More On Outerlimits SV-52 Quad Diesel V-bottom >

More On Outerlimits SV-52 Quad Diesel V-bottom

Notices

More On Outerlimits SV-52 Quad Diesel V-bottom

Old 08-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
It is based on the Cummins. I work for Outerlimits and have talked with the FPT rep's and mechanics.
Ok,,so FPTuses the block and head from cummins,but different crank and piston specs /size ?
Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
It is based on the Cummins. I work for Outerlimits and have talked with the FPT rep's and mechanics.
will a Cummins service center than do the repairs if neccessary. Also educate me on these if you dont mind..how are these motors in relationship to size and weight vs the 480/960 Cummins Diesels.. or even the 480/960 Yanmars.. thanks JEFF
Old 08-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
will a Cummins service center than do the repairs if neccessary. Also educate me on these if you dont mind..how are these motors in relationship to size and weight vs the 480/960 Cummins Diesels.. or even the 480/960 Yanmars.. thanks JEFF
NO.... They are based upon the same block as the QSB 5.9ltr was originally made by FPT for Cummins. Cummins recently started making it themselves. The 6.7l is a bored stroked 5.9l..

The FPT 560 is also the same motor as the Iveco but FPT does not at this time have to the same extent a dealer network like Cummins does. The FPT's are a bargain as far as price is concerned over the Yanmars though.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
We made a triple 600hp 46' for the 1990 Venice to Monte Carlo, it ran within 5 mph of the 4 engine Gancia. It would do a 100 mph.

I can tell you the quad boat just handled better.
These FPT engines achieved a win for Fabio Buzzi in the UK race the Cowes Torquay Cowes a race of 182 nm non stop in open water and they averaged 91.01 mph to take the flag back in 08 he is entered again this year in the CTC taking place over this weekend the boat is in Class A ... http://cowes2010.co.uk/entrants.htm

Old 09-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fabio Buzzi's boat the famous restored 46' mono with 4x600hp Fiat diesel engines did it yet again winning the Friday Cowes 100 race and again on Sunday winning the 50th anniversary Cowes-Torquay-Cowes race with it's Fiat engines never missing a beat, the race started at 10am in some pretty rough offshore conditions and gradually deteriorated even further as the race progressed. Diesel engines proved pretty reliable during this race of extreme harsh conditions taking 1st 2nd 5th 8th and 12th although 3rd place was achieved by a US Phantom 38' with petrols great going against the larger Italian boats especially considering the conditions that day.
In some ways this race was a showdown between some of the worlds most legendary offshore Mono hulls and in some of the roughest seas ever raced in to prove themselves ie ... the Buzzi boats 1st and 2nd a petrol 2x 725hp Ilmor CUV 4th and an American hull know for it's sea keeping abilities a 41' Apache with 2x700hp petrol engines 6th, to be fair the Apache although a race boat is mainly as far as I am aware used for pleasure purposes so 1st time the crew have pushed the boat in a race or so I assume

The 52' Outerlimits with it's 4xFiat diesel engines in this thread may have been the only boat able to stop the 2 Italian boats from their dominance this weekend but that we will never unfortunately now know

Picture taken from the CTC site, now the RB 12 site