Like Tree3Likes

What would Don Aronow do today?

Reply
Old 09-28-2011, 10:04 AM
  #51
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Top Banana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Rhode Island summer, Florida winter
My Boats: 1974 35 Cigarette BENIHANA, 1976 24 Banana Boat.
Posts: 3,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
Now Charlie this must be a Cig 39 Squadron..aka Squadron XII 12m?

Cigarette Mistress...35 feet..... with no other than the infamous Bing Goode doing the test run.
Top Banana is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:23 AM
  #52
Registered
Trade Score: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Port Richey, Florida
My Boats: 1978 Cigarette 24 - APBA A-46 "Lap Dancer", 1989 Scarab Excel 28
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
Thanks for all the great feedback. Michael was saying that his dad always used the same "Formula" with his boat companies.

He would find the very best minds and hands in the industry and bring them together, into one focused project. Usually it was the design and build of the best offshore race boat of it's day.

Next he would race it in the toughest offshore races in the world.....and usually win.

Next step, would be to bring it to the public. To actually make available to everyone, what only the best racers in the world could get before.

As we all know, the public appreciated it and bought those boats by the dozens. The nice thing about Don's boats, most of them anyway, is they were then and still are, revered today.


Hi Charlie,

THANKS for the 24 Pics!! Got any more?? As you know they are few and far between.

BTW, that one looks REALLY familiar, is it yellow (hull sides) with a "pale yellow" deck?

First pic I have seen of a 24 that has the deck hardware installed exactly like mine...and if it is yellow the colors look the same too...hmmmm.

Would love to see more of this one if you have any, but any 24 pics would help with my resto project.

Thanks again,

Dave






Last edited by 78CIG24; 09-28-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added Factory Lit
78CIG24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:40 AM
  #53
Correspondent
Correspondent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,355
Default

With all due respect to perhaps the most influential person in this history of high-performance powerboats, he would be fighting to stay alive in this economy like every other go-fast boat builder.

That said, I'm relatively certain he would survive the purge.
Matt Trulio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM
  #54
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Top Banana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Rhode Island summer, Florida winter
My Boats: 1974 35 Cigarette BENIHANA, 1976 24 Banana Boat.
Posts: 3,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
With all due respect to perhaps the most influential person in this history of high-performance powerboats, he would be fighting to stay alive in this economy like every other go-fast boat builder.

That said, I'm relatively certain he would survive the purge.
You are right Matt. Whe the first gasoline crunch hit, back in the 70's, everyone backed off buying anything that would burn a lot of gas.

Don was running Cigarette then and he called in all the workers in and said...."No layoffs, we will keep building boats and when they are done we will park them in the yard. When this passes as it will, people will be coming back and buying again. So, no overtime, but no layoffs for anyone."
Top Banana is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:57 PM
  #55
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Top Banana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Rhode Island summer, Florida winter
My Boats: 1974 35 Cigarette BENIHANA, 1976 24 Banana Boat.
Posts: 3,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78CIG24 View Post
Hi Charlie,

THANKS for the 24 Pics!! Got any more?? As you know they are few and far between.

BTW, that one looks REALLY familiar, is it yellow (hull sides) with a "pale yellow" deck?

First pic I have seen of a 24 that has the deck hardware installed exactly like mine...and if it is yellow the colors look the same too...hmmmm.

Would love to see more of this one if you have any, but any 24 pics would help with my resto project.

Thanks again,

Dave







Sorry Dave, that is all I have of 24 photos!!
Top Banana is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:43 PM
  #56
Registered
Trade Score: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Port Richey, Florida
My Boats: 1978 Cigarette 24 - APBA A-46 "Lap Dancer", 1989 Scarab Excel 28
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
Sorry Dave, that is all I have of 24 photos!!
No problem Charlie, I am very appreciative of the one you posted!

It actually helped me a lot. That one must have been made around same time as mine, and it could even be mine from some of the small details I see.

From what few photos I have seen they all seem to be a little different as far as deck hardware etc, understandable since there are so few across a bunch of years.

I have a growing collection of original 24 pics...about 10 so far...Ha, Ha!!

Thanks again for adding to my collection!

Cheers,

Dave
78CIG24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:49 PM
  #57
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: oshawa ontario
My Boats: 31 Scarab Thunder
Posts: 4,699
Default

I think he'd be anywhere he felt the money was.....steps? he'd be all over them, short course racing? will the cash registers ring?......I mean this guy built boats for known criminals then built some for the cops.....wouldnt say no to anyone with $$$.....cats became popular, so he cheeped out and simply cut his vee bottom in half to make a buck and capitalize on a trend....creating then selling company after company....it was all about $$$
pullmytrigger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:54 AM
  #58
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
My Boats: '83 Sea Ray SRV-260 DA
Posts: 141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmytrigger View Post
I think he'd be anywhere he felt the money was.....steps? he'd be all over them, short course racing? will the cash registers ring?......I mean this guy built boats for known criminals then built some for the cops.....wouldnt say no to anyone with $$$.....cats became popular, so he cheeped out and simply cut his vee bottom in half to make a buck and capitalize on a trend....creating then selling company after company....it was all about $$$
While his business ventures were almost always profitable, I don't think money was the reason Don got into boats. He already had amassed his fortune in construction. Boats were just a hobby that later grew into an industry. For Don, the art of the deal was just another form of recreation.

He certainly had a knack for assembling the right team of talented individuals to make things happen.

I have an awful soft spot for those old Mistresses.

Always envisioned one stretched to 40 feet and covered in teak.
JP-8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:19 PM
  #59
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: oshawa ontario
My Boats: 31 Scarab Thunder
Posts: 4,699
Default

I cant believe Rich T2X has no comment on this......
pullmytrigger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:26 PM
  #60
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
JIMKID Motorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Livonia Mi Usa
My Boats: 2009 30 LS7 SKATER 711 sold xvi power
Posts: 1,913
Default

i think he would kill ben krameer dont you
__________________
30 SKATER LS7
JIMKID Motorsports is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.