Notices

Speakers / most powerful

Old 01-05-2011, 09:20 AM
A.T. Cult Member #4
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers / most powerful

I am thinking of adding two more speakers to my boat. They would most likely have their own amplifier and would need to be standard size. 6 inch I think??

Any recommendations for the most powerful "marine" speakers? They will be to the right of my throttle and to the left of the passenger up high. Being in these positions the most likely will get wet in a storm or big waves.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 3,019 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE
I am thinking of adding two more speakers to my boat. They would most likely have their own amplifier and would need to be standard size. 6 inch I think??

Any recommendations for the most powerful "marine" speakers? They will be to the right of my throttle and to the left of the passenger up high. Being in these positions the most likely will get wet in a storm or big waves.

Thanks for the advice.
Is there a reason why you have to put "marine" speakers? I've never run any marine stereo applications on any of my boats (all have had large stereo systems). If you want super clear, loud sound, check out Focal's.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:23 AM
A.T. Cult Member #4
VIP Member

Originally Posted by thisistank
Is there a reason why you have to put "marine" speakers? I've never run any marine stereo applications on any of my boats (all have had large stereo systems). If you want super clear, loud sound, check out Focal's.
I put marine because they most likely will get wet and I didn't know if that made a difference.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Registered

Focal's are the way to go for sure. I've been rained on a couple of times and they still sound great.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Focal K2 165KRX3 (3 WAY) will be the best for your aplication. They rock and are very sturdy. They are a bit pricey and do require their own amplifier, but you will not find a cleaner crisper sound. We run them in the dash faces of our 44 SL and can hear the music at 130 like your riding in a lexus. Note the tweeter and mid in the dash face, and the 6" componant under the throttle
Attached Thumbnails Speakers / most powerful-dscn0761.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.woofersetc.com/p7915/165K...ponent-Kit.htm

Screw that price!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 3,019 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE
I put marine because they most likely will get wet and I didn't know if that made a difference.
From personal experience, marine grade stereo equipment just isn't at the same quality level as non-marine application. I always mount speaker components at the gunwalls in the cockpit, exposed to the eliments and have never had a failure or issue with moisture (and this includes washing the boat and getting water directly on the speakers).

With that said, if you're looking for high end sound and you're picky about it, don't go with marine grade. If you're looking for loud "decent" sound, marine grade will be fine if you run it correct. Most of the major brands are producing marne grade stereo components including speakers...Alpine, Sony, JBL, Bose, JL Audio (JL being my personal pick and they make amps and speakers in marine grade) are some that will suit your needs for basic "loud party boat" sound.

I'd recommend PMing AudioFN...He's been in the business for a long time and can put you in the right direction.

Last edited by thisistank; 01-05-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Registered

The reason for using marine speakers is because of the support material for the speakers. If you buy the Focals, other than their cheapest model, you're getting the same material as marine speakers. Same with the Polk Audio speakers. I'm running the 7.7" JL components and get a lot of compliments on how clear they are at high volume levels. I haven't heard their 6" speakers so I don't know how they compare. Which ever brand you pick, get enough amplifier. A lot of speakers are destroyed by distortion casused by inferior amplifiers. Of course that opens up the other can of worms......AMPS!!!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

DC Gold speakers. They have 5.25's or 7's. They sound great and are 100% waterproof. I run 8 of them in my boat.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Registered

Seriously don't forget about a sub-woofer. There are a lot of free air sub woofers that are easy to mount and do a pretty good job(not great). They seem to really make a big difference in the marine stereo installs.
Although, I just did a side by side comparison with a Clarion 10" FA sub and a 10" enclosed JL Audio sub. No comparison but they aren't close to being in the same price class. I just had to prove to myself that you get what you pay for with this stereo stuff. From what I've personally listened to; Focal, JL Audio, DC Gold, Polk Audio or any of the other high end gear will do you a very nice job. Cookie cutter stereo brand speakers will probably let you down if a really nice stereo rafts up next to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.