Best Bang for your Buck Cat?

Notices

Best Bang for your Buck Cat?

Old 12-12-2011, 03:10 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

This Spectre?
http://http://www.teamshogren.com/pr...ectre-cat.html

Honestly, I'd call RPM if your looking for a new cat with your criteria. Jeff has nothing but great things to say about his. I think a RPM with 525/XR setup is pretty close to a 100mph and they are extremely stable boats. I'd say Jeff's monster motored RPM is a great example of what those boats can handle.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JFT
Interesting. Can anyone expand on this?

Thank you all for the feedback.

JF
Well, the 725 Ilmor/indy package weights in at 1236lbs. wet and the Merc 700/NXT weights in at 1548lbs. dry. Further more, the NXT drive is rated for 800hp/ft.lbs, where as the Ilmor Indy drive is rated for 1000hp/ft.lbs. The comparable setup would be the Merc 700/NXT/SSM#6 package, which is quite a bit more expensive than the Ilmor/Indy and even heavier than the 700/NXT1 package. The Ilmor/Indy package is also cheaper than the 700/NXT1 package. Besides that, many will testify that service from Merc, especially if it's a warranty issue, in a big PITA, and virtually non exsistant. Ilmor on the other hand, is known to be very helpfull and for great service. The rebuild times for the engines seems to be one of the debated issues, but it was up some time ago, and Merc seemed to have trouble giving a clear answer. Here is a part of an email with the answer I got from Ian Hawkins @ Ilmorand it is as follows.
"We pride ourselves on our engines durability and feel our engines could fit your needs, our engine here in the USA typically run 300 hours before needing any work, we recommend oil changes every 25hours, these engines are relatively simple and can be maintained by any competent marina.".
On top of that, he offered to train my local shop, so that I would have an Ilmor trained mechanic/shop close by (I live in Denmark). Mercury and Ilmor both have a 1 year limited warraty, but again, many have major issues with Merc, even over little things. They will usually try to pass it on as something you or a third party did, I know they did, when one of the exhaust manifolds failed within 3 months on my brothers 496HO in hes boat. Just do a search here, and you can find plenty of Merc customers with problems.
When it comes to fuel consumption, the Merc 700 uses about 70 gph wot, where as the Ilmor uses 50 gph wot.

I hope this answer some of your questions.
C_Spray, ILMORDude and ILMORGirl on the board are also very helpfull with info. I'm sure they be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 12-12-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Well, the 725 Ilmor/indy package weights in at 1236lbs. wet and the Merc 700/NXT weights in at 1548lbs. dry. Further more, the NXT drive is rated for 800hp/ft.lbs, where as the Ilmor Indy drive is rated for 1000hp/ft.lbs. The comparable setup would be the Merc 700/NXT/SSM#6 package, which is quite a bit more expensive than the Ilmor/Indy and even heavier. The Ilmor/Indy package is also cheaper than the 700/NXT1 package. Besides that, many will testify that service from Merc, especially if it's a warranty issue, in a big PITA, and virtually non exsistant. Ilmor on the other hand, is known to be very helpfull and for great service. The rebuild times for the engines seems to be one of the debated issues, but it was up some time ago, and Merc seemed to have trouble giving a clear answer. Here is a part of an email with the answer I got from Ian Hawkins @ Ilmorand it is as follows.
"We pride ourselves on our engines durability and feel our engines could fit your needs, our engine here in the USA typically run 300 hours before needing any work, we recommend oil changes every 25hours, these engines are relatively simple and can be maintained by any competent marina.".
On top of that, he offered to train my local shop, so that I would have an Ilmor trained mechanic/shop close by (I live in Denmark). Mercury and Ilmor both have a 1 year limited warraty, but again, many have major issues with Merc, even over little things. They will usually try to pass it on as something you or a third party did, I know they did, when one of the exhaust manifolds failed within 3 months on my brothers 496HO in hes boat. Just do a search here, and you can find plenty of Merc customers with problems.
When it comes to fuel consumption, the Merc 700 uses about 70 gph wot, where as the Ilmor uses 50 gph wot.

I hope this answer some of your questions.
C_Spray, ILMORDude and ILMORGirl on the board are also very helpfull with info. I'm sure they be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.
I
I've read many prices on the two packages, from what I've read the 725 ilmor/Indy is 62k and the 700merc /next is 65k can someone confirm these. I do agree ilmor is a better package. I'm looking at power options for the new cat
Old 12-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will soon post the listing for the 32 spectre. It has twin 625 Ilmores in it. The amount of extras in this boat for the money will blow you away.
2007 32 Spectre CS
This is an amazing example of the beautiful Spectre 32CS. Ultra clean, totally custom and super low hours with Extreme custom trailer. One amazing machine!!
Bagged and bulkheaded layup
Twin 625 Ilmores with bravo xr drives
131 MPH
Extreme totally custom triple axle matching trailer with storage box all led lighting, and custom wheels and tires
Only 75 hours barely used.
Stellings standoff boxes
Emco hydraulic steering
Totally custom poker run interior
Electric engine hatch lifts
Electric storage hatch lift with built in amazing speaker system
$40,000 Amazing stereo with 5 batteries and 5 Zapco amplifiers
12-6.5 image dynamic speakers, 2 18 inch subwoofers in a custom enclosure, 6 image dynamics horn drivers, 6 image dynamics super tweeters, 1 9.0 Zapco competition amp, 2 6.0 Zapco competition amps, 2 4.0 Zapco competition amps, 2 30 farahad capacitors, Alpine/Ipod head unit, Zapco SX-SL EQ and crossover, Audio control epic center, 15 farahad capacitor, Honda 2000 generator, and Cascade audio 75 amp power supply unit,
Onboard generator system
75 amp Cascade audio power supply unit.
Underwater transom lights
Tunnel colored lights that match the interior color lights. Switchable with touch of a button. Blue/Red/White
Changeable interior lighting. Changes color with the touch of a button. Blue/Red/White
Billet foot washer in front of sponson
Hidden aqua step swim ladder
Custom embroidered carpets
Garmin flat screen GPS navigation unit
Livorsi marine GPS prop slip calculator/speedo/dual tachs
3 GPS Speedos 1 in back 2 in front
Heads up trim indicators
Custom carbon switch panel
Billet cup holders
Custom matching bezels everywhere
Automatic electric pop up navigation light
Billet LED front navigation light
Automatic fire suppression system
Billet/Chrome fire extinguisher on billet mount inside of boat
Billet battery boxes
Isotta custom two color matching steering wheel
Pop up cleats
Billet mushroom buttons
Livorsi billet throttles
Billet spike holder
Comes with box anchor and rope/spike/life jackets/medical kit/air horn/matching buoys/matching ropes
Old 12-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The boat below is mine...Howard line-up is the superior boat to the Nordic. If you're going to spend that kind of money..get a used DCB or Howard...something that is considered the best and it will be there for you when you sell it. Other brands will cost you in the long run with poor depreciation. I won't sell you on my boat specifcally but the Howards listed in the classifieds are all under 150k - are all faster,are a better boat, and will be worth more a year from now unlike your "new" Nordic will... Look at all the magazine articles on line...how many are about Nordic...how many about Howard...The awards Howard has received over the last 10yrs speak volumes...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o41570-en.html