Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Storage shop/building questions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/233432-storage-shop-building-questions.html)

CcanDo 07-03-2010 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Stilwell (Post 3150377)
Are the concrete prices you guys are giving just for the aggregate? I am currently working with Morton Buildings on a project and they are telling me $4.50 a sq. ft. for concrete work start to finish.

Thanks.

What is included @ $ 4.50 /SQ. Ft. ..... Pad, Concrete thickness, Mix, Beams, Piers, Re-bar, anchor bolts, Slab size ( Pumper truck/Boom truck may be required, $500.00), Ramps, etc.....$4.50 turn key may/may not be a good price.....Call a couple of Ready Mix plants for concrete prices and Finishers names...It's a buyers market.

Also, shop a couple of Metal building/Steel Manufacturers...Convince them you are serious ! ...Then, you can be the General, hire the Subs....Or, at least compare pricing against turn key, from a General. Probably 20 %.

CcanDo 07-03-2010 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 3149719)
9000 sq feet of concrete including the shop, the concrete was poured by 7.30 pm finishing crew left at 4am. They used 3 motorized finishing machines + all the trowel work around the bolts doors etc.

When I say planning is everything, I am referring to utilities, drainage etc.

You are apparently in the concrete business so there is nothing I can tell you. However there is plenty a potential shop builder can learn from these threads.

Look at the driveway !!! The driveway covers most of south Texas, 9,000 Sq. Ft. doesn't surprise me.

Stilwell 07-03-2010 09:28 AM

duh

Sorry, I wasn't very specific. I am somewhat concrete and construction ignorant and my knowledge stops at the price was for 4" 4,000 psi mix and there is rebar in it. I will have to get into the details of the other items included in the structure of the slab. I do know I need to go to 6.5" to accommodate the lift I want.

The pumper trucks, finishing, etc. was included and I am limited to a 1,500 sq. ft. building by the county and will also have a 850 approximate sq. ft. pad poured at the same time. Thus the concrete will only be 2,350 sq. ft. or so.

I like Morton Buildings a lot but I do suspect they are the priciest. I like there quality and I like that their crews do the construction. I have run into other buildings where they just drop the stuff off and the buyer has to locate a construction crew. However, once I have the design I want within the county limitations and get approval, you can bet I will shop a couple of others to get a line on price.

As far as being the GC, I don't know about that. I can find and vet subs but I have no idea how to tell if things like site prep and concrete pours and finishing are done correctly. If there was something really wrong I am sure I could see that but if something was slightly off I doubt I would know how to see it.

Morton offers the GC service for 15%. Given my size and relatively flat site, I believe site prep and concrete can be done for under $10,000 meaning I would only be paying $1,500 or less for someone to take the responsibility of getting it right. Seems like cheap insurance for someone not in the business.

Plumbing, electrical, remaining driveway, interior finishing, etc. I understand and can GC those items myself.

Having said all of that do you think the concrete pricing is in the hunt? Also, any experience with what it costs to have the tubes put in the concrete for floor heat? I know the boilers are pretty pricey but don't know what it takes to get the tubing in. Seems like that should be pretty cheap.

Thanks to all.

Wobble 07-03-2010 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Stilwell (Post 3150520)
Sorry, I wasn't very specific. I am somewhat concrete and construction ignorant and my knowledge stops at the price was for 4" 4,000 psi mix and there is rebar in it. I will have to get into the details of the other items included in the structure of the slab. I do know I need to go to 6.5" to accommodate the lift I want.

The pumper trucks, finishing, etc. was included and I am limited to a 1,500 sq. ft. building by the county and will also have a 850 approximate sq. ft. pad poured at the same time. Thus the concrete will only be 2,350 sq. ft. or so.

I like Morton Buildings a lot but I do suspect they are the priciest. I like there quality and I like that their crews do the construction. I have run into other buildings where they just drop the stuff off and the buyer has to locate a construction crew. However, once I have the design I want within the county limitations and get approval, you can bet I will shop a couple of others to get a line on price.

As far as being the GC, I don't know about that. I can find and vet subs but I have no idea how to tell if things like site prep and concrete pours and finishing are done correctly. If there was something really wrong I am sure I could see that but if something was slightly off I doubt I would know how to see it.

Morton offers the GC service for 15%. Given my size and relatively flat site, I believe site prep and concrete can be done for under $10,000 meaning I would only be paying $1,500 or less for someone to take the responsibility of getting it right. Seems like cheap insurance for someone not in the business.

Plumbing, electrical, remaining driveway, interior finishing, etc. I understand and can GC those items myself.

Having said all of that do you think the concrete pricing is in the hunt? Also, any experience with what it costs to have the tubes put in the concrete for floor heat? I know the boilers are pretty pricey but don't know what it takes to get the tubing in. Seems like that should be pretty cheap.

Thanks to all.

From what I have seen, pricing is still very regional. I had built the pad and hauled all the fill material and had it compacted. So the contractor who I had used before for an industrial building only had to grade the surface dig the beams, set all the hardware

They allowed me to do the plumbing and the utilities prior to the pour and even suggested some extra conduits for future use.

My cost came out around 3.50 a square foot, but I got somewhat of a buddy deal + the contractor had concrete pre-bought for a large job at a favorable price which he extended to include my pour.

If your guy is doing all the site prep and building a pad with hauled in material then your price sounds reasonable to me, but I am not an expert.

skaterdave 07-03-2010 11:10 AM

the steel building should be around $3.00 a sq ft for the building itself not including the site prep, concrete work or mechanicals. to put the building up should $3.00 a sq ft on the high end.

CcanDo 07-03-2010 12:38 PM

Morton is a good household name. Have you compared insurance rates, marketability, maintainance and residual value, wood Vs. steel ?

Stilwell 07-03-2010 06:29 PM

I have looked at maintenance and resale. I am way over-improving for my acreage and house so either way resale is a losing proposition.

I have not inquired about the difference in insurance, I'll have to do that next week.

I have not priced a stick built building but have been told it is considerable more expensive than steel. Is that incorrect?

Thanks.

Sydwayz 07-03-2010 10:03 PM

The prices on the Pioneer website that I referenced previously are BUILT/INSTALLED prices. They are unbeatable at this point.

Seriously.

Wobble 07-03-2010 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 3150756)

Seriously.

Oh no , you didn't:evilb: