Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bonnier Acquires Powerboat—Powerboat Shelved >

Bonnier Acquires Powerboat—Powerboat Shelved

Notices

Bonnier Acquires Powerboat—Powerboat Shelved

Old 05-25-2011, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Maybe they will bring it back when it can be done properly with an issue every month. The writing was on the wall. My subscription expired with perfect timing. I was tired of subsidizing them and seeing no effort of them getting back on track. I got the final issue and this notice in the mail. ( Powerboat has expired, sunk, dead in the water) They were right. Glad I didn't renew. I already get Boating and I like it.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

It's almost like PBM decline began once Fountain reduced their ad space.
ed
Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry Sad Day

TanK:
A sad day indeed for the performance boating industry!
I could not have said it better than your thread!
PBM- RIP!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Lets think about this in a different light for a moment... Our industry has taken a huge hit in the last 2+ years.

It was only a few months ago that people were bashing the magazine, stating how it was going down hill and they were not going to renew, support etc... Well guess what? It worked, they are now going away for good.

What I think many need to do is some real sole searching... Do we want our sport to disappear all together or do we want to start supporting who is left and who is trying to make an effort to move forward?

We need enthusiasm to get things moving forward. We need to start looking back at the good times, learn from the rough times.

I think it is time to rally the troops, Anyone with me?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 216 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
What year was the 1st issue?
There were a couple of magazines called "West Coast Boating News and Hot Boat" back in the late 1950's and early 1960's. They covered most of the hot boat scene back then which was some offshore racing, drag racing and a lot of marathon or endurance racing, Salton Sea 500 etc, which was very popular especially on the West coast.

West Coast Boatng News had a feature article on Aronow winning the Miami Nassau Race with his new 28 foot Donzi 007 in 1965, so it had to be later than that.

Those magazines either formed the base for Powerboat or went under right around the same time that Powerboat came out. Bob Nordskog had the resources to underwrite the new magazine, from his airline galley business and the magazine went on to grow with early advertisers.

Sorry to see it go. I would like to have all my subscription dollars back from the many years I enjoyed this magazine.

Good luck to the staff, writers, photographers and especially the test team of Dave and Johnny, you all did a great job.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Read the original post! It's NOT dead. It's on hold. Subscribers were dropping Powerboat like a hot potato with their six thin issues per year for $20. The new owners just said that they won't continue that path. A good business decision IMO. I would bet that you will either see a lot more performance boat content in "Boating" or Powerboat will return after a short hiatus.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That does it! I am starting a new magazine, called "Boats and T*ts". Free subscription. Just send your best girls around for me to photograph, and I will leave blank pages in the mag, where you can paste your own boat pix.

Last edited by BROWNIE; 05-25-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 554 Likes on 263 Posts

News from Trade Only...
http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/514039-publisher-buys-trailer-boats-and-powerboat-titles
Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Nah, the "rumor reporting"—two words that should not be used in the same sentence—was still rumor reporting. It offered no detail. It was a headline and two sentences that indicated not a single phone call had been made to either Affinity or Bonnier.

That it happened to be correct didn't absolve the author of actually doing his job and at least trying to check the facts.

Enough said about that one, at least from my end.
Comment:

Well first off I call bull**** on your statement that no phone calls were made to their offices and certain personnel. You don't know that for certain and I know that phone calls were made.

It seems the only rumor is your post above. Don't be so quick to pull the trigger because you certainly don't know the facts. Nor, did you bother to check before you wrote the above about Performance Boats.

You might want to take a dose of your own advice...perhaps you should have called Chris at Performance Boats and discussed the issue. I can say that you did not make any phone calls to follow up on your statements. How do I know this because I did make phone calls....hmmm does...double standard.... ring a bell.

Enough said about that one from my end.

I am really saddenned by the closure of Powerboat Magazine as long time subscriber and performance boating fan. I know several members of the staff at Powerboat Magazine and they were all advocates for the powerboater our community and lifestyle.

The manner and protocol of my friend Jason J. and his departure is typical of the corporate world and does not come as a surprise to me. I have seen friends with 20+ years at firms given the axe without so much as a courtesy notice.

Jason you did a phenomenol job at the helm and you can definitely hold your head high.

You always have a spot on our boat...and we are kid friendly see you soon God Bless!

KAP
Old 05-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant wait for my first issue of Waterski.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.