Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How sweet it is or isn't, LOL!!! >

How sweet it is or isn't, LOL!!!

Notices

How sweet it is or isn't, LOL!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How sweet it is or isn't, LOL!!!

Well people yesterday was my big day, delivery and her maiden voyage.
Things got off to a great start when I saw the big rig there with my boat shrinkwrapped. I've certainly got to thank John and his hands over at Independant Marine in Moultonborough, NH they're a top notch bunch who performed everything I contracted them to do for me flawlessly. He had the tightest and most heavy duty plastic shrink wrapped boat I'd ever seen. And also OSO member pat@osp who delivered her to me 2000 miles away on the third day.
As with any first time used boat buyer it only went down hill from there. We plopped her in the drink and the port side drive pump just clicked when I went to trim down the drives.
I can't believe I was able to get myself all the way down into that little rat hole in front of the motors to get to the pumps. Boat mechanics must be smaller men than me. My bud held a pice of 12 gauge building wire to the hot side of the battery and I jumped across the solonoid to lower the drives to a neutral position (5 out of 9) Of course it always happens like this, they performed for the surveyor, the seatrial, and the loading of the boat, just not for me upon deilvery. Im sure it's a bad connection somewhere because the inline fuse and the fusible link wire were ok.
We put out easy since I couldn't lower my drives and pointed over to a friends house on the water. Knowing our lake is a couple of feet down I get him on the cell phone to bring me in the dredged channel by the homeowners docks. Circling in following his explicit "more to your left and more to your right" directions he runs me right into a sand bar where we promptly got stuck like Chuck, LOL!!! An hour later with my son and my bud behind the boat lifting and my other friends wakeboard boat pulling a line off the bow we got her out.
Thank God that was the end of the problems we thought because we were able to burn about a 100 gallons of premium at all different speeds with me at the helm just getting a feel for how she behaves.
I saw 67 on a hand held GPS at 5000rpm just playing with higher tab positions and unable to trim the drives, my seatrial delivered low 70's for the surveyor.
On our way in we get stopped by the game wardens for the good old fashioned shake down. Having an out of state boat and USCG registry but not having my paperwork with me since we took my sons truck to meet the driver offered them a great opportunity to board and search. He was decent and even remarked how he was proud that we had no alchohol on board because he'd watched us blast here and there at 80 plus. I showed him the hand held and told him this was our highest speed of the day due to fixed drive heights, and he was like "I guess the profile from the side passing at speed made it look faster than it was really going." With a warning and a handshake he sent us on our way to go park the boat.

I can tell you right now that this is going to be some fun. She'll be fast enough to be respectable in boats of higher company and spacious enough to weekend on comfortably. All I've got to do now is deal with the friggin baby blisters. They're not bad in size, just in quantity, hundreds of baby blisters the size of pencil erasers which my go fast bud says will slow me down several mph. I'm hoping that with the repairs I might see mid 70's.

Thanks again to all you guys and girls for y'alls assistance for months and months on end.
These site ROCKS!!!

See ya,
Kelly
Old 05-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Happy to hear about your ride ... what is it exactly that you have purchased? If the info was in another thread, I apologize - but I'm curious what you bought...
Old 05-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BlackJack58
Happy to hear about your ride ... what is it exactly that you have purchased? If the info was in another thread, I apologize - but I'm curious what you bought...
Here's a link to when I was asking about the boat.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...know-boat.html

Here's one to the problems
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...questions.html

Here's one to the problems solved
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...t-dumbass.html

And finally the closing of the deal
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ined-club.html

See ya,
Kelly
Old 05-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Registered

Have you checked the blower oil.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Registered

I was thinking it was the How Sweet It Is Skater until I saw the speeds! LOL
Old 05-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats, Kelly! Hope you enjoy it!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

All in all, I'd say that's a nice purchase for the money - always did like the extra bolster setup. I remember your first thread now...it's just been a while since I'd seen it. I'm sure you will enjoy it ... just go have fun.

This was not your first boat, right?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BlackJack58
All in all, I'd say that's a nice purchase for the money - always did like the extra bolster setup. I remember your first thread now...it's just been a while since I'd seen it. I'm sure you will enjoy it ... just go have fun.

This was not your first boat, right?
No, we've enjoyed a couple of play boats for tubing, skiing, and wakeboarding when the kids were younger but its been at least 7 years since I sold the last boat and bought all the jet skis. It just worked out better to have more boats so they could play together and not fight over who's driving and we can still pull behind the big ones. I actually love my sons and my GPR1300's, they're wicked fast but dangerous at speeds of 50 plus in anything except smooth water.
Trust me on this, at yesterdays lake in the open body of water you'd have been bucked off like a bullrider at the rodeo with any speed over 50.
I never dreamed that I'd be able to pick up a big boat that would run well into the 70's for my boat purchase budget.

See ya,
Kelly