Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Because the waves were Bigger back then ;) >

Because the waves were Bigger back then ;)

Notices

Because the waves were Bigger back then ;)

Old 10-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

YES, the waves were definitely bigger. We also had to run the whole course uphill in the snow with no shoes on.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
No Cozy enclosed fighter cockpits, no harnesss (and sometimes no helmets)....just big balls!!

Cheers,

Dave
At a time when 60-70 was "fast" those things may have seemed a million miles from necessary.

I am willing to bet the guys running 150+++ today have just as big a set as your "yesteryear" friends. The difference is they can come home in one piece, still breathing, from MUCH more serious incidents than your "elders".

Don't knock the advancements, your "big balls" guys would've used anything to feel safer and go faster if it was available.

Now, me and my few years of experience will crawl back in my hole so you can ask WTF do I know.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
At a time when 60-70 was "fast" those things may have seemed a million miles from necessary.

I am willing to bet the guys running 150+++ today have just as big a set as your "yesteryear" friends. The difference is they can come home in one piece, still breathing, from MUCH more serious incidents than your "elders".

Don't knock the advancements, your "big balls" guys would've used anything to feel safer and go faster if it was available.

Now, me and my few years of experience will crawl back in my hole so you can ask WTF do I know.
Agree 100%... I have respect for all that have raced and those that still do, no matter the decade.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 10-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Old vs. new

I think that anyone who goes 200 mph in a frickin' boat has a set of titanium stones. Even the girls..........
Old 10-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty
While thats true they might feel different about smaller waves at 100
Both situations seem intense to me

NK

Just to bump the thread, & give my own experience with Nauti Kitty; he has ran ALL of his boats 18ft-41ft Donzis, Cigarettes, Sutphens, Skaters, Sabers, etc, in some of the biggest, scariest water that Lake Michigan has rolled out. I've personally been with him & his boys 5-6 times in water that destroyed other boats along for the ride, & Nauti's equipment showed no signs of giving in.

He is also a hell of a driver in rough conditions, due to the vast experience he's given himself by running those waters 3-4 times a week for years when time allowed. I remember him calling many times on WEDNESDAY's at work, getting ready to go "tackle some 4-6's" by himself for a few hours just for fun.

I'm not here to exaggerate because I've ran my share of what would be considered big water in my 38 Cigarette & 368 Skater in the ocean, Great Lakes, & even some rough lakes around the country like loto.

Nauti Kitty would be the first person I'd jump in with for an offshore run to the Key's with a hurricane approaching given the chance.

As far as Sutphens go: I'm guessing out of hilarity, he has not mentioned that he owned & ran one of the fastest Sutphens on the water through all of the conditions listed above, so his opinions are based on first hand experience in the nicest equipment money can buy from all of the top brands.

Nauti Kitty could be known as one of the kings of running true offshore waters when they are at their worst. I've experienced it with him, & a slew of others through my years of performance boating, & he is no joke or exaggeration of any kind when it comes to these discussions.

He lives real life offshore boating, and not internet or 1940's offshore boating.

Long live Ancestral Spirit!

Last edited by BLee; 10-21-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After spending last night with the OFF participants last night, and in years past, getting to know the Odell Lewises, the Brownies, Bobby Saccente, Rich Lhrs etc. I can honestly say offshore racers of today and yesterday are all cut from the same cloth and I am a huge fan of them and the racers of today.

Scotty B
Old 10-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MissGeicoRacing
Hmmm
GREAT I got it, after the 1st pic LMAO. thats like the 02 cape cod race where race boats broke bottoms and I blew my bolster a part, cracked the dash holding on haha. you don't have to go far off a coast to find rough water.. now to read and look at the rest.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Had a lot of fun watching Geico caveman V hull let it all hang out in the final race. Wish there were some pictures of that. Really nice to of met Scott at the parade saturday. Hope I can make it again next year.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 10-21-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by MissGeicoRacing
After spending last night with the OFF participants last night, and in years past, getting to know the Odell Lewises, the Brownies, Bobby Saccente, Rich Lhrs etc. I can honestly say offshore racers of today and yesterday are all cut from the same cloth and I am a huge fan of them and the racers of today.

Scotty B
Can I get an amen?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Registered

AMEN !!!

Truth is ,, That wether it was in 1956 or 2011
All these ,and those competitors ran on the edge with what they had or have now .

( except Ken Warby he,s on his own planet ,no one will come near his record for a long time to come . IMO )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.