Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating? >

Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?

Notices

Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Best one I've seen to date is the Nor-Tech 390 Open. Nice to have options.

http://www.nor-techboats.com/boats.php?id=5&type=cen
Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 AM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve

That's what we were thinking

Last edited by bill63; 03-31-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:39 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

T tops are a difficult component for a boat builder..... Not so difficult in the design, but difficult in the sales of the design...
These two pics are from our "Prototype" TE... The electronics area is actually negative... It hangs down a small amount, and has a "bubble" on the top to make up for the space.
The customers want the electronics in the T Top, but I didn't want to simply bolt a "box" to the underneath of the top like many builders do....
This top also has a bit of a wing on the back edge....to try to get off the surfboard look....
This top was well received at the show, therefore will be on the production boats.
The frame is being redesigned a bit....

I think the T Top is too large... However large appears to be what the buying mass wants... But, we have the ability to modify the tops at client request....

Originally Posted by Plumb_Gut_Phil
Nice boats, Tim, and best of luck with your new model.

What's happening with top design in the industry? The ones that are prevalent look like the platform for a non-existent marlin tower. They tend to give these boats a "me too" look despite all the different approaches to hull and deck design.

Since no one in their right mind is going to put a tower on most of these rigs one is free to design something that A: looks unique and b: manages wind better than a giant surfboard. Free speed and a look that sets you apart.

Just wondering what's happening in that arena.

Of course with consoles there has to be room for the 15" touch screen that combines radar, sonar, engine function, comm, engine trim, trim tab, fuel, water and a bunch of other data. The software is coming we can be sure; the hardware is already here.
Attached Thumbnails Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?-top-2.jpg   Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?-top-1.jpg  
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 03-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim G.
T tops are a difficult component for a boat builder..... Not so difficult in the design, but difficult in the sales of the design...
These two pics are from our "Prototype" TE... The electronics area is actually negative... It hangs down a small amount, and has a "bubble" on the top to make up for the space.
The customers want the electronics in the T Top, but I didn't want to simply bolt a "box" to the underneath of the top like many builders do....
This top also has a bit of a wing on the back edge....to try to get off the surfboard look....
This top was well received at the show, therefore will be on the production boats.
The frame is being redesigned a bit....

I think the T Top is too large... However large appears to be what the buying mass wants... But, we have the ability to modify the tops at client request....
Tim,

You seem to be straightforward and direct. Then help me out. T-tops are known to have considerable wind resistance. They are rigid and the angle cannot be adjusted. They have the effect of lowering the top speed and efficiency of boats, which some have said is as much as 5-6 mph or more depending on surface area. But of course they are highly desirable for the shade they provide and as an additional place to mount equipment. Is there any way that a rigid top could be designed to not have as much wind resistance and still look reasonably nice? Could they pivot? What about venting?

Thanks, Andy
Old 03-31-2011, 09:03 AM
NorTechNorth.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VtSteve

That one is coming to Canada!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Andy,
We are careful when we set the angle on the top to the boat... Typically the angle is set at 3 degrees...
The top in the pics is set just right... meaning that at speed, with correct boat trim (flat water) the top is running as flat as possible...
Angling the top up can bring air under and actually make lift, where down will force the boat down (mess with CG).
I too thought about an electric screw jack to adjust the top angle.... Does the operator need one more thing to trim??? Can the average operator deal with it? Not likely. Then I thought about an automated system that trys to level the top, but I just didn't see how the system could keep up in rougher/changing water....

Vents... They're likely to make noise, noise that the owner won't live with.... That and rain water will come through....

The windshield is as detrimental to top speed as the entire t top..... That's another headache there....

Originally Posted by On Time
Tim,

You seem to be straightforward and direct. Then help me out. T-tops are known to have considerable wind resistance. They are rigid and the angle cannot be adjusted. They have the effect of lowering the top speed and efficiency of boats, which some have said is as much as 5-6 mph or more depending on surface area. But of course they are highly desirable for the shade they provide and as an additional place to mount equipment. Is there any way that a rigid top could be designed to not have as much wind resistance and still look reasonably nice? Could they pivot? What about venting?

Thanks, Andy
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 03-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim G.
Andy,
We are careful when we set the angle on the top to the boat... Typically the angle is set at 3 degrees...
The top in the pics is set just right... meaning that at speed, with correct boat trim (flat water) the top is running as flat as possible...
Angling the top up can bring air under and actually make lift, where down will force the boat down (mess with CG).
I too thought about an electric screw jack to adjust the top angle.... Does the operator need one more thing to trim??? Can the average operator deal with it? Not likely. Then I thought about an automated system that trys to level the top, but I just didn't see how the system could keep up in rougher/changing water....

Vents... They're likely to make noise, noise that the owner won't live with.... That and rain water will come through....

The windshield is as detrimental to top speed as the entire t top..... That's another headache there....
Yes lots to think about. And the tilt mechanism could be complex but that is a cool idea. Vents could be made to open and close to keep rain out. But I guess the bottom line is most people dont' really care about that 5-6 mph? Does a canvas top have any less drag?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

We didn't loose any speed w/ our hardtop. Birdsall Marine and their engineers designed our hardtop. It has a ladder up the side so you can access the top which has non skid so you can hang out up there. We use the best vendors in the business - Fineline Interiors , Birdsall and Henley Custom Marine rigs our boats.
Attached Thumbnails Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?-41closeup.jpg  
Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
Yes lots to think about. And the tilt mechanism could be complex but that is a cool idea. Vents could be made to open and close to keep rain out. But I guess the bottom line is most people dont' really care about that 5-6 mph? Does a canvas top have any less drag?
Where most CC's are used, the T-top is far more valuable than a few MPH..

My silly bimini drags my boat about 2-3 mph, The cover flattens out in the wind and makes like a parachute. But when it rains, or you're sweating in the sun, it's there. It's nice to have the top end every now and again, but I's guess most boats spend very little time there.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Here's one sitting on the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?-1st41snap.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.