prepared
__________________
IF YOUR UNDER CONTROL,,,,,YOUR NOT GOING FAST ENOUGH !!!!
obnoxus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:10 PM
  #5
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
My Boats: 1971 Jon-Boat w/oars
Posts: 1,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert4332 View Post
Well I went to summerize my engine and I found four freeze plugs in the bilge.

Couple of questions, does that necessarily mean that I had a freezing problem? I drained the block just like every other time, don't use anti-freeze, but I guess I need to start. We did have some unusual cold weather in TX this winter.

Can I use the same plugs or need new ones?

How do I install them?


thanx
We did have some seriously cold weather in January...much worse than normal. I am helping a friend with the same issue. Not to piss on your parade, but he lost both exhaust manifolds, both heads and a big crack just above the lifters on the port side. I saw the exhaust manifolds cracked and checked the oil. There was water in there and I told him to get ready to sit down and cry. The cold snap of 9* here killed the whole motor. He has a useful oil pan, intake and carb...thats all that is left. Good luck.
pslonaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:24 PM
  #6
Registered
VIP Member
 
HotPursuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Slidell,Louisiana
My Boats: 40 Skater
Posts: 1,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSlonaker View Post
We did have some seriously cold weather in January...much worse than normal. I am helping a friend with the same issue. Not to piss on your parade, but he lost both exhaust manifolds, both heads and a big crack just above the lifters on the port side. I saw the exhaust manifolds cracked and checked the oil. There was water in there and I told him to get ready to sit down and cry. The cold snap of 9* here killed the whole motor. He has a useful oil pan, intake and carb...thats all that is left. Good luck.
Thats the normal,It takes a lot of force to drive out a frezze plug!! Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
HotPursuit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:25 PM
  #7
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lake Dallas, TX
My Boats: PQ 260/Laveycreft 29MCOB/ Now Boatless :-(
Posts: 1,087
Default

Well at least I wont be the only one, no one I know of uses anti-freeze here to winterize, just draining.

The rear plugs are in tack, if that is a hopeful sign. So how do you if you have ALL the water out of the block?
bert4332 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:56 PM
  #8
Registered
 
PhantomChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bell Canyon, CA
My Boats: Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45
Posts: 12,756
Default

Why do they even put freeze plugs in if they don't save anything? Sorry.....but this sounds bad. Time to re-power!
PhantomChaos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:10 PM
  #9
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
whoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vermilion, OH
My Boats: Nortech
Posts: 1,029
Default

I hate to say it but it might not be to good for that block.
I would guess if your freeze plugs popped your oil cooler and seawater pump did to.
A long time ago I went down that ugly road.
whoya is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:14 PM
  #10
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ankeny,ia.
Posts: 3,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos View Post
Why do they even put freeze plugs in if they don't save anything? Sorry.....but this sounds bad. Time to re-power!
It's not their intended purpose...they're core plugs
( used in the block casting process)

I've never ran across one that had one pop out
that didn't have a cracked block.
JaayTeee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.