Thunder over louisville, ky?? >

Thunder over louisville, ky??

Notices

Thunder over louisville, ky??

Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks a lot for the tips fellas.

Tman- Unfortunately we won't be overnighting it. That is one of the things I did think about though, was the after fireworks boat traffic and launch ramp traffic. That might deter us from going if it really is that bad. One thing I can't stand is waiting on a bunch of inexperienced and possibly alcohol infused idiots at the ramp. Especially at night on a flowing river.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=290enticer;3656344]tman, I do have a radio and always call ahead, the last couple of years they would have the locks ready for me and i just drive in, several times locked through with a tow, this is at mcalpine here in the ville. Thanks for the info, I will be running at 30mph, i have 130gal of fuel on board, im thinking surely i can make it to cincy in one tank for sure?? Were gonna go out and head that way one weekend. what is the average depth up there,

AVERAGE DEPTH IS PROBABLY MID 40'S
Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Registered

290. Where do you overnight at? I have heard there is a long idle zone set up by the police that takes a while to get upstream.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Registered

FYI was just out on the Ohio in Lville 4 days ago & hardly any debris in water. Also for any out of towners Rivers edge marina normally sells fuel cheaper than the rest. I was told their pizza was good too.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:02 AM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Depending on water conditions we might put in at Madison and come down. Looks like alot of fun. Will need to find a marina close because of idle zone and I won't run at night. Should be ok on fuel but is there a dock with 93 oct ?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Shoot'n Motion @ 1/80 Sec
Commercial Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Experiencing Thunder from the River is definitely a unique perspective. The picket line that is set up by Louisville Metro PD/ Coast Guard, starts at the Big Four Bridge and continues upriver. You cannot anchor past the Bridge, unless you are one of the lucky few who gets one of the slots in Waterfront Park, if the docks are open. Cox' Park is the closest public access ramp to Downtown on the Kentucky side. There are several ramps on the Indiana side that are fairly close to downtown also.

I have watched/ shot pics of Thunder from just about every angle, on both sides of the river, since Thunder was moved to the river. If anyone is considering watching from land and would like to know where the best places are to watch from, please ask.

Rivers Edge Marina does have some very good pizza, and the owner is very friendly. The family that owns Admiral's Anchor are also very friendly, and quite helpful when asked. I cannot answer the fuel questions, as I have no clue.

Louisville is definitely a blend of Southern Hospitality & Northern Culture. Thunder Over Louisville is an awesome spectacle & experience. This year is a salute to the U.S. Marine Corp, so it will be heavily stacked with USMC Aviation. Also the Air Show has been extended an hour this year, so that should cut down on the waiting whether your in a boat or watching from land.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Registered

JETDOC,
We usually stay in party cove or we will run upsteam to grassy flats and stay along the sand bar, depending on water depth, there is a really nice sand bank around there, we also have tied off around king fish and stay the night. We put in early sat morning and don't come out until sunday, don't fight the wait on the ramp. Captains Quarters has an awsome sunday brunch. It is idle speed from big four to six mile, normally once you get past cox's partk..not much traffic left. I do alot of running at night depending on water conditions.. Hope to see everyone out there!!! Can't wait..