Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
32 year, 3 months and 11 days at Penske Racing - I'M RETIRED!!! >

32 year, 3 months and 11 days at Penske Racing - I'M RETIRED!!!

Notices

32 year, 3 months and 11 days at Penske Racing - I'M RETIRED!!!

Old 12-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 32 year, 3 months and 11 days at Penske Racing - I'M RETIRED!!!

Our company's relationship with our major sponsor (Marlboro) has come to an end after 20 years. As a result, all of the assets of the subsidiary company that I have been running for Penske Racing (Racing Experience, Inc.) are being moved to the main shop in Mooresville, North Carolina. Unfortunately, we have also had to lay off the entire staff. In my case, I have elected to accept a severance package and continue my involvement with Penske Racing as a part-time contractor for a small program to be run by Racing Experience, Inc. in 2011.

This brings to an end more than 32 years of full-time employment with Roger Penske and Penske Racing. In that time, I have served in every capacity from truck driver and assistant mechanic to Vice President. I have done every job in the place, from sweeping the floors to pit stops to building cars to running the company. I have been part of over 80 Indy Car race wins, countless Pole positions, 8 Indianapolis 500 wins and 4 CART National Championships. I have worked with Mario Andretti, Bobby Unser, Rick Mears, Al Unser, Emerson Fittipaldi, Al Unser Jr, Kevin Cogan, Bill Alsup, Andre Ribiero, Paul Tracy, Scott Sharp, and even an unforgettable guest appearance by Ayrton Senna. All of these guys were incredible athletes and consummate professionals, but it was the guys on the team who really blew me away over the years. The mechanics, support members and engineers collectively were the most amazing group of people that I have ever met. Their dedication, skills, intelligence and perseverance in the face of situations that the rest of us would consider to be insurmountable or even frightening was something to see. Many of these people remain lifelong friends to this day, and I carry and undying respect for all of them. Short of war, there not many endeavors that push people to their limits like motor racing, particularly in the CART era from the late 70's through the late 90's. I am so lucky to have been able to experience these events and these people. What a great ride.

It's a strange feeling to realize that my time is largely my own now. With all the travelling, commitments, responsibilities and planning duties that I've carried with me every day for so long, I have to get used to enjoying time for myself now. I certainly don't regret my decision, but I have no doubt that it will take some time to adapt. I can tell you all this much right now, though: You're going to see A LOT MORE of me on the water in the future.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
Attached Thumbnails 32 year, 3 months and 11 days at Penske Racing - I'M RETIRED!!!-1982_094.jpg   32 year, 3 months and 11 days at Penske Racing - I'M RETIRED!!!-1987in_034.jpg   32 year, 3 months and 11 days at Penske Racing - I'M RETIRED!!!-1993_piston.jpg  

32 year, 3 months and 11 days at Penske Racing - I'M RETIRED!!!-ilmor500i-tm-drawing-big.jpg   32 year, 3 months and 11 days at Penske Racing - I'M RETIRED!!!-1985_gilmoreaward.jpg  
Old 12-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to go Chuck and congrats! You must be very old.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:18 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats!! Now you can live like Bob the Builder and enjoy your life to the fullest!!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoy your retirement. More time for the boat now
Old 12-23-2010, 10:27 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Congrats to you my friend!!!

One question... and this may be hard one to answer after being a part of so much excitement for so many years...

Is there one moment that stands out above all others in your career?

Hoping to see more of you and Diane on the water this upcoming season!!!

Craig
Old 12-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Congrats Chuck!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Congrats,
I have a good friend that started out at Ilmore, and now works for Andretti Racing, he LOVES his job!

Dean
Old 12-23-2010, 10:34 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Congrats Chuck!...now you have time to clean the garage ...Dave and I will be up for margaritas in the spring... and John will still be there too.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Your Next Career !

I think that you should hook up with REGGIE.I can foresee an unbeatable racing organization with both of your credentials.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats...does this mean they are closing all the facilities in Reading?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.