If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Member #154 Platinum Member Indy's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Missing my PowerPlay
    SW CT & Long Island Sound
    Make sure the engines will give you some life before they start to need rebuilds.

Buy engines that are made to perform the intended function. Engines that are made for a specific power range have issues if you start throwing performance upgrades at them. Nothing's worse than having your friends go out on a run and you gotta bum a ride or sit at home cutting the lawn because you don't have the $$ to fix the engines...reliability can't be overstated.
    Last edited by Indy; 02-17-2011 at 08:28 AM.

My Boats:
    2005 288 SUNSATION
    I wish I knew the economy was going to tank badly and kept my 23 Baja because it was paid for.. spending 100K doesn't seem like such a bright idea given what I know now.
    Last edited by Chris288; 02-17-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Crazy Energy Platinum Member Velocity Vector's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Old Skool 35' Ocean Express Cat 1700 HP
    Oklahoma God's country no one else wants it.
    First divorce the wife so she won't end up with half your boat
    The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

When you go to look at that used boat you want to purchase DON'T take a friend that will just encourage you to buy it. Take someone with a fair knowledge of boats and their costs. If such a friend can't be found for goodness sake DO take your wife. She will talk you out of anything that don't benefit her, or that she thinks will add to your coolness.

I wish I had a survey done darn.... transom But this is a great topic to read what others have gone thru and to know your not alone.

The big questions is? Does anyone plan on paying thier boat off and holding onto it for many years? That is the questions I ask my self.

My Boats:
    Here is my list:

1. Dont underestimate the cost of running and maintaining a go-fast boat (insurance, maintenance, fuel, marina fees, wrapping, winterization, etc)

2. Buy a boat you will be satisfied with 5-10 years from now (length, cost, power, twin vs single, cabin ammentities, performance, etc)

3. Gas goes quickly, very quickly...summer weekends on the water get expensive with the cost of fuel, food, drinks, etc. For me as a 24 year old I had to give up nights at the bar to compensate...for me i can blow through 300-400 easy a weekend.

4. Expect to be out of commision boat wise during the summer at some arent perfect so dont expect them to be...i.e. if the trim sensor is working then the temp guage isnt working, if the temp guage is working then the solenoid is broken, iif the solenoid is working then the nav lights dont work...its boating, something is always broken.

5. Expect to fix the boat yourself. Dont rely on friends or mechanics. No one wants to go boating more than yourself. So put in the wrench time.

Thats it for now..

VIP Member VIP Member drypipetiger's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2006 Nor-Tech 3600
    Lake Champlain, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain YARRR View Post
    So what do you wish you researched more or what do you wish you knew at that time?
    My next boat will have Merc power or power built by a marine builder. As opposed to engines built by a race car engine builder.

My Boats:
    28 Pantera
    Toronto Ontario
    I would have bought a CAT.

But then again I have enjoyed my V bottom single engine race boat. Learned alot.

The more you go fast the faster you will want to go.

My next boat will be a 32-36ft cat.

Platinum Member Platinum Member Here's Johnny's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Sonic 358 Diablo
    Manhasset, NY
    When I bought my 1st boat I wish someone told me not to bottom paint my speed DON'T BOTTOM PAINT YOUR BOAT !!

My Boats:
    34 Saber
    West Michigan
    I wish I had known how much better a 34' boat runs in rough water compared to a 25' boat.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast