Like Tree0Likes

Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?

Reply
Old 03-31-2011, 10:03 AM
  #191
NorTechNorth.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser
 
Double R Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wherever We Need To Be
My Boats: Nor-tech, Outerlimits, Mercury Racing TEAM Engine Packages
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Best one I've seen to date is the Nor-Tech 390 Open. Nice to have options.

http://www.nor-techboats.com/boats.php?id=5&type=cen
That one is coming to Canada!
Double R Performance is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:09 AM
  #192
MTI / MTI-V
VIP Member
 
Tim G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
My Boats: Building boats for you
Posts: 1,760
Default

Andy,
We are careful when we set the angle on the top to the boat... Typically the angle is set at 3 degrees...
The top in the pics is set just right... meaning that at speed, with correct boat trim (flat water) the top is running as flat as possible...
Angling the top up can bring air under and actually make lift, where down will force the boat down (mess with CG).
I too thought about an electric screw jack to adjust the top angle.... Does the operator need one more thing to trim??? Can the average operator deal with it? Not likely. Then I thought about an automated system that trys to level the top, but I just didn't see how the system could keep up in rougher/changing water....

Vents... They're likely to make noise, noise that the owner won't live with.... That and rain water will come through....

The windshield is as detrimental to top speed as the entire t top..... That's another headache there....


Quote:
Originally Posted by On Time View Post
Tim,

You seem to be straightforward and direct. Then help me out. T-tops are known to have considerable wind resistance. They are rigid and the angle cannot be adjusted. They have the effect of lowering the top speed and efficiency of boats, which some have said is as much as 5-6 mph or more depending on surface area. But of course they are highly desirable for the shade they provide and as an additional place to mount equipment. Is there any way that a rigid top could be designed to not have as much wind resistance and still look reasonably nice? Could they pivot? What about venting?

Thanks, Andy
__________________
Tim Gallagher
MTI / MTI-V
Sales and Marketing Manager
[email protected]
(314)803-8842
Tim G. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM
  #193
Registered
 
On Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Houston
My Boats: 2005 42 Fountain, 1998 Marlago 35 FS, 2007 Sea Ray 230 Fission
Posts: 3,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim G. View Post
Andy,
We are careful when we set the angle on the top to the boat... Typically the angle is set at 3 degrees...
The top in the pics is set just right... meaning that at speed, with correct boat trim (flat water) the top is running as flat as possible...
Angling the top up can bring air under and actually make lift, where down will force the boat down (mess with CG).
I too thought about an electric screw jack to adjust the top angle.... Does the operator need one more thing to trim??? Can the average operator deal with it? Not likely. Then I thought about an automated system that trys to level the top, but I just didn't see how the system could keep up in rougher/changing water....

Vents... They're likely to make noise, noise that the owner won't live with.... That and rain water will come through....

The windshield is as detrimental to top speed as the entire t top..... That's another headache there....
Yes lots to think about. And the tilt mechanism could be complex but that is a cool idea. Vents could be made to open and close to keep rain out. But I guess the bottom line is most people dont' really care about that 5-6 mph? Does a canvas top have any less drag?
On Time is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:32 AM
  #194
Registered
Platinum Member
 
THEJOKER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lake Lanier - N. Georgia
My Boats: Being a great husband and dad , boats , golf
Posts: 6,307
Default

We didn't loose any speed w/ our hardtop. Birdsall Marine and their engineers designed our hardtop. It has a ladder up the side so you can access the top which has non skid so you can hang out up there. We use the best vendors in the business - Fineline Interiors , Birdsall and Henley Custom Marine rigs our boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?-41closeup.jpg  
THEJOKER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:52 AM
  #195
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Time View Post
Yes lots to think about. And the tilt mechanism could be complex but that is a cool idea. Vents could be made to open and close to keep rain out. But I guess the bottom line is most people dont' really care about that 5-6 mph? Does a canvas top have any less drag?
Where most CC's are used, the T-top is far more valuable than a few MPH..

My silly bimini drags my boat about 2-3 mph, The cover flattens out in the wind and makes like a parachute. But when it rains, or you're sweating in the sun, it's there. It's nice to have the top end every now and again, but I's guess most boats spend very little time there.
VtSteve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:58 AM
  #196
Registered
Platinum Member
 
THEJOKER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lake Lanier - N. Georgia
My Boats: Being a great husband and dad , boats , golf
Posts: 6,307
Default

Here's one sitting on the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?-1st41snap.jpg  
THEJOKER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 PM
  #197
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEJOKER View Post
Here is a picture from The Miami Boat Show of the 41 Epic.
Sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim G. View Post
What style do most of you prefer??? Narrower, long, and low with a small console..... or wider with a larger top and on board comforts???
We are in final stages of wrapping up the tooling on our 39...
The hull and deck are done. We are finalizing the console and helm seat for the Open version.... What you see here is NOT the final T top and console design.....
I have been deeply involved in the design, but the final shapes and making it all come together are being done by some very strong names in the design world....
Look'in good so far
Quicksilver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:31 PM
  #198
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member
 
SHARKEY-IMAGES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Sharkey-Images.com
Posts: 19,673
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I have a five and a three year old and my cat just wasn't practical to go out and hang out on with my kids.
At least you still have a boat Chuck.
I have two daughters as well and converted by 28 hole in the water to a 36 in the ground.... I still have a dock too !

I can't say I regret it though. The whole family gets more use out of this then my smokey Mercury Racing OB's !

__________________
www.TimSharkey.com/

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
SHARKEY-IMAGES is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:35 PM
  #199
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
My Boats: None, but paid for one! Beware of Frisini / Sonic / Arrow Powerboats
Posts: 2,910
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
At least you still have a boat Chuck.
I have two daughters as well and converted by 28 hole in the water to a 36 in the ground.... I still have a dock too !

I can't say I regret it though. The whole family gets more use out of this then my smokey Mercury Racing OB's !

Looks real nice Tim
Chuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:40 PM
  #200
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member
 
SHARKEY-IMAGES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Sharkey-Images.com
Posts: 19,673
Default

Thanks Chuck.
The wife and kids really enjoy the pool while I get to maintain my two ponds and a stream at the sound of two waterfalls....
My wife was so against the ponds, but it was something I personally wanted to build and enjoy every minute of it...

Other pics of it:
http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/2pondsandstream

__________________
www.TimSharkey.com/

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 03-31-2011 at 07:42 PM.
SHARKEY-IMAGES is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.