Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Shogren and Fountain Part Ways (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/245923-shogren-fountain-part-ways.html)

fglightning 01-24-2011 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion (Post 3306317)
Fountain web site, hot boat test of a 08 black thunder. Black thunder is WAY more boat then a 47 fountain. Not saying that a 42 fountain might not be fun to drive. But what I and many others use their boat for, we would much rather have a 50 nor tech, 46 black thunder with the amazing extended cockpit, or a 51 outerlimts. We sleep on our boat for long weekends, use the cabin, have lots of friends in the cockpit, and still want to go fast. A fountain does not do that for us. Every boat has its purpose, just impressive in general, (powerboat mag agrees) what a black thunder does with 700's.

Some interesting reading on this forum. I'd like to touch base on the conversation regarding the 47 Fountain versus the 46 Black Thunder. My best friend owns a 46 Black Thunder and I will say the room in the cockpit is tremendous and you can have a lot of friends on there--the head room in the cuddy speaks for itself. Your comment about the BT being way more of a boat than the 47 Fountain just isn't true. This year I had the opportunity to go from Miami to Key West on a full staggered 850 47' Fountain. I must say, the ride quality was amazing. Doesn't even come close to the BT. When you compare the two boats, you have to compare the weight. A 47 Fountain is 16,500 pounds. A 46 BT is 12,500. I'm not saying the BT with 700s wouldn't be a mile an hour faster, but given the 4,000 pound weight difference and the ride quality of a Fountain, they aren't comparable. Any kind of snotty water--I wouldn't want to go over 65 in a BT. That 47 Fountain, however, can handle any speed you throw at it. It's a true offshore boat.

Bryan

Jupiter Sunsation 01-24-2011 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion (Post 3306319)
Do you even know how to read? He wrote "not just fountains".
Shogren is not unicef, they are in business to make money!

The comment earlier is Shogren is out to sell anything, boats/bikes/cars whatever so he obviously would be happy to take Fountains and other v bottoms in because he can sell them.......

Nice Joe Dirt quote there......"not unicef, in business to make money"

LapseofReason 01-24-2011 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND (Post 3306346)
It's cold out so :bsflag:#1 neither 1 of you guys drove a 42' Fountain or any Fountain :evilb:when you do you will call it a 42':lolhit:

Wow wrong again for me atleast, spent an hour driving a 2000 32 Fever, about 30 min. driving a 2003 42 and 15-20 in a sit down 42 not sure of the year but pretty new. They all drove good but that was all I liked.

LapseofReason 01-24-2011 08:01 PM

And by the way I kept my 29 Scarab because it was bigger than the 32 Fever where we use it.

thirdchildhood 01-24-2011 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by LapseofReason (Post 3306260)
Just saying the top speed thing isnt everything, he knew years ago that that was all he had on the other top boats, he put out the bait and only OL bit on it. Ok he won by a few mph in a one off boat, the OL must have cost a ton to build too and now you can have it for pennies of what it cost. I would like to know if OL would do it again if they had the chance, I bet not.
That old NASCAR crap of win on sunday sell on monday isnt true anymore, people are smarter now and want the best for the money.

That one off boat had an outer skin barely 1/16 inch thick. It needed the transom replaced very shortly after being sold. It should have been destroyed because it is a very light and very weak boat. Those record speeds were not set with production boats. How do I know this? I saw it in the shop up close.

FuelinAround 01-24-2011 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Team Shogren (Post 3306290)
We are looking for freshwater, clean, used v-bottoms with stock Mercury power, not just Fountains.

Thank you

Team Shogren

www.teamshogren.com

I understand.... Just the advertisement I saw did not mention any other brands. Large square just said we are looking for used fountains

OL40SVX 01-24-2011 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood (Post 3306458)
That one off boat had an outer skin barely 1/16 inch thick. It needed the transom replaced very shortly after being sold. It should have been destroyed because it is a very light and very weak boat. Those record speeds were not set with production boats. How do I know this? I saw it in the shop up close.

The OL wasnt a one off boat and was run hard for years and will make someone a great boat now that Shogren updated it a bit and at a great price!!

offshorexcursion 01-24-2011 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by fglightning (Post 3306354)
Some interesting reading on this forum. I'd like to touch base on the conversation regarding the 47 Fountain versus the 46 Black Thunder. My best friend owns a 46 Black Thunder and I will say the room in the cockpit is tremendous and you can have a lot of friends on there--the head room in the cuddy speaks for itself. Your comment about the BT being way more of a boat than the 47 Fountain just isn't true. This year I had the opportunity to go from Miami to Key West on a full staggered 850 47' Fountain. I must say, the ride quality was amazing. Doesn't even come close to the BT. When you compare the two boats, you have to compare the weight. A 47 Fountain is 16,500 pounds. A 46 BT is 12,500. I'm not saying the BT with 700s wouldn't be a mile an hour faster, but given the 4,000 pound weight difference and the ride quality of a Fountain, they aren't comparable. Any kind of snotty water--I wouldn't want to go over 65 in a BT. That 47 Fountain, however, can handle any speed you throw at it. It's a true offshore boat.

Bryan

What year is your friends black thunder? Hull changes were made in 07 on the black thunder. A staggerd 850 fountain should handle better then your friends side by side black thunder. It would be cool to see a 850 staggard black thunder though. Who will sleep better at night in the cabin, have more friends in the cockpit, etc. Are we racing here, running poker runs professinonally, or talking recreation. I have not attended tres driving school! A 47 might handle rough better, might not. Depending on the setup, driver, etc.

MY POINT is the speed of the black thunder is impressive, especially how big it is. You admit that.
Black Thunder fits MY needs better then a fountain. OVERALL not just in one catagory. FOR recreational use. It IS way more of a boat then the fountain to me and others, but not everyone. Explain to me how a 47 fountain will serve ME better in RECREATIONAL use please. Thats all.

offshorexcursion 01-24-2011 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by DollaBill (Post 3306332)
I can tell you I've had seat time in MANY Baja models and every later Fountain model (early 2000's up). first there is no comparison in the ride or construction. I agree with what people have said that Fountain built the best of the production boats. I don't think thats a bad thing. It's also true that Baja has it's place as an entry level, price competitive model. Just a fact.

And regarding your comment about staying on boats for the weekend..... thats a VERY different boating than most do here. Most dont use their boats as a camper.

You are the first one to bring up "Fountain built the best of the production boats".
Everyone else is brainwashed that fountain is the best, overall, out of everyboat, in every situation, for everyone, against everything, in every catagory, no matter what, fountain or nothing! LOL!
I never argued they might be the best out of the production boats, but there are many other things to consider. Price, looks, condition of used boat, etc. Depending on each persons situation.

Here in Michigan we sleep on our boats! The days are sunny, 80, and beautful looking down 30ft deep and seeing sand bottom, and the night cools off for great sleeping without the humidity. I understand everyone boats differently, just stating my opinion on how some of us boat. Almost every sport boat still have a cabin, v birth, etc. for a reason. Sorry you guys are missing out on the best part of boating! Everything is better on a boat, I mean everything;)