Bonnier Acquires Powerboat—Powerboat Shelved >

Bonnier Acquires Powerboat—Powerboat Shelved

Notices

Bonnier Acquires Powerboat—Powerboat Shelved

Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Another one bites the dust. I guess I've have to take the wireless laptop to bathroom now for boat readings.....
+1
Old 05-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Registered

Default Thats Phucked

Have a paid up subscription till 2013...... oh well another hundred buck flushed down the drain......
Old 05-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

A few days ago I posted about how Boating Magazine sold their soul for thirty pieces of silver---- and then deleted it thinking it was too harsh !!!!!! But not any more ---- so I will post again about the same thing again for the enlightened people on this web site!!
Here Goes ......The same people that purchased our magazine published this on page 14 of this months issue of boating::
Ethanol can cause --1.Carbs and fuel filters to become clogged with residual deposits 2.water contamination of fuel tanks 3. Fiberglass tanks to dissolve 4. significant damage to the motor. This is all from the captain's test that is published every month.
Then in the same magazine on page 47 there is a half page Add from The Renewable Fuels Association telling everyone how great Ethanol is and we should use it.
Is there something wrong with this picture or has someone sold their soul for 30 pieces of silver...........????
I got angry about it and called the Editor two times and No One bothered to call back.......You cant make this crap up and its there for everyone to look at..

Jim
Old 05-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Darn....I really hate this. It is an information source that can't be replaced. Guess I'll send Jayboat my subscription money this year since he is the best source for photography that is almost like being there.
I saved every issue of Powerboat and refer back to them for the tech articles.
It will be missed. I plan on renewing my Poker Runs America,
Old 05-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

The death of an icon

I’ve been friends with the Powerboat staff for many years (3 Editors and two parent companies). I started blogging for Powerboat because I’m a fan of the magazine, for what it had done for the industry, the heritage, the prestige and the respect it had earned through it’s 40+ years of existence. The sale from Nordskog publishing (Jerry son of founder Bob) was near the peak of PBM’s capital growth. The magazine was making very good money (as was the marine industry as a whole). The sale at the time to Affinity came with apprehension but hopes of a constructive future with growth and new challenges and energy. Affinity moved the offices from Ventura Harbor to a building overlooking the Pacific Ocean, still located in Ventura. The “corporate entity” took some adjustment and growing pains for the staff to mold too, however they did. Things were pretty good….then a culmination of tragic things happened - specifically the death of Tom Newby, the lawsuits that followed and the rapidly declining economy. These things changed things for the worse for PBM (as it did for many others).

As the economy continued to decline and the marine industry took a substantial hit – as we’ve all seen – PBM was forced to make drastic cutbacks. Now, when I say “PBM”, I really mean affinity – the corporation behind the name. Affinity, in their infinite wisdom cut the magazine back to 6 issues a year, stopped producing the magazine in the ever classy “perfectly bound spine”, reduced pages and reduced the over-all (actual) size of the magazine. Then, surprisingly Affinity calls Greg Mansfield (well respected and liked, long time editor) to let him know he’s fired and to pack his office. Greg says he saw the writing on the wall due to budget slumps but the way it was handled wasn’t really cool. These decisions were not met with open arms by the PBM staff but they were swallowed with the thought that the show will go on if they sacrifice.

Out-cry began to be felt. Major names in the industry who were long time advertisers pulled advertising because (I assume, and some directly told me) the bang for the buck wasn’t there and they weren’t happy with the changes. Readers voiced likewise complaints.

As vicious cycles routinely play out, the cut backs affinity made had negative repercussions - those repercussions caused loss of revenue and the drain began circling. However, things could have been remedied if those in charge would have had a clue about the true industry. If they were out there at poker runs, races, dealers, builders, shops, etc…..Listen to those in the industry, the readers and most importantly those at the magazine! Bring back more issues for starters. But being a big corporation, all they cared about was the fact, PBM wasn’t making them the big dollars they were a couple years ago, thus they turned their backs on the magazine and let it slowly die.

Those at the magazine (including me) did everything possible to try to improve the bottom dollar, and bring back advertisers. I reached out to countless advertisers pleading that I would cut the advertising in half to start with if they’d come back. The numbers hadn’t been adjusted since the “big dollar days” and to me, things had to change. I was under the impression: I’d rather see more advertisers getting their product seen and displayed at a reduced rate than only a few in the magazine at inflated rates. I was also under the impression advertising is extremely important to a company and while online advertising is great, I don’t believe (as a consumer and a performance boating enthusiast) it should replace the “in your face”, yet classy aspect of being in a magazine. What did I get for my efforts…”We don’t do business that way…” from the suits above. Really? Because you’re running the f*cking business (a magazine I happen to love) into the ground you greedy f*cks!

When the rumors started (and that’s all they were even for PBM employees that were told NOTHING but tid-bits), those at PBM were again apprehensive at the thought of a new owner but again, the thought of new prospects to make the magazine better and bringing in fresh blood (owners) that could breathe new life into the magazine and actually listen to the employees, readers and advertisers, on how to make the magazine successful again kept most optimistic and hopeful.

Then last week, Affinity does it again. They called Editor Jason Johnson (JaJo on here) into the office and let him know he’s fired. No heads up…Just, pack your sh!t. Nice!

When they fired Jason, I text test drivers Johnny Tomlinson and Bob Teague….Again, the respectful corporation of Affinity were so grateful to all that these two men had done that they called and let them know what was going on this many times……ZERO! Matter of fact, JT heard the magazine was for sale and Jason was fired from me, right then! Teague, who’d been with the magazine since the Bob Nordskog days and - like it or not has bent over backwards and put his blood sweat and tears into this magazine -never got one single call from either the prospective buyer (now we know why) or the seller. Way to treat your people!!!

Now, for those of you that are pissy about losing 20 dollars in subscriptions or even 100 bucks...I say yes, I understand your frustration. However, don’t take it out on anyone associated with Powerboat. They were in the same “boat” as you. The great minds at the corporations were moving and plotting behind the backs of all those that actually worked for the magazine. While the deal was rumored up to a month ago, details were never revealed. And I guarantee NO ONE knew they were shelving the mag., except maybe Jim Hendrix and those at the new company. While you may be upset over your 20-100 bucks, try to be sensitive to those that just got the boot!

I relish the limited time I was able to work alongside the amazing people at Powerboat….Jason Johson (Editor), Ryan Johnson (sales mgr), Jennifer Hirsh (production mgr), Rick Jimenez (art director), Matt Trulio (writer), and test drivers Johnny Tomlinson and Bob Teague. Great team, great people, wonderful experience.

In the end, the loss of PBM is a tragedy to this industry. It is a blatant slap in the face of what this economy has done. It is sad, unfortunate and a shame that those in charge only put their greedy paws out and took the dollars in the fat years and did not bother to put a little bit back in during the lean years to ensure survival. It’s upsetting and regrettable that those in charge had absolutely no clue and were completely out of touch with this industry and it’s disgraceful that the new company did not honor the superior reputation, awe inspiring heritage and unforeseen future prospects of this magazine.

I enjoyed my time writing for PBM’s web site as well and for any of you that care, I’ll continue to cover events and spew my diatribe in editorials over on riverdavesplace.com (as well as here).

Maybe someone will buy the Powerboat name someday and bring it back…until then we’ve just been relinquished of yet another venue to obtain a fix of this sport, lifestyle, hobby, career, life, that we all love so much.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Well, it was a long run.. It sad to see it end.. I still have almost every issue dating back to the early 70's... Thanks Dad!
Jr.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
“Bonnier has said it will not publish Powerboat or Trailer Boats with their current existing frequency. They’re looking toward special issues and initiatives for those brands going forward."

What does that mean exactly?? Terrible news.

Is Performance Boats magazine still publishing? I haven't received an issue from them in a long time.
YES Sir, Performance Boats Magazine is alive and well!!
I think the last issue was pretty good. I love Poker Run coverage and it had pretty good articles on engine building.

I get 6 months (every other month) of the paper magazine and 6 months of online magazine. You also have your choice of the "Lake or Offshore" versions depending on where you do your boating.

I would say they are the ONLY ones left that are really into performance.

Hopefully we can switch most of the Powerboat subscribers that didn't get Performance Boat switched over to keep it growing.

I also know that Books-A-Million carries it here in Pensacola Beach, FL. Barnes & Nobles does not for some weird reason.

1-888-577-BOAT for $14.00

6 Print & 6 Online
Old 05-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Another one bites the dust. I guess I've have to take the wireless laptop to bathroom now for boat readings.....
get a 10" android tablet. easier to walk around house with.....
Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it sucks I paid for a 1yr sub and only got 2 issues. But what really pisses me off is the fact that they just sent me a special 2yr renewal deal in the mail. a sale like this doesn't just happen overnight. So the appears to have been a plan in place to get more renewals before they shut it down. The snake to honest person ratio in this industry is absolutely ridiculous!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for your post, Tank - your frustrations are clearly evident, and just reading that will probably make a lot of people feel a little better, knowing those frustrations and disappointments are shared by people inside and outside of Powerboat.

I think you paint a picture of what went down that makes sense in the light of the current economy, and typical corporate attitudes about "how things should be done."

In terms of media, who knows how things will eventually shake out? But they will, eventually. This sport/hobby is too compelling to just fade away. It'll be back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.