The TALL TALES and ADVENTURES of Chris Sunkin >

The TALL TALES and ADVENTURES of Chris Sunkin

Notices

The TALL TALES and ADVENTURES of Chris Sunkin

Old 01-28-2024, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 372 Likes on 250 Posts

I have been on here for now 20 years, and i remember sunkin posting... but dont remember what the "drama" was... so in one or 2 lines what was it all about?
a guy claiming owning an apache and running a 1000 hours a year, but in reality he did not have any boat at all?
The following 2 users liked this post by jeff32:
ICDEDPPL (01-28-2024), sutphen 30 (01-28-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
I have been on here for now 20 years, and i remember sunkin posting... but dont remember what the "drama" was... so in one or 2 lines what was it all about?
a guy claiming owning an apache and running a 1000 hours a year, but in reality he did not have any boat at all?
From memory:

1. Multiple Apaches owned
2. Ejected at high speed
3. Lawn "Normandy style I-Beams" to keep kids from tearing up his lawn
4. then there was the "pool story".........how his daughter had high school friends over and they were all in the pool but google earth pics showed "no pool" at the "Sunkin Estate"

My guess on the Assault and Battery charges was someone asked for his autograph.........like a TMZ ambush and he had to defend himself from the paparazzi!
The following users liked this post:
cheech (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 09:19 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

....and USAF Pararescue otherwise a PJ
Old 01-29-2024, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Chris Sunkin was one of a number of people that established a fan club here through deception. He came on with a strong know it all type A personality, posted frequently as an expert on most subjects but mostly B.S.in actuality. Another was Fred Cecil but he did it differently. He came on as a friendly good old boy who evolved into a marine parts dealer with unbelievable prices and a crook. Eventually both of their houses of cards collapsed.

Last edited by Interceptor; 01-29-2024 at 01:09 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Interceptor:
cigrocket (01-30-2024), jeff32 (01-29-2024), larslindroth (01-29-2024), Padraig (01-29-2024), rak rua (01-29-2024), Twin O/B Sonic (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 12:10 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Just went to Serious Offshore out of curiosity and there's like 1 person who posts there...what's the point?

Last edited by Indy; 01-29-2024 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Generally speaking, vastly exaggerated his boating background, experience, wealth, and claims of being an ex-special forces badass, all of which was parlayed into friendships with some high-rollers based on his false persona, which he then parlayed into being one of the principals in starting a competing site to Offshoreonly, which if turn led to him being entrusted with charity donations by said high-rollers at events that somehow never found their way to the charities, which in turn resulted in him being exposed.

I believe Catastrophe did most of the gumshoe work in exposing him. When Catastrophe laid out the facts half of the board saw the scammer for what he was, and the other half refused to believe that his whole persona was just made up..

I miss that Catastrophe. I met him a couple of times after we bought a home in Cape Coral.. He was larger than life in person - what fun guy to be around. I hope that he is still doing well these days.
The following 12 users liked this post by Marginmn:
Bobthebuilder (01-29-2024), cheech (01-29-2024), cigrocket (01-30-2024), endeavor1 (01-29-2024), Indy (01-29-2024), Interceptor (01-29-2024), jeff32 (01-29-2024), larslindroth (01-29-2024), Padraig (01-29-2024), rak rua (01-29-2024), Twin O/B Sonic (01-29-2024), Wildman_grafix (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 04:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

He lied about every facet of his life. after the buyout here, we all went to serious. Everyone had diff roles to help build content, Even some of the people that helped Steve here came over, we had a great start and the did poker runs and race events to bolster the site. We did the Cambridge races and he rode with me and some friends including glassdave and while drinking and bragging some things didn't add up. I was talking with some friends here, Josh (baywatch/rastaboatin),Heather, Nick (cigdaze) Panther, glassdave, Jayboat and some others, and we started piecing together the stories, when I called him out in a letter, a very long letter that listed every one of his boats he claimed to have owned (over 30 of them, many in the hundreds of thousands price range), his military service as well as his "knowledge posts" on here that were plagiarized from the internet and he banned me from the board of serious, Alec was one of the chief supporters as well as a guy under the name of bootdaddy (ill leave his real name out). Basically he used everyone's connections and money to fulfill his dreams of offshore bravado, he would say he was tight with so and so, to ingratiate himself to others. It was all lies and a shell game, he even tried to say he was involved in a Michigan boat company with a famous builder/throttle-man. Alec and the original guys didn't want to believe it until they were all in key west. I could never go to KW because it was always during SEMA and i had to be there. there was a charity auction and people wrote their names on money for the charity, later that night people started to get money back from the bar as change with names on them in sharpie. he was spending the money the charity raised He kept denying it, but eventually it was too much for them to take anymore as nothing could be substantiated at all. he said he would write a check for it, wrote one for a much smaller amount and it bounced. he sued 8 or so of us, acted as his own attorney... went nowhere
Then the pics of the houses and people started comparing notes on stories and it all went viral. all it boiled down to was he got too big for his britches and full of himself, don't lie and just be yourself.

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 01-29-2024 at 04:39 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by offshoredrillin:
Bobthebuilder (01-29-2024), bulletbob (01-30-2024), jayboat (01-30-2024), jeff32 (01-29-2024), Padraig (01-29-2024), Perlmudder (01-30-2024), rak rua (01-29-2024), Twin O/B Sonic (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
He lied about every facet of his life. after the buyout here, we all went to serious. Everyone had diff roles to help build content, Even some of the people that helped Steve here came over, we had a great start and the did poker runs and race events to bolster the site. We did the Cambridge races and he rode with me and some friends including glassdave and while drinking and bragging some things didn't add up. I was talking with some friends here, Josh (baywatch/rastaboatin),Heather, Nick (cigdaze) Panther, glassdave, Jayboat and some others, and we started piecing together the stories, when I called him out in a letter, a very long letter that listed every one of his boats he claimed to have owned (over 30 of them, many in the hundreds of thousands price range), his military service as well as his "knowledge posts" on here that were plagiarized from the internet and he banned me from the board of serious, Alec was one of the chief supporters as well as a guy under the name of bootdaddy (ill leave his real name out). Basically he used everyone's connections and money to fulfill his dreams of offshore bravado, he would say he was tight with so and so, to ingratiate himself to others. It was all lies and a shell game, he even tried to say he was involved in a Michigan boat company with a famous builder/throttle-man. Alec and the original guys didn't want to believe it until they were all in key west. I could never go to KW because it was always during SEMA and i had to be there. there was a charity auction and people wrote their names on money for the charity, later that night people started to get money back from the bar as change with names on them in sharpie. he was spending the money the charity raised He kept denying it, but eventually it was too much for them to take anymore as nothing could be substantiated at all. he said he would write a check for it, wrote one for a much smaller amount and it bounced. he sued 8 or so of us, acted as his own attorney... went nowhere
Then the pics of the houses and people started comparing notes on stories and it all went viral. all it boiled down to was he got too big for his britches and full of himself, don't lie and just be yourself.
Been a few years. I forgot that you were the first one to call him out. I cannot believe that he actually had the audacity to sue you guys when you could prove he was lying simply by googling his home and there was no pool there as he claimed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Marginmn:
jeff32 (01-29-2024), Twin O/B Sonic (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 06:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Been a few years. I forgot that you were the first one to call him out. I cannot believe that he actually had the audacity to sue you guys when you could prove he was lying simply by googling his home and there was no pool there as he claimed.
it sucks that there are so many good people in this hobby and industry, yet it seems like the only ones they talk about are the ones who suck. there was a lot of good people that did good things, that met here. im not on much anymore, so we just talk on phone or text. we used to travel the country for runs and support charities... some good stuff.

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 01-30-2024 at 07:11 AM. Reason: spelling
The following 8 users liked this post by offshoredrillin:
jayboat (01-30-2024), jeff32 (01-29-2024), Marginmn (01-30-2024), Padraig (01-29-2024), ROCKETMAN (01-30-2024), Smarty (01-30-2024), TeamSaris (01-31-2024), Twin O/B Sonic (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

Can’t believe I missed all this drama.

I remember the name and got the memo that he was a legend in his own mind.

Must have been during my cruiser days cuz y’all mentioned when this site sold and everything changed.

Remember reading about it but missied it too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.