Notices

LED strip lighting

Old 05-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Those pics are perfect. Did you drill a new hole to run the wiring through or was that hole already in there? Seems like you could use the predrilled tweeter wire holes if you have to drill holes.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drilled the hole. The remaining speakers I used a smaller drill since I used smaller wire, 22awg. This one was my 1st one and had planned on using a 18 AWG wire that had a pretty thick casing.... which proved to be to big for routing, plus larger wire than needed.

The tweeter wires have rubber seals on them where they pass thru housing no room for additional wires. PLus the tweeter wires are at 3 and 9. I wanted the lighting ends to be at bottom of speakers incase there would have been a slight dark spot from no lights in that area. Turns out it wasn't an issue.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx for the posting and sending the pics and info!
Old 06-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Registered

Bert,

Question for you. It's off topic for this thread, I hope you don't mind. Back when you were looking and comparing boats to buy, what was the outcome when you compared the Shockwave to the Sunny? Did you ever get a chance to drive both? How did they compare to the Lavey you ended up with? Every time I do a search on here for info on a boat that I may be interested in you seem to have shown interest in too.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vindicator101
Bert,

Question for you. It's off topic for this thread, I hope you don't mind. Back when you were looking and comparing boats to buy, what was the outcome when you compared the Shockwave to the Sunny? Did you ever get a chance to drive both? How did they compare to the Lavey you ended up with? Every time I do a search on here for info on a boat that I may be interested in you seem to have shown interest in too.
I never rode on a Shockwave, been on both a 32 and 288 Sunny MCOBs. The 288 was small, it was about the size of my PQ260. The 32 Sunny was about the size of my 29, a hair longer. The interior of a Sunny cannot be beat, the layout, the look, the integrated seating up in the bow was awesome. The conditions are tough to compare, the day out on the 32 it was only about 1 to 2' chop, not real snotty like most days where I boat. The boat had twins 496s and mine is a single. The Sunny was is about 2-3mph faster, we got up to 79mph and he said best was 81. My best was 79 with perfect conditions, 75-77mph is usually the norm just depending on the wind. I definitely felt the jarring in the Sunny more which I thought was strange because it's a much heavier boat. The mid-range acceleration was pretty good. The cockpit is definitely bigger in the Lavey, there's LOTS of room on my boat. Rigging on the Lavey is incredible, every wire is encased in a tube, every corner is sealed. I tried running some LEDs and I didn't in some spots because didn't have time to plan out the drilling needed. I thought I could weasel a wire through a corner where two sections met, I couldn't, they were glassed in, even in the interior.

I like both boats, I love the look of the Sunny, it's about 2-3mph faster but the Lavey did every thing the Sunny did, it's about 1700lbs lighter and handled the slop better. Most of all, the Lavey was about $25-30k cheaper. Uncle Dave and I chatted about the boats, he's pretty dialed in with what makes a Laveycraft in the top tier, he had me convinced and he was right. Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Registered

Yes it helps. Thanks. I was hopeing you had been on a shockwave as I have not even seen one in person other than maybe at a boat show but I don't remember. Being here on the east coast doesn't help in that there are non around me to look at. I love the layout of a the Sunsation 288 MCOB but I've only been on one that was sitting on a trailer never been for a ride. Actually it being on the smaller side works out better for me as storage space at my house is limited. As for the Lavey, I think I've read every comment on here about them and have no doubt their quality is unsurpassed. I've found in comparing the pricing of Sunny and Lavey, atleast the 288 to the 29, the Sunnys are around $10- $15K cheaper. That's also about how far off I am in my budget from the asking price of yours. I still can't believe your family doesn't like that boat! From all I've read from your posts in what you where looking for at the begining it seems to be perfect. Makes me a little apprehensive since you were looking for pretty much what I'm looking for and look how it turned out. Perfect boat that the fam doesn't like. I feel your pain with that concept. Thanks again for the info. It may not be the last question from me..........

P.S. Haul the Lavey to Annapolis and take me for a ride. Maybe I'll fall in love with it and sell a kidney or something for the extra cash.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vindicator101
Yes it helps. Thanks. I was hopeing you had been on a shockwave as I have not even seen one in person other than maybe at a boat show but I don't remember. Being here on the east coast doesn't help in that there are non around me to look at. I love the layout of a the Sunsation 288 MCOB but I've only been on one that was sitting on a trailer never been for a ride. Actually it being on the smaller side works out better for me as storage space at my house is limited. As for the Lavey, I think I've read every comment on here about them and have no doubt their quality is unsurpassed. I've found in comparing the pricing of Sunny and Lavey, atleast the 288 to the 29, the Sunnys are around $10- $15K cheaper. That's also about how far off I am in my budget from the asking price of yours. I still can't believe your family doesn't like that boat! From all I've read from your posts in what you where looking for at the begining it seems to be perfect. Makes me a little apprehensive since you were looking for pretty much what I'm looking for and look how it turned out. Perfect boat that the fam doesn't like. I feel your pain with that concept. Thanks again for the info. It may not be the last question from me..........

P.S. Haul the Lavey to Annapolis and take me for a ride. Maybe I'll fall in love with it and sell a kidney or something for the extra cash.
If I bring it out to Annapolis, most definitely, I really like bringing people out on it when they never been on one before. I might be gone for the month of August, I don't have that kind of cash to bring it out just for a month and half of boating and then bring it back to TX. I come back to Texas in Jan next year.

You can't really compare the 288 to the 29 as far as size. The Sunny is about a 27 and the 29 Lavey is about 5 inches short of 31. Additionally the MCOB are usually about $5-7k more than the cuddies for both builders. Best keep the comparison of the 288 Sunny to the 2750 Lavey and the 32 Sunny to the 29 Lavey.

Yeah I thought I nailed down my perfect dream boat too. Well I did, just not the perfect boat according to my family. Last weekend I had 10 kids, 3 adults, plus myself and we had room for more. That was the biggest complaint with my PQ260, just not enough room. She really doesn't like the small doors on the cabin either, it's funny, because the doors are the largest I've seen on a MCOB. There is a long list of things that the wife and my kids don't like about it.

Now Quent's 2750 is full open bow with no cabin and is gorgeous! Plus he's currently bumping up the power over 1000hp! Check out the pics of his boat. Wonder if he'll swap? lol
Old 06-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I used LED speaker rings behind the 7.7's.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
Lots of people have used the flexible LED strips. If you are looking to just do one color, you could just buy a strip of that color. If you buy the RGB strips you will need the control to put it on the color you want.

You know you can buy rolls of the stuff and cut to the size you want.
That looks like a fun little project that I think I'll look into in a couple weeks. Thanks for the share.