Notices

Outer Limits SV 29

Old 05-28-2012, 05:16 AM
Registered

Received 545 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer35
2005 39 OL quatro with 700's ran 112, 29' full pleasure in testing phase with a stock 600 runs 102.. 2 patents on hold for the technology they use on the lay up on the hull.... boats are fast, and setting the bar for everyone else who wants to go fast

"... 2 patents ... on the layup " !

wow, that's what I'm talking' about.

When the patents get approved, I'd like to understand what those are. When the patents has become public knowledge.

Today's cutting edge technology, becomes tomorrow's standard technology for builders. Then (we) the consumers benefit...cats and V lovers alike!

Last edited by noli; 05-28-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
Is the 600 Sci stock?

A builder can only generate new business ( by way of new sales ) by making the package's speed reproducible. It would only hurt OL if they "touched" the 600sci thus generating more HP. It would hurt them when a new customer orders the SV29 and puts a 600SCi only to find out that he's not getting the same speeds as the factory, editorials, and boats testers speed claims.

Reproducible performance is what many builders (OL included) will try to attain to get new business and repeat business.

For example, a customer comes and sez I want a 30 foot cat with twin stock 300XS to go XXX MPH, we would tell them:
  • get a 4" CMC transom jack
  • order yourself propeller "Y"
  • spin the props out
  • align the bullet of the nose cone at "Z" location
  • do a few speed runs and begin balancing the cat with weghts in 6 different hull locations
  • trim the propeller shaft so that when at full speed, the shaft runs parallel with the bottom of the hull
  • too much positive trim causes wasted propeller thrust (an example of an un-balanced cat)
  • then report back to the factory what speeds are being observed with this setup
  • might suggest sending the 300XS lowers to Wilson Custom Marine to allow the prop to get a cleaner water bite

Last edited by noli; 05-28-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not underestimate the aerodynamic advantage this and other later OL boats have. I can tell you in our SVL at 90 MPH 78% of our thrust goes to water drag and 22% to wind drag. As you reduce the wind drag the speed does not increase at the rate the numbers would imply because the water drag is greater.
It is very important to have a good aero design to get max results not just for wind drag but also for where and how much wind drag creates pressure (weight at speed) on the hull.
Steve
Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

You are so correct about the importance of aerodynamics Steve. When I was recenty at Hustler dialing in the new 39 Rockit with a pair of my 1100's, I was talking with Joe, the owner of Hustler. He was telling me about the process they went through while designing the Rockit. I don't remember the exact numbers, but there was like a 10-12 mph difference in speed just by redesigning the deck. This is in a 115 mph boat. There was nothing noticable to affect the air flow across the deck. It was just the way the air spilled off of the deck that the boat didn't like. We are talking about a 10% difference. That's huge. It's kind of hard to believe but it's absolutely true.

I'm sure that OL goes through a similar design and testing process with all of their boats. I had the pleasure of climbing around the 29 and talking with Mike at the Miami show and I can say the boat is incredible. They really hit a home run with the boat. I didn't expect anything less from them though. They build some absolutely incredible boats.
Eddie
Old 05-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was the same concept Baja was starting to do on the 30 and 35 Outlaws. They did extensive wind tunnel testing on the decks and by reducing the wind drag, were able to increase the speed of the boats in the water without stepping the hulls. I'm sure the SV 29 has a light layup, efficient hull and by the looks of it, should cut throught the air nicely. Thats a recipe for a fast boat.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Registered

Wow never thought of how the deck played a part in speed.

Just as important as the setup below the water line

Old 05-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, the higher the speed the more the deck plays a part. look at the big MTI cats and others, the rear is shaped just like an airplane wing. Bernoulli's Principle at work.

I'm a little shocked at the top speed of the OL29. Couldn't help but wonder if the 600 was tweaked at all.
even if only to up the redline to 5800+? But if it truly is 100% bone stock that is incredible.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Importance of a total package design?

Here's my slightly educated guess:
1. Superlight cored layup
2. Not to wide at the water line (waterline beam), my guess maybe only 7 feet or less. Nice waterline length ratios. Small wetted running surface at speed.
3. Good step and pad design. Boat runs at nice flat angles at speed , good balance and CG design.
4. Good aerodynamics-look at how the flat deck blends to the layed back winshield and how the top edge of the windshield blends very nicely with the back engine lid. Well Shaped back edge and corners. Low profile (small freeboard) lowers the frontal area exposed to air at speeds. Aerodynamics in any performance boat pushing air at 90+ miles per hour is hugely important and many times overlooked as a speed integrator!
5. Lastly, kinda wonder how much that 600sci has been tweaked as you all know Dustin at Whipple has done a lot of 600sci tweaking with his 600sci & 700sci stage 1,2&3 packages and tuning and he is Family at OL so I suspect it's even good PR for Mercury to have that mill putting out a nice 700HP! and topping 100mph in a production albeit expensive 30 foot single engine performance boat?
Just my opinions and guesses, but in any event it shows what can be done nicely with todays hull design and engine packages when all is put together in a nice package.
Kudos to OL and Whipple for making it happen! Gives a few other boat builders a target to shoot for and the buyers a better boat availability in the long run!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I have nothing more than 3rd party here say that the PCM was remapped. Obviously I did not see it done just someone told someone that told me. Regardless of what was done, excess of 100 mph in a single 29 is very impressive. Can't imagine the engineering, thought and testing involved to get it there. Nevermind the seeds to try for it. Could have been a ton of money wasted
Old 05-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I am telling you guys the motor was stock when I was in the boat and it ran 97mph with five guys and then it ran 102 in the shoot out with just Mike. He is like a horse jockey though :-) LOL

The ecu was handed to us from Merc with the latest cal and that was the ecu that was in the boat. Mike was not going to void the warranty on his customers boat. Dustin and I tried to talk him into it but he said no way.

You guys will see that with mods it will go much faster now that the warranty is gone anyway.

I know it's hard to believe and if I hadn't been in the boat myself I would not believe it either.

This is a amazing boat and will change the v bottom world.

MP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.