Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Decided to build my own diesels (pic heavy) >

Decided to build my own diesels (pic heavy)

Notices

Decided to build my own diesels (pic heavy)

Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to put a diesel in a boat I owned. I have had a couple good running diesel's myself and am a member of diesel race team. Also big fan of the inline 6...Cummins myself not the same as you but same concept you have. I had a nasty triple turbo setup that supports 1000HP at 2000CFM, the shop that built them just released a bigger set that flows 3800CFM. And make 4 pounds at 1300 RPM's so they are ready to go...
Big set
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EBTU-hbzys
My set

My kit used 3 50mm gates two on the manifold and one at the end of the intermediate pipe. I ran 90 pounds of boost through this motor hundreds of times on just H-11's. The drive pressure was much lower than boost pressure. I am not a fan of running true twins and splitting the cylinders myself, I would compound it.

Last edited by JD Dearden; 01-23-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:03 PM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
I would love to put a diesel in a boat I owned. I have had a couple good running diesel's myself and am a member of diesel race team. Also big fan of the inline 6...Cummins myself not the same as you but same concept you have. I had a nasty triple turbo setup that supports 1000HP at 2000CFM, the shop that built them just released a bigger set that flows 3800CFM. And make 4 pounds at 1300 RPM's so they are ready to go...
Big set
My set

My kit used 3 50mm gates two on the manifold and one at the end of the intermediate pipe. I ran 90 pounds of boost through this motor hundreds of times on just H-11's. The drive pressure was much lower than boost pressure.
that's a total different engine and is a real cummins not a vm motori ,but love it also drive it every day in my 2500 ram whit lots of pleasure !! but the qsb was to big and heavy for my boat.

triple set is insane ! friend of mine have a dual set up and it s pulling real hard , i just have a smarty
Old 01-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bor
that's a total different engine and is a real cummins not a vm motori ,but love it also drive it every day in my 2500 ram whit lots of pleasure !! but the qsb was to big and heavy for my boat.

triple set is insane ! friend of mine have a dual set up and it s pulling real hard , i just have a smarty
I got a little ahead of myself and went back and saw the size of that motor....If I was going to do this I would use a duramax. The team I am on just put a 7.0 in the rail that is internally balanced.

Not trying to derail here I just love talking diesels....
Old 01-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Big set
My set

My kit used 3 50mm gates two on the manifold and one at the end of the intermediate pipe. I ran 90 pounds of boost through this motor hundreds of times on just H-11's. The drive pressure was much lower than boost pressure. I am not a fan of running true twins and splitting the cylinders myself, I would compound it.
Respect
my engines wouldn't stand the EMP
I had a twin turbo dodge ram... I couldn't find a drive that the cummins wouldn't eat
Old 01-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As I understand this truck had stock 5.9 parts in the bottom end for a long while.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxGTKKXK4og[/YOUTUBE]
Old 01-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"...I had a twin turbo dodge ram... I couldn't find a drive that the cummins wouldn't eat."

All the stock light duty diesel transmissions will fail much beyond a 100hp increase.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:51 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
"...I had a twin turbo dodge ram... I couldn't find a drive that the cummins wouldn't eat."

All the stock light duty diesel transmissions will fail much beyond a 100hp increase.
no, HP doesn't kill bravo's, torque does

For everybody who tunes in now and didn't read everything :-)

Reason's why I chose mercedes:

1. I am putting 2 in 1 boat so seize does matter as it is a 23 FT
2. I don't want a diesel that makes 1000 NM at 2200 RPM (cubic inch = torque) so that's why I decided for a 3,2L
3. Weight
4. Availability (here in Europe)
5. Reliability
6. Proven to be HP hungry

Last edited by diesel2fast4u; 01-24-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Great thread guys! Keep the posts coming!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve 1
As I understand this truck had stock 5.9 parts in the bottom end for a long while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxGTKKXK4og
No that truck has a built Scheid motor that makes about 1600 HP on diesel fuel. Absolutly nothing stock about it.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No that truck has a built Scheid motor that makes about 1600 HP on diesel fuel. Absolutly nothing stock about it.
I realise he has built a new motor and a LOT of way cool stuff,the first motor according to people that know him, said it had a stock crank ,rods and pistons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.