Scarab sinks at Havasu video... >

Scarab sinks at Havasu video...

Notices

Scarab sinks at Havasu video...

Old 06-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Time
My strainer sits pretty low in the bilge...you can unscrew the top and use that if you ever get in a real bad jam.
Only if you have the shut-off valve for the water intake. Otherwise you create another hole for water to rush in.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Registered

I wonder if there's a three way valve on the market that would draw from the sea water during normal conditions, but could draw from a hose leading to the bottom of the bilge during an emergency, while blocking off the sea water side.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TampaBeach
It was a scarab, as for the Fountain yea a 29 w/ twin big blocks sits LOW. However the vents (circular on rear) you are refering to have tubes that run farther up into the boat so the back end has to be really down for water to actually make it into the engine compartment, probably low enough to realize you would be in trouble, like the swim platform would be under water. But it is more than possible, I think the ones that sunk were anchored from rear and surging waves did them in. NEVER anchor from stern.

I still think they left a plug out or bellows tore, and was taking on water for awhile, as for another boat pulling?? I have seen this done but damn it would take balls to go for it. I would do it for a friend but a total stranger, probably not, just too much risk, and sue happy lawyers out there.
I would have to disagree, I run twin big blocks and even with 6 people on the back it doesn't sit that low. Plus the vents, three per side (6-3" holes) only has one hose that goes directly into the blower then into the bottom of the bilge. It's possibly been modified but there are no signs of it. Mine is actually called a 27' Sport even though its 29 loa.

Either way it sucks to see anything go down as I hope never to encounter such a thing.
Attached Thumbnails Scarab sinks at Havasu video...-lake.jpg  
Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MacGyver
I wonder if there's a three way valve on the market that would draw from the sea water during normal conditions, but could draw from a hose leading to the bottom of the bilge during an emergency, while blocking off the sea water side.
This is a great idea........you are a MacGyver haha.

I'm sure you could find something out there to fashion this.

In my case my sea strainer sits on the bottom of the bilge, so all I need is a valve on the other side of it and I can just pull the lid to have it pump. Sucks though because that lid doesn't go on easy at all, and when they winterized it they didn't seal it good so I have a small leak from it.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rlj676
This is a great idea........you are a MacGyver haha.

I'm sure you could find something out there to fashion this.

In my case my sea strainer sits on the bottom of the bilge, so all I need is a valve on the other side of it and I can just pull the lid to have it pump. Sucks though because that lid doesn't go on easy at all, and when they winterized it they didn't seal it good so I have a small leak from it.
If your has a large rubber o-ring then you can use some di-electric grease on it, works great on pool filters.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:40 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are 3 way ball valves out there. I just seen some on ebay yesterday, 1 1/2" for about $200. each Stainless Steel I might go looking for them again. Cheap investment to run a rigid hose th the bottom of the bilge then all that's needed it flip the valve handle, no cutting involved.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MacGyver
thats a pretty good idea. i have dedicated valves at the transom to shut off the water pickup source. but you have to hang over the Gils to pull up on the levers. Be much easier to do it all at strainer.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by prostock85
If your has a large rubber o-ring then you can use some di-electric grease on it, works great on pool filters.
I'll try that. The sea strainer is a wide short one with a glass top and o-ring, it's real tough to get to seal.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Registered

Adding a three way valve will work but what will also work is adding a T fitting somewhere in the suction line after the isolation valve with its own valve on bottom side, piece of hose to that and a foot strainer at the end of hose. Thats the set up we use on small military boats for just that purpose (Emergancy Dewatering).
Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Registered

$200 valves, three-ways....how about just carry/install an extra bilge pump? And maintain your equipment. And don't do stupid chit...like letting some chick hurl on your boat. She'd be the first one walking the plank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.