Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Haggin Retires (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/240983-haggin-retires.html)

skaterdave 10-21-2010 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A. (Post 3235612)
Single 525 V - 26-32'
Twin 525 V - 35-40'
Twin 525 Cat - 30-36'
Twin Outboard Cat - 30-36'
Twin 850 Cat - 36-40'
Twin Unlimited Cat - 40' plus
Twin Unlimited V - 40' plus
Twin Turbine Cat - 40' plus

8 classes should be enough.

great idea.........
oohhh wait thats what we got already.

schnydo 10-21-2010 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by DaveP (Post 3235416)
The most competitive racing I have ever witnessed were the world championships held in St. Pete in 2000.

The "class attendance" was unbelievable.

I remember (approximately)

15 - 18 F-1
20 - 22 F-2 boats (including the one Stinson put upsidedown LOL!)
17-18 Supercats

Absolutely amazing racing to watch

YES AL THOSE SUPERCAT COMING RIGHT AT THE PIER

phragle 10-21-2010 10:55 PM

I thought we were talking about Haggin.......

Karaokemike 10-21-2010 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 3235939)
I thought we were talking about Haggin.......

Good Point......

This is about Haggin and what he has done for the sport!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me be a part of your team and I hope that things go well for you in the future my friend. BIG SMILE:)

GEICO will stay in the sport next year although at this time it is unclear what the pans for the boat are. Thanks to everyone for their support and see you in 2011!!!!

T2x 10-22-2010 07:09 AM

Good Luck John............ We wish you the best.

You have joined a long list of colorful, famous, (and infamous) benefactors who have carried the sport of Offshore Racing on their shoulders at times, starting with the sport's greatest contributer, Carl Kiekhaefer, and passing on to Bill Wishnick, Rocky Aoki, Al Copeland, various Augie Busch's, Tom Gentry, Joe Mach, Bill Gifford, and even a number of drug kingpins and La Cosa Nostra for a time.

One clear question is emerging. In the absence of one or more generous deep pocketed individual(s), can the sport survive on its own two feet?

The next couple of years should be both interesting for the "givers" and distressing for the "takers".

God Speed Mr. Haggin, and may "The Horse" be with you.....;)

T2x

Ted G 10-22-2010 07:47 AM

Sorry for the hijack. John, thanks for all you have done for the sport all these years. Your generosity and patience seems to know no bounds. Good luck on the next part of your journey, don't forget to stop by a race once in a while :D

BIG SMILE!

CigDaze 10-22-2010 07:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Best of luck John. Thanks for all you've done for the sport!!

===============================

On another note:

Originally Posted by DaveP (Post 3235416)
The most competitive racing I have ever witnessed were the world championships held in St. Pete in 2000.

The "class attendance" was unbelievable.

I remember (approximately)

15 - 18 F-1
20 - 22 F-2 boats (including the one Stinson put upsidedown LOL!)
17-18 Supercats

Absolutely amazing racing to watch

I couldn't agree more. That was the most incredible race I can remember.

I took these from the Pier. Look at all those boats vying for the lead into turn #1.

:cool:

GB 10-22-2010 08:12 AM

Thank you Mr. Haggin.

Matt Trulio 10-22-2010 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3236021)
Good Luck John............ We wish you the best.

You have joined a long list of colorful, famous, (and infamous) benefactors who have carried the sport of Offshore Racing on their shoulders at times, starting with the sport's greatest contributer, Carl Kiekhaefer, and passing on to Bill Wishnick, Rocky Aoki, Al Copeland, various Augie Busch's, Tom Gentry, Joe Mach, Bill Gifford, and even a number of drug kingpins and La Cosa Nostra for a time.

One clear question is emerging. In the absence of one or more generous deep pocketed individual(s), can the sport survive on its own two feet?

The next couple of years should be both interesting for the "givers" and distressing for the "takers".

God Speed Mr. Haggin, and may "The Horse" be with you.....;)

T2x

To me, T2X's question is as compelling as what form AMF Racing will take in the near and distant future. And it begs another:

Did the sport scare off, burn out or simply bore the hell out of another extremely deep and generous pocket?

Slightly off topic but worth clarifying: It's been suggested that horse racing/race horse breeding is a "new" pursuit for Haggin. Not the case.

Last, while there will always be critics willing to tell you how you should have spent your money, you did right—more than right—by this sport, Mr. Haggin. You gave far more than you took, and from where I sit you tried to make it better. Onto greener equine pastures.

DaveP 10-22-2010 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio (Post 3236236)
Mr. Haggin. You gave far more than you took, and from where I sit you tried to make it better.

Without a doubt there is not a more accurate statement than that.

I would be tempted to say that John Haggin was THE most generous person the sport has ever seen. Between supporting his own team and for several years countless others in one way or another. Definately a unique kind of guy.

Thanks for the memories and the laughs John!