Notices

Night vision

Old 05-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 1,332 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
i dont know. Just giving you my experiences with it, alot of people have this idea that its like the movies. Night vision is grainy and you can only see really good maybe out to 100m tops. Im not going against or for this product or any product, and it could and might be a useful tool. But in IMO for two grand I dont ride at night and it doesnt make sense but it might for you
I understand but I can tell you if you get caught out at night and have a good distance to go anything helps better then running blind. Idle is not a option sometimes.
Expensive yea, there are others out there and I am just thinking at this point. I like to look at all options. I never thought they would allow me to see longer distance, but that doesn't mean some people might not.

Low lux cameras have been around for a while. They work ok under certain conditions and do have some pitfalls. If you are in a changing light situation the IRIS of the camera will adjust. I have a true Thermal camera on my Skater. For me I do want to have to climb out on the bow, have a cable across the deck or forget to bring on the day I end up needing it. Just depends on your needs and budget.
What got me thinking about this type over a thermal was a local FL show I was watching this spring that compared the two. The low Lux seemed to have more of a 3d image, but the thermo would show everything. Of course the fishing boat they were using to test had both, and radar.

Looked like the electronics cost more then the boat!
I take it you decide thermo was better?
Isn't the cost on the thermo even more?

You know as for cost, all of us here read every year about someone killing themselves and others running at night, a few grand don't seem like much then does it?

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 05-23-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 1,332 Likes on 743 Posts

BTW double

Nice set up.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 736 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I understand but I can tell you if you get caught out at night and have a good distance to go anything helps better then running blind. Idle is not a option sometimes.
Expensive yea, there are others out there and I am just thinking at this point. I like to look at all options. I never thought they would allow me to see longer distance, but that doesn't mean some people might not.

What got me thinking about this type over a thermal was a local FL show I was watching this spring that compared the two. The low Lux seemed to have more of a 3d image, but the thermo would show everything.
I think the thermos cost a lot more right?

You know as for cost, all of us here read every year about someone killing themselves and others running at night, a few grand don't seem like much then does it?
Like the other guy said" It's not like the movies " A couple grand is entry level for this type equipment.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree. I use my boat a lot and return home at night somtimes. I do not run fast at night however being able to head home at more than idle speed is nice. I have used both types of camera and they are both helpful. For me in addition to seeing other boats my camera will pickup boards, coconuts, see lobster pods etc. For a few more grand it can save serious prop damage as well as lives.
We all know how much aggravation it is once you ding that favorite set of props!
They are never the same.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix

What got me thinking about this type over a thermal was a local FL show I was watching this spring that compared the two. The low Lux seemed to have more of a 3d image, but the thermo would show everything. Of course the fishing boat they were using to test had both, and radar.

Looked like the electronics cost more then the boat!
Isn't the cost on the thermo even more?

before you buy i would suggest checking some out, somehow. I will tell you this the military is usually 25 years ahead of whats out for law enforcement and the public. So What I just used in the Army a year is going to be ahead of what you can buy specially at a 2 grand price tag. I would suggest thermal, because that way you can see everything and wont miss it, because with night vision on a low illum night you could miss another small boat until you got right up on you. This is definitely a nice tool to have a in the tool bag if you run a lot at night and could potentially save your boat or your life. But with that said you shouldnt be flying at night and if you are out at night you should probably have a good knowledge of the water and a chart plotter
Old 05-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 736 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
before you buy i would suggest checking some out, somehow. I will tell you this the military is usually 25 years ahead of whats out for law enforcement and the public. So What I just used in the Army a year is going to be ahead of what you can buy specially at a 2 grand price tag. I would suggest thermal, because that way you can see everything and wont miss it, because with night vision on a low illum night you could miss another small boat until you got right up on you. This is definitely a nice tool to have a in the tool bag if you run a lot at night and could potentially save your boat or your life. But with that said you shouldnt be flying at night and if you are out at night you should probably have a good knowledge of the water and a chart plotter
He also needs to get a lot of seat time using a TIS.