Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best all around boat around 30' (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/264548-best-all-around-boat-around-30-a.html)

blefever 10-23-2011 10:36 AM

My 2 cents!

Do you plan to overnight on the boat?

That will change everything.

We have a Baja 29' Outlaw that we do everything on. Small lakes, Big lakes and a lot of Pacific Ocean open water. We go to Catalina Island and stay on the boat, two of us and the small dog. V birth, sink, porta potty and a marine BBQ and were set. Good storage down below and a cockpit big enough that two can move around and hang out without tripping over each other all the time. Nice useable sun pad too, and love the offshore style swim step.

We tow 300mi minimum each way just to get to where we boat. My F350 tows this boat just fine, but I would not want to tow anything much bigger that far.

Bottom line....we love this boat. BTW, it runs 70 on mild reliable power, and never been scared offshore in nasty water. Fog....now that scares me:)

Superbabi 10-23-2011 10:57 AM

Y2K, is a Great single V, I ran mine for 6 years, the Y2K is one Awesome ride. Also check out on the Frisini 30' Vendetta, Sharp looking Boat.

Jupiter Sunsation 10-23-2011 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Hematite (Post 3534190)
If you're looking for economical then, rest assured, the boat you buy will be worth exactly what you pay for it or less. There's no free lunch with boats or anything for that matter.

I'm curious how the insurance on a Sunsation with twin small blocks would be economical when any insurance quotes that I've seen are based on whether the boat goes over 46mph or not? I'm sure the Sunsation goes faster than that.

Of the boats that you've mentioned, I've looked at a Formula 292 with twin 6.2 Mercs. I can tell you that when it comes to quality of materials and workmanship that this boat is outstanding and the price reflects it. Again, no free lunch. It's quality or "economical", your decision. Never heard anyone complain about the ride on a Formula, either. This one GPS's in the mid 70's. that's all the information that I can offer.

The insurance changes when the total HP is over/under 750 HP mark. Twin 6.2's is 640 hp, any 496's are 750+. Sunsation is insurable with many carriers like State Farm, Progressive since it's brand is still below the radar. Those same carriers will decline other brands like Fountain, Cigarette, Outerlimits just due to the HP these brands come standard with. Somewhat of a "brand restriction" by common carriers.

Before anyone bombs this response with "my Cig is insured by State Farm", in tough markets like Florida, Texas they are way more selective just like in the homeowners insurance coverage.

Jupiter Sunsation 10-23-2011 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Team Shogren (Post 3534320)
Bar none, the best all round 30' boat for rougher water or bigger lakes is the "Thunder" that were built in Illinois by Bob O. Run almost 80 with 500's and will run thru more water than most 35-37''s.

Team Shogren

www.teamshogren.com

Odd response for a Sunsation dealer when the guy specifically brought up the 32 Sunsation as a consideration. But then I looked at your site and the Sunsation logo is gone, inventory is gone. There are plenty of Sunsations floating around Michigan's lakes, especially since they are made in MI!

Note that this guy is boating in Lousiana.....

Wasted Income 10-23-2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 3534457)
Odd response for a Sunsation dealer when the guy specifically brought up the 32 Sunsation as a consideration. But then I looked at your site and the Sunsation logo is gone, inventory is gone..

I was wondering the same?

POWERPLAY J 10-23-2011 11:17 AM

35 Fountain fits the 30' criteria. :evilb:

Sunsation is my choice. Formula is my second. If your set on smallies.

golfmaxgolf 10-23-2011 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J (Post 3534464)
35 Fountain fits the 30' criteria. :evilb:

Sunsation is my choice. Formula is my second. If your set on smallies.

NICE!

Uncle Dave 10-23-2011 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by shinglman (Post 3534429)
For quality of build,finishes and resale you can't beat a sunny or Formula.

Laveycrafts finish and gelcoat work will give anyone including Sunny a run for their money.

Laveys offshore race record in this boat size range is markedly superior to every brand except Jokers.

Although a nice factory boat the finish paint/gel work on the Formula isn't even in the running in this regard.

Uncle Dave

Keytime 10-23-2011 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by blefever (Post 3534444)
My 2 cents!

Do you plan to overnight on the boat?

That will change everything.

We have a Baja 29' Outlaw that we do everything on. Small lakes, Big lakes and a lot of Pacific Ocean open water. We go to Catalina Island and stay on the boat, two of us and the small dog. V birth, sink, porta potty and a marine BBQ and were set. Good storage down below and a cockpit big enough that two can move around and hang out without tripping over each other all the time. Nice useable sun pad too, and love the offshore style swim step.

We tow 300mi minimum each way just to get to where we boat. My F350 tows this boat just fine, but I would not want to tow anything much bigger that far.

Bottom line....we love this boat. BTW, it runs 70 on mild reliable power, and never been scared offshore in nasty water. Fog....now that scares me:)

Throw a Checkmate 283 Convincor on that pile while you're at it for the same reasons. :drink: Good bang for the buck.

Keytime 10-23-2011 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Team Shogren (Post 3534320)
Bar none, the best all round 30' boat for rougher water or bigger lakes is the "Thunder" that were built in Illinois by Bob O. Run almost 80 with 500's and will run thru more water than most 35-37''s.

Team Shogren

www.teamshogren.com

Pardon my ignorance. Is this an Active Thunder?