What would Don Aronow do today? >

What would Don Aronow do today?

Notices

What would Don Aronow do today?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Now Charlie this must be a Cig 39 Squadron..aka Squadron XII 12m?

Cigarette Mistress...35 feet..... with no other than the infamous Bing Goode doing the test run.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Thanks for all the great feedback. Michael was saying that his dad always used the same "Formula" with his boat companies.

He would find the very best minds and hands in the industry and bring them together, into one focused project. Usually it was the design and build of the best offshore race boat of it's day.

Next he would race it in the toughest offshore races in the world.....and usually win.

Next step, would be to bring it to the public. To actually make available to everyone, what only the best racers in the world could get before.

As we all know, the public appreciated it and bought those boats by the dozens. The nice thing about Don's boats, most of them anyway, is they were then and still are, revered today.

Hi Charlie,

THANKS for the 24 Pics!! Got any more?? As you know they are few and far between.

BTW, that one looks REALLY familiar, is it yellow (hull sides) with a "pale yellow" deck?

First pic I have seen of a 24 that has the deck hardware installed exactly like mine...and if it is yellow the colors look the same too...hmmmm.

Would love to see more of this one if you have any, but any 24 pics would help with my resto project.

Thanks again,

Dave

Last edited by 78CIG24; 09-28-2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: added Factory Lit
Old 09-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,235 Posts

With all due respect to perhaps the most influential person in this history of high-performance powerboats, he would be fighting to stay alive in this economy like every other go-fast boat builder.

That said, I'm relatively certain he would survive the purge.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
With all due respect to perhaps the most influential person in this history of high-performance powerboats, he would be fighting to stay alive in this economy like every other go-fast boat builder.

That said, I'm relatively certain he would survive the purge.
You are right Matt. Whe the first gasoline crunch hit, back in the 70's, everyone backed off buying anything that would burn a lot of gas.

Don was running Cigarette then and he called in all the workers in and said...."No layoffs, we will keep building boats and when they are done we will park them in the yard. When this passes as it will, people will be coming back and buying again. So, no overtime, but no layoffs for anyone."
Old 09-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
Hi Charlie,

THANKS for the 24 Pics!! Got any more?? As you know they are few and far between.

BTW, that one looks REALLY familiar, is it yellow (hull sides) with a "pale yellow" deck?

First pic I have seen of a 24 that has the deck hardware installed exactly like mine...and if it is yellow the colors look the same too...hmmmm.

Would love to see more of this one if you have any, but any 24 pics would help with my resto project.

Thanks again,

Dave

Sorry Dave, that is all I have of 24 photos!!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Sorry Dave, that is all I have of 24 photos!!
No problem Charlie, I am very appreciative of the one you posted!

It actually helped me a lot. That one must have been made around same time as mine, and it could even be mine from some of the small details I see.

From what few photos I have seen they all seem to be a little different as far as deck hardware etc, understandable since there are so few across a bunch of years.

I have a growing collection of original 24 pics...about 10 so far...Ha, Ha!!

Thanks again for adding to my collection!

Cheers,

Dave
Old 09-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

I think he'd be anywhere he felt the money was.....steps? he'd be all over them, short course racing? will the cash registers ring?......I mean this guy built boats for known criminals then built some for the cops.....wouldnt say no to anyone with $$$.....cats became popular, so he cheeped out and simply cut his vee bottom in half to make a buck and capitalize on a trend....creating then selling company after company....it was all about $$$
Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
I think he'd be anywhere he felt the money was.....steps? he'd be all over them, short course racing? will the cash registers ring?......I mean this guy built boats for known criminals then built some for the cops.....wouldnt say no to anyone with $$$.....cats became popular, so he cheeped out and simply cut his vee bottom in half to make a buck and capitalize on a trend....creating then selling company after company....it was all about $$$
While his business ventures were almost always profitable, I don't think money was the reason Don got into boats. He already had amassed his fortune in construction. Boats were just a hobby that later grew into an industry. For Don, the art of the deal was just another form of recreation.

He certainly had a knack for assembling the right team of talented individuals to make things happen.

I have an awful soft spot for those old Mistresses.

Always envisioned one stretched to 40 feet and covered in teak.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

I cant believe Rich T2X has no comment on this......
Old 10-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i think he would kill ben krameer dont you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.