Performance Deckboats--which one? >

Performance Deckboats--which one?

Notices

Performance Deckboats--which one?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave1972
Thank you for the feedback so far. The Advantage xFlight is a very odd concept and looks kinda odd (in my opinion) on the water.

Was VERY interested in this one based on price point but have never rode in one. Not really sure what to expect?

http://www.stellarautoplex.com/web/1...ravo%20One%20X

Deal is pending--anyone from here?

Rush--your boat is sweet, just not quite what I'm after.

Anyone know if Ultra is still in business?
Eliminators are built with a heavy layup so that boat may not break 60 with the 375hp motor. Their gelcoat is second to none on the West Coast. Price is right too.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Registered

Looking for a 27+ deckboat. Saw a used Eliminator 27 and thought it would fit our current needs quite well. Who is still in business and which boats should I look at? All around performance is important--tubing, skiing, wakeboarding are all important. Other things like a bimini, spot for a port-a-potti, and LOOKS are also high on the list. I know that Nordic makes one, Ultra (out of business right?)...what else should I look for?

Price points between 50 and 100 (how's that for generic?)

Thank you for the feedback.
The West Coast builders provide vast choice in this area.

Help me out a bit..

1. How do you measure 27 ft?

Do you mean a 25 ft boat with a 2 foot step?
Or a 27 ft boat with a 2 foot step?

2. How many people are you taking with you?

They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

The 2 companies that have been in continuos production since the 50's have the best product.

Howard- Awesome - fastest- a little smaller (Kaps is epic)
LaveyCraft- Awesome - bigger a littler slower

These are the 2 I would focus on getting a deal on. If you pick up one of these with a Teague 800 youll be a happy guy.

Advantage has 2 lines of product that "fit" the Xflight - basically a V with a modded foredeck. Its cool and a bit funky.

Advantage "party cat" line- to me this is the original West Coast performance deckboat available in a wide array of lengths.

Not the build quality of the Howard or Lavey or gel of the above 2 - but its still a good product.

Eliminator stuff seems to be hit or miss, but overall I think they make a great boat.

Ultra makes a nice product.

Nordic makes a good product as well.

You really want to look for vacuum bagged product.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 07-29-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Eliminators are built with a heavy layup so that boat may not break 60 with the 375hp motor. Their gelcoat is second to none on the West Coast. Price is right too.
I disagree about the heaviness and the speed you thru out .I own a 27 fundeck Eliminator with a 496ho (425hp) and it runs a solid 70mph with no porposing.I have run with the bimini top up easily to 60mph with4-5 people on board.AS for towing,if i didnt look in my mirror,i would never know i was towing it behind my stock F-250.
Tubes and tows skiers great.I love it.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Registered

Lightbulb

http://www.yachttraderonline.com/fin...conquest-boats
Conquest Boats 28ft
Old 07-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Registered

Let me ask something; are these boats as difficult/expensive to insure as a regular cat?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Registered

I checked on insurance for the boat I was looking at--Liberty Mutual (my current ins.co.) and Progressive were nearly identical at around $660/year--assuming 6 month layup for winter. Allstate was $200 cheaper. And yes, I told the truth. Progressive actually asked about the engine size and if there have been any modifications made to the engine to increase performance.

Love the look of the Conquest! How long have they been around? What's the story (where made, who started, etc.)?

Skater40--since you have one, is there anything I should be looking at as far as build quality or accessories for the Eliminator if I'm able to find one? Do you like the 496HO or would you recommend more? Does the Eliminator have built-in cooler(s)? How is the ride quality compared to a traditional v-bottom?

Thanks!

Last edited by Dave1972; 07-29-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BowenCT
Let me ask something; are these boats as difficult/expensive to insure as a regular cat?
depends some are-

the insurance companies visit the manufacturers and determine if a particular "deck boat" is really a cat with the bow cut out or a purpose made hull.

UD
Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Registered

Best of luck with the seach Dave. I see Specialty Boats over here in MN has a couple Advantage's listed on their site.

http://www.specialtyboats.com/usedboats.htm
Old 07-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Registered

I checked on insurance for the boat I was looking at--Liberty Mutual (my current ins.co.) and Progressive were nearly identical at around $660/year--assuming 6 month layup for winter. Allstate was $200 cheaper. And yes, I told the truth. Progressive actually asked about the engine size and if there have been any modifications made to the engine to increase performance.

Love the look of the Conquest! How long have they been around? What's the story (where made, who started, etc.)?

Skater40--since you have one, is there anything I should be looking at as far as build quality or accessories for the Eliminator if I'm able to find one? Do you like the 496HO or would you recommend more? Does the Eliminator have built-in cooler(s)? How is the ride quality compared to a traditional v-bottom?

Thanks!
Comment:

I would stay away from Progressive Insurance as they have a bad reputation out west and with several performance boaters I know.

Farmers will write it and check a companies reputation on boats just because they sell it does not mean they will stand behind you if something happens.

Conquest is Group One Marine aka Conquest they are built in Lake Havasu City and have two deckboat models the Top Cat and the Top Cat II---great deckboats in my opinion and well made.

As for features in the used market you take what the orignal owner ordered unless you buy new.

I can't speak for Skater40 but know him. From my experience I would run a HP525 at a bare minimum for power. Why well the 496HO will get you around when you load up with people and gear it will be difficult to make the speeds alleged much less pass anyone.

KAP

P.S. I have driven or have experience with all the major deckboat manufacturers on the market----except for the new Nordic model.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Registered

Great feedback guys! I've only seen a small handful (less than 5) Conquest boats here in Wisconsin. Do you think that if I purchased one here that the resale would be difficult?

Has anyone been on the Advantage? I see the link that Caincando provided that they have a 34 deckboat--anyone with experience? Is big and probably heavy?

The number of people on the boat isn't a factor as if I have 8 people on it, I'm not likely going to try and run 70+ as long as it can get on plane and cruise that would be great.

I haven't been on any of them--how do they ride? Easy to drive compared to similar size v-bottom?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.