Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
32 year, 3 months and 11 days at Penske Racing - I'M RETIRED!!! >

32 year, 3 months and 11 days at Penske Racing - I'M RETIRED!!!

Notices

32 year, 3 months and 11 days at Penske Racing - I'M RETIRED!!!

Old 12-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations Chuck! you should be proud to have a career that you loved!
now you have more time to work on Diane's list : :
Old 12-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Acturally, Chuck, you are one of the few guys that I admit that i know and like.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

So....what is your opinion of Tony George???????
Old 12-24-2010, 12:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Congratulations, Chuck. That is an amazing life story that you can be very proud of. I sent you a PM on the info you were looking for re: BVI / USVI. All the best and I hope you will share more with us. Very interesting.
Bob
Old 12-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

That is one heck of a career, something to be proud of, and it sounds like you loved what you did. Congrats, and hope to see ya on the water. Jeff
Old 12-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Maybe you will find time to give a old friend a call.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ!
Old 12-25-2010, 03:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Thanks for all the kind wishes - they will help ease the transition.

Craig - You're right, there were lots of memorable (good and bad) moments. Picking the top one is like trying to pick your favorite dessert.

Linda Vaughn remembering my name the second time she met me.
Getting to see this amazing country while driving trucks coast-to-coast. (Hint: Watch the animated movie "Cars".)
Surviving my first pit stop, unscathed and with no mistakes.
The first time that the car I was assigned to won a race (Mario Andretti, Michigan 1980).
The fire in Rick Mears' pit in the 1981 Indy 500.
The GIGANTIC fire in the pit right behind us two months later at Michigan. 280 gallons of methanol.
Rick's car locking up solid with a broken gearbox as we pushed it back to the garage from Victory Circle at Watkins Glen in 1981, after winning the race.
Meeting Jackie Stewart, Stirling Moss, and tons of other legends of the sport.
Winning the lots of races and CART Championship with Rick Mears in 1981 and 1982.
Leading every lap of the first two races in 1982.
Breaking the track record by SEVEN miles per hour at Indy in 1982. On the first day of practice.
Winning the Pocono 500 by three laps in 1982.
Getting a stainless Rolex from Rick for the 1982 Championship.
Flying to England for two weeks every fall to help build the first "next year" car. And dreadful British food.
Heather Locklear in the pits at Cleveland in 1983.
Witnessing Rick Mears' crippling crash at Sanair in 1984. The worst feeling ever.
My first Lear Jet ride with RP in 1984.
Starting up the very first Ilmor engine of any type in 1984.
Winning the 1985 Indianapolis 500 in my first year as a Chief Mechanic, in only my third race in that role. (Anyone remember Danny Sullivan's "Spin-and-win"?)
Setting a Pit Stop Competition record that stood for 14 years at the 1985 Indy 500.
The GOLD Rolex that AJ Foyt's family presented me for the 1985 500. Still on my wrist to this day.
Finding out that AJ is actually a really cool and friendly guy as long as you keep the TV cameras away.
Christy Brinkley (then Mrs. Billy Joel) in the pits at the Meadowlands in 1986.
"Big Al" Unser winning the 1987 Indy 500 with a year-old car that we had re-activated from show car duty 12 days earlier.
Winning the 1988 CART Championship going away, with one race still left, after coming into the fourth race of the season with zero points. We won nine poles, five races and set 10 track records in the process.
Roger meeting me late at night at the Reading airport to offer me the Team Managers position in late 1988.
..and this was only the first ten years...
Hey Chuck,

Where is the "meeting the track doc and talking about Formulas and your batboat in the garage at Michigan Speedway" in that list ...?

Hanging out at MIS with the Penske team on test days has always been one of the coolist things in my career. You guys have always been a class act from the top down! I have been a major fan since I was a kid, and still pull for you guys at every race.

Best wishes in your retirement ... and if any of that involves trips to Vegas, please look me up out here!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails 32 year, 3 months and 11 days at Penske Racing - I'M RETIRED!!!-mis-6-06-004.jpg   32 year, 3 months and 11 days at Penske Racing - I'M RETIRED!!!-mis-6-06-007.jpg  

Last edited by RedDog382; 12-25-2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:59 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Great for you Chuck.

Keep having fun, that's what it's all about.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Acturally, Chuck, you are one of the few guys that I admit that i know and like.
There you have it folks - My life is now complete! Always an enjoyable experience, Brownie.

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
So....What is your opinion of Tony George??????
Clearly, the state of IndyCar racing nowadays versus where it was in 1995 speaks volumes for Mr. George and the Illustrious Racin' League's efforts....

RedDog382 - I did not realize that we had met. Hope that I wasn't too obnoxious. Sorry that we couldn't hook up when we brought the boat to Put-In Bay in 2007.

Everyone else - I'll be travelling for the next two days, so my online access will be limited, but all your well-wishes and kind thoughts mean a lot. This is a bittersweet moment for me, but I'm looking forward to things more and more every day!
Old 12-25-2010, 02:33 PM
RHC
Registered

Congrat's Chuck, wishing you and Di, nothing but the best,
Life is good when everyday is a Sat . ,, Get back to Lake Erie and we can watch the boats from Kelly's and set on the "Front Rail" for a week or two, again , wishing you the best,

Roger and Stef

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.