Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Speakers / most powerful (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/245069-speakers-most-powerful.html)

OCDACTIVE 01-05-2011 09:20 AM

Speakers / most powerful

I am thinking of adding two more speakers to my boat. They would most likely have their own amplifier and would need to be standard size. 6 inch I think??

Any recommendations for the most powerful "marine" speakers? They will be to the right of my throttle and to the left of the passenger up high. Being in these positions the most likely will get wet in a storm or big waves.

Thanks for the advice.

thisistank 01-05-2011 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE (Post 3289210)
I am thinking of adding two more speakers to my boat. They would most likely have their own amplifier and would need to be standard size. 6 inch I think??

Any recommendations for the most powerful "marine" speakers? They will be to the right of my throttle and to the left of the passenger up high. Being in these positions the most likely will get wet in a storm or big waves.

Thanks for the advice.

Is there a reason why you have to put "marine" speakers? I've never run any marine stereo applications on any of my boats (all have had large stereo systems). If you want super clear, loud sound, check out Focal's.

OCDACTIVE 01-05-2011 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3289225)
Is there a reason why you have to put "marine" speakers? I've never run any marine stereo applications on any of my boats (all have had large stereo systems). If you want super clear, loud sound, check out Focal's.

I put marine because they most likely will get wet and I didn't know if that made a difference.

bms26 01-05-2011 11:23 AM

Focal's are the way to go for sure. I've been rained on a couple of times and they still sound great.

animalhouse 01-05-2011 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Focal K2 165KRX3 (3 WAY) will be the best for your aplication. They rock and are very sturdy. They are a bit pricey and do require their own amplifier, but you will not find a cleaner crisper sound. We run them in the dash faces of our 44 SL and can hear the music at 130 like your riding in a lexus. Note the tweeter and mid in the dash face, and the 6" componant under the throttle

kennyo 01-05-2011 11:42 AM

http://www.woofersetc.com/p7915/165K...ponent-Kit.htm

Screw that price!

thisistank 01-05-2011 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE (Post 3289278)
I put marine because they most likely will get wet and I didn't know if that made a difference.

From personal experience, marine grade stereo equipment just isn't at the same quality level as non-marine application. I always mount speaker components at the gunwalls in the cockpit, exposed to the eliments and have never had a failure or issue with moisture (and this includes washing the boat and getting water directly on the speakers).

With that said, if you're looking for high end sound and you're picky about it, don't go with marine grade. If you're looking for loud "decent" sound, marine grade will be fine if you run it correct. Most of the major brands are producing marne grade stereo components including speakers...Alpine, Sony, JBL, Bose, JL Audio (JL being my personal pick and they make amps and speakers in marine grade) are some that will suit your needs for basic "loud party boat" sound.

I'd recommend PMing AudioFN...He's been in the business for a long time and can put you in the right direction.

gare 01-05-2011 12:11 PM

The reason for using marine speakers is because of the support material for the speakers. If you buy the Focals, other than their cheapest model, you're getting the same material as marine speakers. Same with the Polk Audio speakers. I'm running the 7.7" JL components and get a lot of compliments on how clear they are at high volume levels. I haven't heard their 6" speakers so I don't know how they compare. Which ever brand you pick, get enough amplifier. A lot of speakers are destroyed by distortion casused by inferior amplifiers. Of course that opens up the other can of worms......AMPS!!!!!

Griff 01-05-2011 12:51 PM

DC Gold speakers. They have 5.25's or 7's. They sound great and are 100% waterproof. I run 8 of them in my boat.

gare 01-05-2011 07:40 PM

Seriously don't forget about a sub-woofer. There are a lot of free air sub woofers that are easy to mount and do a pretty good job(not great). They seem to really make a big difference in the marine stereo installs.
Although, I just did a side by side comparison with a Clarion 10" FA sub and a 10" enclosed JL Audio sub. No comparison but they aren't close to being in the same price class. I just had to prove to myself that you get what you pay for with this stereo stuff. From what I've personally listened to; Focal, JL Audio, DC Gold, Polk Audio or any of the other high end gear will do you a very nice job. Cookie cutter stereo brand speakers will probably let you down if a really nice stereo rafts up next to you.