Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
5 days/4 nights on a 24' cuddy in the Keys ;) >

5 days/4 nights on a 24' cuddy in the Keys ;)

Notices

5 days/4 nights on a 24' cuddy in the Keys ;)

Old 02-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default 5 days/4 nights on a 24' cuddy in the Keys ;)

The 1st real trip with and on the boat since a 2 yr restoration. We had it down once before but did not stay on it and this time we did.
Was as big of test for the Mrs too as was her 1st time, this long on this small of boat. I let her make the call when it was time to leave or get a hotel room.
She had so much fun she didn't even want to tie up at a marina so we'd have showers/restrooms! She absolutely loved the solitude of being at anchor. We spent the better part of the 1st 2 days doing absolutely nothing.
We got to Key Largo Friday night and launched at and stayed at the Caribbean Club where I lost my 1st bet w/the Mrs.
I bet her there wasn't enough Quervo in the bar to make karaoke seem like a good idea. Seems they stocked way more than I thought they did

Mama waiting on my world class breakfast the next morning.

"Gary Goulash": red skinned tators, green/red peppers, onions, sausage, eggs and cheese prepared on my $20. propane grill. Killer!

Sun set on the hook, night #2.

Toilet seats line one of the cuts on our way to Islamorada on day #4.

Couple of clip ons at the infamous Islamorada sand bar.

Another toy at the sand bar. Was another guy there w/a similar rig mounted to a 9' inflatable dinghy!

The Mrs on the way back to the bar Notice my home brewed speakers suction cupped to the motors. Notice the tri-toon next door w/the 300 Verado

Our Craigslist folding bikes being shuttled back to the boat on our $20 dinghy after a day of exploring.

The boardwalk from the Ocean View Pub to the dock where we spent night #4.

The dock. This place is way cool. This dock is mostly unknown by anyone but the locals. They have a small hotel/pool, killer food etc.
A short bike ride from there gets you to multiple other establishments in Islamorada.

Last one for now. This is a hover craft they are now running out of the place next door to the Caribbean Club. They have two and worked on them non stop the whole time we were there. First time we saw it run.

Sorry for the book but thought after the popularity of the 25' and under thread that some of you guys w/the small boats might enjoy seeing what you can do if you plan well.
My wife was the true champion of the trip and was a trooper through the whole thing. She was ready to stay another day until I screwed up and made her ride up/over the hill to a draw bridge before realizing we went the wrong direction and we had to go back over it I knew we were done as soon as I saw the look in her eyes

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 02-20-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great trip report! Lucky to be able to do that! Your boat looks good too, HUGE for the LOA.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I love hearing trips like this, staying on the boat and just exploring looks like you had a great time congrats.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

you, my friend, are a true boater thats my kinda trip right there. Fast an light and enjoying every minute of it.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

looks like a damn good time to me!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

Thanks for the kind words guys. It was a hoot.
One of my favorite things about a trip like this is always the people you meet by taking the path less traveled.
Right before the picture was taken of the boat at the Ocean View a guy walked down the boardwalk to take in the view. He saw me loading up our folding bikes and complemented me on making the effort to take them along and get some exercise etc. He too was a boater and understood how much they broaden your travels. He then tells me that he and his buddies are on a trip from Ft.Myers to Key West by bicycle! They had already been on the road for 2 wks. Said he'd been to the O.V. in the '80's and wanted to see if it was still here.
Where else do you meet people like that?

GlassDave, among the many Ohioan's (damn yankee's!) we met on our trip was a couple from Toohdalidue
Last night on the boat (@ Ocean View) the Mrs crashed early so I jumped on a bike and went exploring.
Pulled into one tiki bar where a guy had a high zoot chopper w/ape hangers parked right in front of the entrance. I parked my tiny fold up bike (backed in of course) right in front of it. Was freagin hilarious! Ended up setting where I could see right out the door and enjoy everyones reaction as they left. (took a picture but was too dark to show up)
Went across the street to Hog Heaven (one of our favorites and has a killer boat harbor right by the bar) and was served by a bartender from Cuyahoga Falls Ohio. He was a young red neck that did not like me telling the Michiganders beside me that he was from Cleveland

Was an epic trip and a long time coming. When I had my old Sonic on Lake Erie this was a normal thing buy I did the math and realized it's now been almost 10 yrs since I was able to do them! W/that much time passed I was nervous as to whether it would be as I remembered it. Cheryl (my wife) in a moment of frustration with the long and expensive restoration process even wondered if now being in our early/mid 50's maybe too old for these trips.
Happy to report that was not the case. We even took our baths off the back of the boat in 70* water. We expected to feel nasty afterwards from the salt water but it was ZERO issue. I actually have a portable shower in the cuddy but elected not to fill/use it. Next time I will though as it works great w/that much sun to heat the water.

I would encourage any/all of you w/the smaller boats and on a tight budget like we are to take a similar trip. One of the biggest initial hurdles is always getting the better 1/2 to agree to it. Funny thing is, if you do your planning right and only do it when the weather is good, they will have more fun than staying in a hotel. I tried several times to get Cheryl to agree to get a room for at least one night.
That was actually our initial plan. Anchor, dock/marina, hotel, repeat.
After the first night she was sold

Finances are tight now and the motors on the boat in those pix's are sold (I have another pair on stands and waiting) so it will be a while before the next trip but we are excited to think of what/where is next w/our ultimate being West End on Grand Bahama Island.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 02-20-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see ya found toilet seat cut
Old 02-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trip

that looks like alot of fun , The wife and I are thinking of doing that also . it is just to far away to go to fl. Tim
Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Great pics of an awesome trip! Love seeing pics of peoples Keys adventures.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like a nice trip. glad to see im not the only one that does trips like these. just wish i was down there doing them instead of up here. how many miles did you travel total?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.